Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 10
Literate Chaotic / Re: Aspiring to Bullshit
« Last post by TheAudience on June 08, 2021, 12:45:32 pm »
spontaneous spouting of poetry seems to be a common side effect of consuming discordianism. Nothing to be concerned about. If your iambic pentameter lasts longer than 4 hours, consider consulting a physician.  :lulz:

in all seriousness, abusive upbringings are probably more prevalent than anyone wants to admit, and the effects will probably require a lot of effort to untangle and understand. I hope that you are able to find places you find comfortable and safe enough to unravel the patterns of psychology and biology. I'll do what I can to make this a place where you can do that, but I can't promise much as this is a public place.
I love it! Very well done.

I also feel this internal struggle. Finding the balance between worthless turd and viral diarrhea epidemic is more art than science. This is makes it harder for those who deal in the logical, and especially those who've suppressed (Sometimes out of necessity) the emotional.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Here's to hoping I can keep practicing that art of balance.
It sounds like you might have some specific experiences in mind regarding self censorship?

I spent most of my early to late childhood suppressing emotions and expression, mostly to cope with the extremely unstable and emotionally and physically abusive environment I was in during my much younger years (My first conscious memories would read like a Birth of a Killer Novel.). As I got older, my interests centered around the Logical in computers, physics, and linguistics, and it became hard to find any point of reference outside of that which I could Reason.

But emotions aren't Reasonable.
And the more they're felt, they become less Predictable.

I saw them as a Filter that altered Reality,
and therefore contributing to falsities and folly.

And while that may be true in many cases, they are still necessary to (truly) understand the Influence your decisions have on people, as well as to develop a meaningful Objective by which to live your Life and avoid the comfort of Nihilism.

You see the suppressed in their Suits and Ties
Responsibility and Life drained from their Eyes

They know nothin' 'bout what they're Missin'
They learned early that Profit's an easy Mission

Accept the Chaos and Wander of Life
Salvation's visible from every strife

OH SHIT FUCK FUCK SHIT SHIT FUCK I write ONE Poem and now they're flowing through like punctuation. FUCK FUCK FUCK
Or Kill Me / Re: Ruminating on Gurus
« Last post by Cramulus on June 07, 2021, 08:36:36 pm »
I like what you said about seeking oblivion vs seeking life.

Gurdjieff was one of those I had in mind for the third type of guru. Not na´ve and still striving to help those who strive to live. From reading your experiences it seems like you have found a group that isn't overridden by the seekers of oblivion. Congrats on that. I'm still trying to decide if I should continue attending the cabal meetings, and the above post was my attempt at sorting through some of that. The fact that much of the discussion revolves around the works of Gurdjieff raises difficult concerns for me because of my bias and past experiences, because I see him as having the role of a guru. For now I'm leaning towards sticking around because at the very least it gives my mind something to chew on during the quiet hours at work.

Do what's needed!
Gurdjieff is not for everybody. If it's not your thing, don't sweat it. For real.

Our cabal is exploring his thought together, but we are not a "4th Way" group. We're a "5th Way" group.  :fnord: That's our own thing.

Our way, which we're creating as we go,
is about breaking into the temple and trying on its regalia.

We owe nothing to Gurdjieff himself. The old mage has been dead for 70 years.
We're like vikings cruising down the fjord looking for a temple to raid. But we don't want the gold.

all that being said, remember there are two different meetings, which alternate weeks. This coming Wednesday is actually the Potluck Cult.
We'll be talking about The Art of Memetics. We'll be joined by the illustrator and one of the authors.

"I am a crock of shit. In my view, Discordianism is this. It is seeking to fulfil that which novelty cannot. It is a bottomless striving. It is endless seeking. It is self deception where necessary, and where possible it is staring at the naked reality, no matter how unpleasant. It is ritual for the biological urge for ritual. It is gathering and dividing. It is hooking objective reality to subjective value, winding up the springs, and marching disorderly into the unknown. It is clear as mud, mystery that requires pickaxes, and likely always poop at the core."

what a crock of shit!!  :)
« Last post by TheAudience on June 07, 2021, 08:11:08 pm »

I also feel this internal struggle. Finding the balance between worthless turd and viral diarrhea epidemic is more art than science. This is makes it harder for those who deal in the logical, and especially those who've suppressed (Sometimes out of necessity) the emotional.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Here's to hoping I can keep practicing that art of balance.
It sounds like you might have some specific experiences in mind regarding self censorship?
« Last post by TheAudience on June 07, 2021, 07:56:39 pm »
This is a good post, a lot of good thought in there.

I'm with you in that I am immediately on guard when someone says they have all the answers, or that they have this great shortcut / life hack which will only cost you $19.99, etc etc. When I started reading about Gurdjieff, I was on high alert against being subsumed by cult dynamics.

But I also know that there are certain things out there -- often they are abstract spiritual topics, like meditation, or techniques that are best transimtted by example -- which I cannot necessarily figure out all by myself. Words you read in a book fall short. I need someone to lead me to the place. This requires trust. This trust can be abused. Intentional inner change is always risky (or else it is worthless).

To navigate this dangerous terrain, there are two pieces of armor I keep polished:

-Verification. A good teacher doesn't ask you to take anything on faith. You have to do your own work to verify what's given to you. (I think - most things you haven't verified yourself should be regarded as empty until proven otherwise) This raises a deep question though -- How can we verify the intangible? What does it mean to KNOW something? To have a real understanding of the cosmos and the self? (This mystery is the essence of gnosticism.)

-Discordianism. Eris has a powerful weapon in her arsenal: laughter. The Principia Discordia is not fucking around when it presents laughter as the highest tier of magical tools. Laughing at someone blunts their authority. Laughing at yourself can jailbreak you from your trajectory. With the flip of a mental switch, you can reevaluate what you're doing and go "ehhh most of this is probabably bullshit, lol". If we can see ourselves as a cosmic shmuck, then the banana peels that the cosmos lays for us are no longer dangerous, but part of this slapstick routine. Fundamentalism and orthodoxy crumble as soon as you stop taking them so seriously. And sometimes we need to take things seriously, we just also need to remain flexible, to not get trapped.

I'm glad you thought this pile was good. It felt a bit too long, I was wondering if I should've chunked it up into smaller works. What's done is done.

Gurdjieff was one of those I had in mind for the third type of guru. Not na´ve and still striving to help those who strive to live. From reading your experiences it seems like you have found a group that isn't overridden by the seekers of oblivion. Congrats on that. I'm still trying to decide if I should continue attending the cabal meetings, and the above post was my attempt at sorting through some of that. The fact that much of the discussion revolves around the works of Gurdjieff raises difficult concerns for me because of my bias and past experiences, because I see him as having the role of a guru. For now I'm leaning towards sticking around because at the very least it gives my mind something to chew on during the quiet hours at work.

As for verifying the intangible... I guess I could go stare at that topic for a bit. I've got an unpublished post about the ugly bits of epistemology and that damn near everyone constantly fnords out of their minds so that they can function. It's a turd that still needs several coats of lacquer to make it presentable, but next week is going to be unbearably slow so I might as well. The TL;DR is that you can't verify intangible stuff in any way that is conclusive, so you just give certain concepts a ride around the block and kick the tires and see if it is useful or not. If you're brave/stupid/thorough, you could also try driving it full speed into a wall and see where/how it breaks.

An excerpt from my unpublished notes cause it feels relevant. I dunno, hungover + boredom is probably not the best state of mind to be composing words in. Fuck it and I'm sorry.
"I am a crock of shit. In my view, Discordianism is this. It is seeking to fulfil that which novelty cannot. It is a bottomless striving. It is endless seeking. It is self deception where necessary, and where possible it is staring at the naked reality, no matter how unpleasant. It is ritual for the biological urge for ritual. It is gathering and dividing. It is hooking objective reality to subjective value, winding up the springs, and marching disorderly into the unknown. It is clear as mud, mystery that requires pickaxes, and likely always poop at the core."
« Last post by Cramulus on June 07, 2021, 06:35:21 pm »
The path between the two is narrow, but don't hesitate, or the current will take you back.

I thought maybe I could share a few quatrains from the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, as a digestif.

So when at last the Angel of the drink
of Darkness finds you by the river-brink,
   And, proferring his Cup, invites your Soul
Forth to your lips to quaff it--do not shrink.

And fear not lest Existence closing your
Account, should lose, or know the type no more;
    The Eternak Saki from that Bowl has pour'd
Millions of Bubbles like us, and will pour.

When You and I behind the Veil are past,
Oh, but the long long while the World shall last,
    Which of our coming and departure heeds
As much as Ocean of a pebble-cast

One Moment in Annihilation's Waste,
One Moment, the Well of Life to taste---
    The Stars are setting, and the Caravan
Draws to the Dawn of Nothing--Oh, make haste!

But if in vain, down on the stubborn floor
Of Earth, and up to Heaven's unopening Door,
    You gaze To-Day, while You are You--how then
To-morrow, You when shall be You no more?

Oh, threats of Hell and Hopes of Paradise!
One thing at least is certain--This Life flies;
    One thing is certain and the rest is Lies;
The Flower that once is blown for ever dies.

Strange, is it not? that of the myriads who
Before us pass'd the door of Darkness through,
    Not one returns to tell us of the Road,
Which to discover we must travel too.
« Last post by Lord Batwing Candlewaxxe on June 07, 2021, 06:25:19 pm »
And sometimes we need to take things seriously, we just also need to remain flexible, to not get trapped.

Laughter is the most serious quality that exists.
By the way, everything I write is KopyLeft. Distribute and edit as you like.

Elmer Season

"It's a 'dog-eat-dog' world out Here"
The Executive said, running his hands over the Veneer
Of his Father's Desk, that he held Dear

He uses it the same way his Father Did
A platform on which to amass Power before his Monopoly is Ended

It sits in the Tower of his Mansion
Filled with enough Security to stop an Invasion

"And WE take all the Risk"

He said, gesturing to his team of Investors
Who have Mansions of their own of equal Splendor
"WE are responsible for every Expenditure-"

"Except for the most important of them All"
The little Girl interrupted, with about as much Gall

"Your ability to move numbers from Account to Project"
"Is nil compared to the Lives you refuse to Protect"

"Your claim to Risk is only Theoretical"
The Girl said, casually brushing her hand against a shifting Mantle

"You act as though you are a Wolf - a Dog among the rest"
"But it's those who you employ who take all Shots aimed at your Chest"

"You don't know what it's like to Fight in the Pit"
"Because it was your Father, and all of his friends, who dedicated their fortunes to building It"

"It was made for you as a Tool"
"Whose sole purpose: Facilitating your Rule"

The Girl grasped the Mantle Tightly
"It's about time you've learned the true Cost of preaching competition so Lightly"

The Girl ripped the Mantle Away
Revealing the town's ravenous Hounds who've Hungered for many a Day

The Girl gave an awful Grin
The kind that constricts the Subject's Oxygen

"This is the Era of the Workers; the Builders; the True Creators of the Progress you've Stunted"
"The Season when the Hunters will become the Hunted"

The Executive was right in a kind of Way
With no Leash and Fence keeping the Dogs at Bay
Consumed and barren his Bones and Palace will forever Lay

Snippets With Less Context (Would like to add to this list using other suggestions - They inspire things like what I wrote above)

"It's a competitive, 'dog-eat-dog' world out here", he said, tightening the leash and re-adjusting his layers of bite-resistant padding.

"You have to know how to swim with the Sharks", he said, his voice muffled by his Diver's Mask, hands bracing his protective cage.

« Last post by rong on June 07, 2021, 04:37:16 pm »
those perceived as gurus are in a unique position in that it enables them to easily preserve their status as gurus.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 10