News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

Ancient Greeks and Eris

Started by Cain, May 13, 2006, 01:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweety

"Eris" who-tf is Eris? (thanks for the info) ;)
(I'm a tiny girl.)²

maphdet

Interesting Cain.
My whole life I have been tought that Eris was teh First, pure Chaos.
Then There was Earth, and then Tarturas, and then Eros, then the children, Erebos & Nyx.

Makes me wonder of it all.
*will now do more searches, as I am only going by what I have been taught*
It is hard for me to view Eris, as a child of Nyx. I have seen it the other way all my life.

Thank You for this info.
I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

Prickly

Quote from: maphdetInteresting Cain.
Then There was Earth, and then Tarturas, and then Eros, then the children, Erebos & Nyx.

It is hard for me to view Eris, as a child of Nyx. I have seen it the other way all my life.

Thank You for this info.

Well, don't let some silly post on a silly bulletin board change your mind just because some silly facts were posted.
Pope Prickly the Pielyamorous Porcupine of the Bent Quarter Cabal and, more recently, the Sunrise If You Dare Cabal

Before the beginning, there was a 50/50 chance of either something or nothing existing. So, something and nothing decided to flip a coin to decide which of them would exist. However, in order for there to be a coin to flip, something had to have already won the toss. Therefore, you only exist because something is a cheating bastard.

maphdet

Quote from: PricklyWell, don't let some silly post on a silly bulletin board change your mind just because some silly facts were posted.

I'll be sure to mind my change. If any.
:)
I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: maphdetInteresting Cain.

Whomever taught you was incorrect.

Just saying.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

maphdet

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger

Just saying.

*doesn't remember who tought me*

How much, is actually Written about Eris/Erebos/Ether/Hemera/thewholehappyfam oh
and Chaos ofcourse, from a mythological perspective? And from Who?

Not that I take it to heart, but would make good reading and Myths are interesting to me.
I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: maphdet

Just saying.

*doesn't remember who tought me*

How much, is actually Written about Eris/Erebos/Ether/Hemera/thewholehappyfam oh
and Chaos ofcourse, from a mythological perspective? And from Who?

Not that I take it to heart, but would make good reading and Myths are interesting to me.

A whole crapload, from Homer on down.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

maphdet

A whole crapload, from Homer on down.

Does that list include Hesiod?
I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

Cain

Best main sources are Homer, Hesiod and Quintus Smyrnaeus, who wrote another account of the Trojan War in the Classical Greek era (4th century BC).  Beyond that, most mentions are minor, such as in the Dionysica or some versions of Jason and the Agonauts.

MAD

I am mighty impressed by your knowledge of mythology!  And I assumed I knew quite a bit...I'm finishing a book that involves mythology.  Namely Eris and Aphrodite among others, so I really scoured the books on them.  Or so I thought.  Great....now I feel inadequate again.
But, seriously, that had to have taken a lot of time...I bet your sight is about to go along with your fingers!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
-Lewis Carroll

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity...and I'm not sure about the universe.
- Albert Einstein

All great truths begin as blasphemies.
- George Bernard Shaw

Iron Sulfide

Quote from: CainOne more tidbit before my fingers drop off

Temple/Cult of Enyo, known as the Phyrgian Goddess Ma.

Also, Phyrgian is a Classical Greek mode (musical scale), noted by Pythagoras as being "Fiery"
and "Unpredictable"... perhaps there was a predisposition?
Ya' stupid Yank.

Cain

An interesting lingual connection that didn't occur to me.  Of course, that is actally named after the Kingdom of Phyrgia in Asia Minor, where it was developed.  But since music was an integral part of Greek religion, it is well worth noting.  Thanks.

East Coast Hustle

I really like playing in Phyrgian.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Messier Undertree

Quote from: maphdet on May 31, 2006, 07:00:50 AM
Interesting Cain.

Thank You for this info.

According to Theogonia , Chaos was the nothingness out of which the first objects of existence appeared. These first beings were Gaia, Tartarus, Nyx, and Erebus. The distinction beetween original Chaos and Eris confused me at first as well. Can Chaos be thought of as a god?

Cain

In earlier Greek myths, Chaos was seen as a god.  In later ones, chaos was seen more as the formless matter from which the cosmos, or harmonious order, was created.

Of course, the Greeks never said Eris was the goddess of Chaos, that was an invention of those tards Thornley and Hill.  Eris means strife, which is different.