News:

One of our core values:  "THEY REFILLED MY RITALIN AND BY THE WAY I WANNA EAT YOUR BEAR HEAD."

Main Menu

List of Discordian books

Started by Cain, May 09, 2006, 01:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

RAW was on That 70's Show?  Did he provide Ashton Kutcher with any enlightenment?  Did he help him find his car? 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

bubz_the_troll

I have a copy of the Steve Jackson Games edition of the PD.  Content-wise what's the difference between that version and the hard cover edition mentioned a few pages back?

AFK

Well, I don't have my hands on a hardcover yet.  I know it doesn't have the "extra" material in the SJ version that was submitted by SJGames fans.  Beyond that you'd have to ask Syn.  If you go to www.poee.co.uk you can get the details there. 

Sweety

a good one is alice in wonderland. I found that its productive to alternatively read one sentence from the xtian bible and one sentence from alice- try it out- its fun!  :mrgreen:
(I'm a tiny girl.)²

Triple Zero

actually they did make a bible-alice wordsalad once via one of them markov chain random prose generator things.

sorry if that doesn't make sense to you, but i don't feel like explaining it now. maybe i can dig up the link.

ok little explanation: basically they made a statistical model of the words in the bible (or, part of the old testament i think) and one of alice in wonderland, threw them both together, threw a few (computer) dice, and generated a piece of text that statistically looks like both the bible and alice in wonderland.

it's mostly random sentences that start out as bible text and then with a sudden turn of phrase start talking about the mad hatter and tea or something.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Applecopylacse

This is my first post...
I've never read such a heap of Scheisse in my life,
love it

x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0xxxx
If an apple contains worms,
are they worm apples or apple worms?

Payne

Quote from: Applecopylacse on July 01, 2007, 07:49:04 PM
This is my first post...
love it

Get used to it.

Also, you can make an introduction at the apple talk introductions thread, and a perusal of the Black Iron Prison thread is often a good way to catch up on what we (most of us) do here.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Payne on July 01, 2007, 07:51:40 PM
a perusal of the Black Iron Prison thread is often a good way to catch up on what we (most of us) do here.

THIS IS A LIE.

but do it anyway
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Payne

Quote from: triple zero on July 01, 2007, 08:15:10 PM
Quote from: Payne on July 01, 2007, 07:51:40 PM
a perusal of the Black Iron Prison thread is often a good way to catch up on what we (most of us) do here.

THIS IS A LIE.

but do it anyway

If he has to do it anyway, then what does it matter if it it's a lie?

Don't be working your freaky deaky magic on him, The Scottish Empire claimed him first!

Triple Zero

ah of course ..

DO IT, NEW GUY, DO IT

LISTEN TO THE SCOTTISH EMPIRE

THEY KNOW WHAT IS BEST

AFK

Nah, they're all leading you astray.  You really should go digging through the Discordian Recipe sub-forum.  And then post your favorite recipe for Apple Pie.  Everyone knows that enlightenment can only truly be had when you are enjoying a fine and flaky crust. 

hooplala

Quote from: Applecopylacse on July 01, 2007, 07:49:04 PM
This is my first post...
love it

You poor poor bastard.  RUN FOR THE HILLS!
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I think that Bob's reading is extremely good and useful... if you know what's going on (or was going on) before the book was written, and then in conjunction with several of his other books. His style can appear insane (but remember, he's only half the author).

The first time through, I recommend people read it as a work of fiction. However, for Discordians, the book is a near perfect study of how to properly pull of a international mindfuck, while at the same time spreading memes, meme bombs and meme clusters... and getting paid for it. Masks of the Illuminati can be considered a cross between a mild mindfuck and a step by step guide on doing mindfucks. The Cosmic Trigger series provides an extremely  interesting journal of self-mindfucking, while discussing the philosophical/psychological causes, effects and principles which make up most of Bob's system of Model Agnosticism. Quantum Psychology and Prometheus Rising provide excellent sources of guides, experiments and exercises which I think may be necessary for a large segment of our species if they hope to break out of prison.

To read Bob for humor can be enjoyable... however, Twain did a better job of satire in fiction. To read Bob as a psychologist or philosopher will probably be frustrating, since he tends to throw out anything you may have learned on the subject. To read Bob as a messiah, or a leader, or a teacher... will result in him coming from the grave to make fun of you,

However, to read Bob as a Discordian, practicing his Discordian rites, rituals and mindfucks (from which we can learn something by observation), then you may see him as a grand sage of absurdity.

And that, I think is a damned fine thing.

(Folks who don't like Bob, usually don't see him from more than one point in a model... not always, but I find it appears common).
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

"Bob" turned me into a troll.
Synaptyclypse Generator Publishing Sect, POEE International Resource Center

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on June 18, 2007, 02:36:00 PM
Well, I don't have my hands on a hardcover yet.  I know it doesn't have the "extra" material in the SJ version that was submitted by SJGames fans.  Beyond that you'd have to ask Syn.  If you go to www.poee.co.uk you can get the details there. 
I never felt that the SJ Games stuff sat well with the rest of the PD, so I didn't include it. Also, if I had there would have been some major stinkitude. The Hardback is unique in other ways. BUY IT! http://www.principiadiscordia.co.uk
Synaptyclypse Generator Publishing Sect, POEE International Resource Center