News:

Your political affiliations, your brand loyalties, and your opinions are all quicker, easier, and contain no user-serviceable parts.

Main Menu

Howard Beale/The Original Rant‚Ñ¢.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, May 31, 2006, 03:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

This, obviously, isn't mine.  It's from The Network, a movie which every one of you should watch (and, incidentally, is back in print after 30 years.  I strongly advise you to get a copy).  Edited for contemporary terms.

I don,Äôt have to tell you things are bad, everybody knows things are bad. It,Äôs a depression.

Everybody,Äôs out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickels worth. Banks are going bust. Shopkeepers keep guns under the counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there,Äôs nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there,Äôs no end to it.

We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat. We sit watching out TVs while some newscaster tell us that today we had 15 homicides and 63 violent crimes as if that,Äôs the way it,Äôs supposed to be! We know thing are bad. Worse than bad, they,Äôre crazy. It,Äôs like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don,Äôt go out anymore. We sit in the house. Slowly the world we,Äôre living in is getting smaller and all we say is, "Please. At least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my cellphone , my TV, my iPod and I won,Äôt say anything. Just leave us alone."

Well I,Äôm not going to leave you alone. I want you to get mad!

I don,Äôt want you to protest or riot. I don,Äôt want you to write to your congressman because I don,Äôt know what to tell you to write. I don,Äôt,Äô know what to do about the depression, the inflation and the Arabs and the crime in the streets. All I know is that first, you,Äôve got to get mad! You,Äôve got to say "I,Äôm a human being, goddamn it! My life has value!"

So, I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up now and go to the window, open it and stick your head out and yell "I'M MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Idem

Oh, I loved tha movie!  Very suspenseful, interesting, and informative.
The irony is that it's worse today than that movie predicted.

Wait, I saw a mention of an Ipod int there.  When were Ipods brought into market?
I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: IdemOh, I loved tha movie!  Very suspenseful, interesting, and informative.

Wait, I saw a mention of an Ipod int there.  When were Ipods brought into market?

1.  Yep.  My most pessimistic sermons also turned out to be idiotically optimistic.

2.  Like I said, edited for contemporary terms.  How many of you juvenile delinquents even know what an 8-track was?  :lol:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Idem

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger
Quote from: IdemOh, I loved tha movie!  Very suspenseful, interesting, and informative.

1.  Yep.  My most pessimistic sermons also turned out to be idiotically optimistic.

2.  Like I said, edited for contemporary terms.  How many of you juvenile delinquents even know what an 8-track was?  :lol:
Oh, didn't see that part.
8-track.... banned for being a lethal weapon right? :lol:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Idem

Oh, didn't see that part.
8-track.... banned for being a lethal weapon right? :lol:

Except on the space shuttle, and in operating rooms.

:lol:

maphdet

I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

Baron Von Stevenstein

Im gonna look for that movie. sounds like a good one.

If there was more time left in the school year i would suggest that we watch it in movie club. last meeting were gonna watch kiss meets the phantom of the park

I have a record player that has an 8-Track thing on it. dont have any though.

and the nonedited version sounds better.
just saying
Floppy-ear'd Order of the Cthulhu
(\ /)
(0.o)
(>D)>=I====>

Shibboleet The Annihilator

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: revidcbest version of Dark Side Of The Moon is on 8-track. You makin me feel old TGRR.

HAH!  When *I* was a kid, all you could get on 8-track was Billy, Don't Be a Hero and Convoy.

putz

Quote from: revidcbest version of Dark Side Of The Moon is on 8-track. You makin me feel old TGRR.

HAH!  When *I* was a kid, all you could get on 8-track was Billy, Don't Be a Hero and Convoy.

NOOOOOO!!! THE HORROR!!! THE HORROR!!!!!!!
\
[/b]
You really are children here I cant believe it???