News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

Fundamental Theosophies of Principia Discordia (and Eris)

Started by LMNO, May 12, 2006, 11:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

This is for Wolfie, Kai, and any other Noobs.  

O anonymous Modz, could you sticky it?

So, welcome into the bosom of that crazy bitch Eris.  The house is a bit of a mess, we're planning a party.  Well, it's sort of a jail break.  It's a long story.

Anyway, this would be a good a time as ever to discuss the groundwork behind the ancient, decades-old religion of Erisianism.  Some of the crankier old people around here won't touch the stuff, but others (like myself) get off on it.

To business!  Let us discuss the following:

1.  There is no goddess but Eris, and she is your goddess.
2.  Eris is chaos; chaos is Universe.
3.  What we consider Order, or Negative Entropy, is fleeting at best, and at worst, a purely human/social construct, one which Eris laughs at us as we encounter things that simply make no sense.
4.  Order and Chaos always balance... The imposition of order = the escalation of disorder, and vice versa.
5.  There is order; there is disorder.  There is creation; there is destruction.  The old chart had this laid out in a 4-box grid, to show that the both the creative and the destructive contain order and disorder, and that embracing the creative seems to be a better option.  This has been expanded into the New Chart:

And should be contemplated deeply before venturing into any activity.

6.  Greyface is the imposer of sin and guilt; he is the one who taught us that chaos is negative, that only Pure Order is righteous.  he is severely out of whack, and as Discordians, we do what we can to correct his errors.
7.  We are all free.  The lies we tell ourselves to make it through the day are naught to Eris, she has given us the power to cast off our self-imposed shackles, to say "no" to the Grey, and to put mayo into the machine.

This is as good a starting point as any.  Let those who are willing to talk shop about Eris post here; if you don't believe, then don't post.

LMNO
-Extending a hand.

Scribbly

That is a very nice, shiny new chart.

And thanks for the thread LMNO, when I can think straight I'll post something more constructive in it!  :D
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Cain

Should I throw out the quotes about the old Eris/Enyo here?  Or shall we have a new thread?

Cain,
could quite easily create a Neo-Pagan version of Erisianism if he cared to.

deet

Imposition of Order, results in escalation of Disorder.

Negative entropy results in imposition of order, results in escalation of disorder which in turn creates entropy.

The more you learn, the more ordered your life becomes. Which in turn, causes you to go further from your intellectual/psychological comfort zone, creating more disorder in your life.

Which in turn creates the desire for more stability, which requires more knowledge, and then we go from there.
All walls have two sides.

Cain

My personal thoughts on chaos.

Chaos is a fundamental state of nature.  Humans invent philosophies and systems to try and create order (to influence or control) out of it.  Problem: human perception is faulty.  The system of order builds up "friction" as it interacts with the reality that is chaos.  Disorder is the friction.  Opposing systems also cause much more friction.  However, the end result is the breakdown of any system that is not organically created as part of the chaotic whole.  This can be seen in all normative philosophies in particular, such as Communism, Islam or any ideology/religion that proscribes certain behaviour.

In short.

(Thank you Clausewitz)

LMNO

Quote from: deetImposition of Order, results in escalation of Disorder.

Negative entropy results in imposition of order, results in escalation of disorder which in turn creates entropy.

The more you learn, the more ordered your life becomes. Which in turn, causes you to go further from your intellectual/psychological comfort zone, creating more disorder in your life.

Which in turn creates the desire for more stability, which requires more knowledge, and then we go from there.

Indeed.  In fact, one could say that the very act of creation relys on mxing the ordered with the disordered.

Example: To write a poem, one must first use the Rules of Language; then, break those rules and add uncertainty to the form.

Cain, I think rather than raw history (rather than R.A.W. history), this thread should be for the 20th century Erisian thoughts/concepts.

But I don't want to be facistic or anything.  Post what you feel is appropriate.

Wolfpoet

LMNO, this is perhaps the single greatest post, from my perpscetive, i have read here. my thanks..... now to business.

...........................................................................................................

I awoke this morning to witness a strange figure at my bed. But then in a flash of light i did recognise her. The Archangel Eris in a Nun outfit, and she did speak to me....

"Behold for I am.... wearing a Nun outfit? What the fuck?."

In a trembling voice I did respond.

"Well I'm a Catholic, I either manifest you in a Nun outfit or the convent school look and well I've fucked convent girls, never fucked a Nun."

And the Archangel Eris did smile knowingly.

"Your not fucking this one either, now listen up laddie."

I shall write the revelations of eris in laymen's terms for the un-rightous to understand.

Ok i came to discordianism from a catholic background. A repressive, hide-bound and order obsessed culture. However the added benefit of doing what you want and saying sorry afterwards did help allot with the old teen-guilt-angst in my younger days.

Now I'm searching for a different way, a way of balance. I have always understood life has to be 50/50 but never found a way for that to be achieved in hidebound religion

I want a certain amount of order in my life, anarchy is just plain boring but i want freedom.

Now how can Discordianism help me acheive this?

That is pretty much my operating statement.

What i have learned so far:

1) The Archangel Eris doesn't give a damn about any of this shit.

2) If she did give a damn we'd be looking for somebody else anyway.

3) That is precisely the point.

4) It's when we stop caring about all the little things that rule and regiment our lives we begin to understand free will. Anybody can claim to have free will but be shackled by all the little things they don't realise have them in chains.

Ok am i right so far or am i so far off the track i need to be dragged back kicking and screaming?
It's not so much that we fear the Wolf that howls outside, we fear the Wolf that howls within our soul.

Paladin, Iman, Rabbi and Fa Shih of the Erisian revival.

There are 3 sides to any conflict, winners, losers and arms dealers. Eris does a damn good deal at competitive prices.

LMNO

Quote from: WolfpoetLMNO, this is perhaps the single greatest post, from my perpscetive, i have read here. my thanks..... now to business.

...........................................................................................................

I awoke this morning to witness a strange figure at my bed. But then in a flash of light i did recognise her. The Archangel Eris in a Nun outfit, and she did speak to me....

"Behold for I am.... wearing a Nun outfit? What the fuck?."

In a trembling voice I did respond.

"Well I'm a Catholic, I either manifest you in a Nun outfit or the convent school look and well I've fucked convent girls, never fucked a Nun."

And the Archangel Eris did smile knowingly.

"Your not fucking this one either, now listen up laddie."

I shall write the revelations of eris in laymen's terms for the un-rightous to understand.

Ok i came to discordianism from a catholic background. A repressive, hide-bound and order obsessed culture. However the added benefit of doing what you want and saying sorry afterwards did help allot with the old teen-guilt-angst in my younger days.

Now I'm searching for a different way, a way of balance. I have always understood life has to be 50/50 but never found a way for that to be achieved in hidebound religion

I want a certain amount of order in my life, anarchy is just plain boring but i want freedom.

Now how can Discordianism help me acheive this?

That is pretty much my operating statement.

What i have learned so far:

1) The Archangel Eris doesn't give a damn about any of this shit.

2) If she did give a damn we'd be looking for somebody else anyway.

3) That is precisely the point.

4) It's when we stop caring about all the little things that rule and regiment our lives we begin to understand free will. Anybody can claim to have free will but be shackled by all the little things they don't realise have them in chains.

Ok am i right so far or am i so far off the track i need to be dragged back kicking and screaming?

Nope.  Please to Cf: http://principiadiscordia.com/book/45.php , the sermon on Ethics and Love.

To sum up:

"Eris!  My life is shit!"

"Isn't that what you wanted?"

"NO!"

"Oh.  Well, then change it."

You've got the sheet music, let's see if we can get a tune outta that motherfucker.

Wolfpoet

Ok so we are talking about actualy exercising free will rather than preaching it.

Taking responsibility for our own actions.

If life is shit get off your fucking arse and change it?

That sort of jazz?
It's not so much that we fear the Wolf that howls outside, we fear the Wolf that howls within our soul.

There are 3 sides to any conflict, winners, losers and arms dealers. Eris does a damn good deal at competitive prices.

Wolfpoet

Starting with the basics so i know I'm on the same song sheet. before I tackle the complicated and confusing shit.

LMNO

The short version, yes.

Although, it's much easier to say than to do.

After all, the chains we have bound ourselves with have been with us since birth (practically).  Not to mention, after we (hopefully) get rid of most of our psychological, emotional, and social chains, we still have to contend with the fact that our very instruments of perception are flawed and give us incomplete, and erroneous signals.  These are the most insidious chains, for we must constantly doubt what we are sensing, to a degree.

Although, this could descend into solipsism, and bring about the Barstool Experiment.

Which brings us to Maybe Logic. There's a whole thread or two started by LHX in Or Kill Me dealing with this. I suggest you go look for it.

Oh, and by the way, if you thing this is the best thread ever posted, you can subscribe to all my Lectures on Eris, starting at the low low price of $59.95* per lecture.  Subscribe today!

*Prices may be subject to change, depending on your gullibility.

Wolfpoet

So Discordianism is at it;s heart challenging our very perceptions. Since they are flawed, we look through beer glasses pretty much.

The idea is to remove the beer glasses and look at life clearly not througha  perception clouded by our programming.

Cain

Quote from: WolfpoetSo Discordianism is at it;s heart challenging our very perceptions. Since they are flawed, we look through beer glasses pretty much.

The idea is to remove the beer glasses and look at life clearly not througha  perception clouded by our programming.

Thats pretty much how I see it.  Not telling people how to act, just seeing how the world is and working from there.

LHX

maybe some people seem bitter and jaded because the element that is trying to impose order on us is a little more tenacious and crafty than we would like it to be

and although we can conceptualize how to handle it on paper

having that manifest on this planet is a different story

i can only speak for myself personally
but
this is taking every ounce of effort and discipline that i can muster up to show and prove that imposing order and submitting to order is not the right thing to do

i try to keep my shit light-hearted
but
i dont keep making posts about jail and death just for kicks

the reason we come down hard on a lot of people
is because we know how easy it is to get stuck

while people are sitting around saying hail eris
there is somebody hard at work on an advertising campaign to get you to buy the Next Big Thing,Ñ¢
and keep you in line

the elements that we face dont take time off

they dont even sleep at night

this whole shit might be the biggest joke of all
but
its dead serious right now
neat hell

LMNO

Quote from: WolfpoetSo Discordianism is at it;s heart challenging our very perceptions. Since they are flawed, we look through beer glasses pretty much.

Yes and no.

Yes, Erisianism (I make a distiction, others don't) challenges the perceptions that have trapped you in the Black Iron Prison of your Reality Tunnel/Grid/Map.

No, in that the idea is to realize you can never take off the beer goggles.  Your very biology makes that impossible.

And knowing that sets you off into the Agnosticism of the physicists, into the void of Reletavism.  After all, if you can't be 100% sure of every single Dammned thing you're sensing, how can you be 100% sure of anything?

99% sure, fine.  But 100%? Never.