Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
For $49 I can buy an Alexa Dot and have it call up my congressman and  hurl abuse on him on command.

Already ordered it.

I just got a couple when the refurbs went on sale.

I think you can use this:  https://ifttt.com/connect/amazon_alexa/phone_call  and then some sort of random insult generator attached.

Thanks!

I can just link it to "Talk Like Warren Ellis".
For $49 I can buy an Alexa Dot and have it call up my congressman and  hurl abuse on him on command.

Already ordered it.

I just got a couple when the refurbs went on sale.

I think you can use this:  https://ifttt.com/connect/amazon_alexa/phone_call  and then some sort of random insult generator attached.

Already ordered it.
Its more like the gnome kings vault in return to oz, cavernous halls filled with butthurt, and when you trip over the butthurt it creates more butthurt.

Recursive butthurt...  :o
Recursive butthurt mitosis  :horrormirth:
Recursive butthurt mitotic power generation  :fnord:

Quote from:  newsfeed?
If we could figure out how to make butthurt turn a turbine, we'd never have to worry about powering our cities again.   

Last SNL made me think about this [turn off at 3:53 to avoid commercial bullshit]
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=z0NgUhEs1R4
Techmology and Scientism / Re: Weekly Science Headlines
« Last post by The Good Reverend Roger on Today at 12:32:54 am »
Science is kinda fluid around here.
Techmology and Scientism / Re: Weekly Science Headlines
« Last post by Brother Mythos on Today at 12:30:15 am »
However, while electric charges exist, magnetic charges have never been observed in nature.

WAIT... what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lodestone

Yes, "Magnetic Fields" certainly do exist in nature, and they are routinely created by the flow of electricity through a wire. 

But, think of this as "Magnetic Charges" versus "Magnetic Fields."

In electricity and magnetism, "Charges" and "Fields" are related phenomena. But, they are also different phenomena.

What in the fuck are you babbling about? Yes, a magnetic charge and a magnetic field are different, but you can't have a magnetic field without a magnetic charge, so you're still just amazingly wrong. Have you taken physics or chemistry?

For what it’s worth, I've taken seven (7) quarterly semesters of university level physics, four (4) of them with labs. (That includes one (1) semester, my fourth (4th), entirely dedicated to electricity and magnetism.)

And, I've taken three (3) quarterly semesters of university level chemistry, worth 4.5 credits per semester, all of them with labs worth an additional .5 credits per semester.

Following is a link to the list of SI Electromagnetism Units.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_electromagnetism_units

Let me know if you find a unit for “Magnetic Charge” on that list.

Hint: There’s a reason why you won’t find a unit for “Magnetic Charge” there, or anywhere else.

It occurs to me that your introduction of the “magnetic charge” is much too profound a revelation to be left to linger in the fetid darkness that is this forum. I believe you owe it to the scientific community to bring your revelation to their attention. After all, Gauss missed it when he formulated Gauss’s law for magnetism. Maxwell missed it when he put his four (4) equations of classical electromagnetism together. And, even Einstein missed it while studying Maxwell’s equations to formulate his theory of special relativity.

In fact, your introduction of the “magnetic charge” is so profound, I recommend you skip publishing on arXiv.org and send your manuscript directly to Nature. (Here’s the link to their FOR AUTHORS page: http://www.nature.com/nature/authors/index.html)

Now, it typically takes Nature a couple to a few months to get around to publishing a newly submitted manuscript, so you’re probably not going to make the short list for the Nobel Prize in Physics for 2017. But, on the bright side, those dark energy and dark matter guys aren’t likely to get anywhere soon. So, you’ll be a shoo-in for 2018. And, you probably won’t even have to share the prize money with anyone! After all, they gave a Nobel to Millikan for just measuring elementary “electrical charge,” and he didn’t even theorize or discover “electrical charge.”

Now, the bad news: under normal circumstances, the scientific community would further honor you, immortalize you in fact, by naming the unit of “magnetic charge” the Nigel. Unfortunately, the letter N is already being used to denote the SI unit of force, the Newton. And, the letter m is already being used to denote the SI unit of length, the meter. But, the letter U isn’t currently being used for anything, so I suggest that you could request the unit of “magnetic charge” to be denoted as the “Unicorn.” (Years ago I saw what was advertised to be a unicorn at the circus. But, to be honest, I think it was just a goat with something that kind of looked like a horn glued to its head.) Anyway, my thinking is that since “magnetic charge” is every bit as rare as unicorns, the name is appropriate.

You’re welcome.   
I know the JD are not a political party, though they are a little more organized and intentional than most of the Tea Party was in 2009/2010. I also know that there are serious corpocratic tendencies in the Democratic Party that are legitimate problems that need legitimate solutions. But the JD are an outgrowth of the "Never Hillary" Berniebots who sat out the last election or tossed their votes uselessly to a 3rd-party candidate knowing full well the result this would have. It isn't that there aren't enough resources or reasons to fight more than one fight at a time, it's that this fight is one whose outcome we have already seen and are already living with. It's also one more area that has been touched by the scourge of fanatical extremism, one more coalition threatened with extinction because it has become self-aware and self-loathing.

Democratic fractionalization isn't just a narrative, it's a reality that cost us an election that should have been easy. It illustrates that the Democratic Party's coalition is absolutely essential. It doesn't win elections without internal integrity and compromise. When it frays and falls apart, America still has a core of white nationalism big enough to pick up the pieces, of which I am sure you are more acutely aware than I am. Of course we have to keep having dialogue and even disagreement within the coalition, but we can't afford another election where we turn on each other and refuse to come together for the common good.

The kind of language employed by the Justice Democrats picks up where the sneering condescension left off in 2016 and will only get worse as we approach the midterms of 2018. I can't see that resulting in anything other than a whole ticket full of microcosmic reproductions of the Clinton/Sanders primary, splitting the Democrats' votes and in many cases allowing whatever passes for Republican after their next primary a clear shot at general elections. If the JD can manage to push the Democrats farther left, I'd be thrilled. But more likely, they'll just discourage moderates from bothering at all.

I think I partially agree with you, but for a completely different reason. If the Justice Democrats is indeed a coalition of Bernie Bros, it will become clear by the next election that the underlying issues behind the lack of cohesion of the Democratic platform are institutionalized misogyny and racism.

I don't think we are going to unite white progressives on matters of racial equity, because a good size chunk of white progressives are closet racists who already think that everything is fine and black people are just whining for special privileges and playing victims. I don't think we are going to unite white OR black Democrats on matters of sex equity like access to reproductive health care and equal pay, because most black Democrats are too conservative and both are still deeply, unconsciously entrenched in the kind of unconscious patriarchal ideology that leads to peer reviewers finding equally productive woman scientists 1/3 less qualified than their male counterparts.

I also think you profoundly underestimate the degree to which plain old-fashioned ingrained patriarchal misogyny, along with well-orchestrated gerrymandering, cost the Democrats the election last year. Even keeping in mind that Clinton won the popular election with a greater voter turnout than any male politician ever other than Obama, it is also statistically clear that a large number of white Democrats opted to vote for Trump, which should tell us more than just that the "emails" campaign worked. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38254946

I think you have a really great story, I just don't think it's a story that is supported by facts.
Between gerrymandering and democrat fecklessness, the GOP will strengthen their hold in 2018. 

You saw it here first.  There is no series of events in view that allows the situation to get better.

Disagree. This outlook is not sufficiently sadistic to mesh well with the character of this century. I think 2018 will show a slight tick back in Democrats' favor, maybe even the House or the Senate will flip. This will mean nothing functionally, of course. We will continue to slip slowly downward. Then, in 2020, all the other shoes will drop, Trump will be re-elected in an actual landslide somehow, and nobody will even bother pretending there's a republic anymore by about March of 2021.
Between gerrymandering and democrat fecklessness, the GOP will strengthen their hold in 2018. 

You saw it here first.  There is no series of events in view that allows the situation to get better.
Reasons Donna is an even better boss than Jim #1:  Pissing Jim off was funny, but when you get all weird at Donna, she just runs it back at you.  Example:

Me:  We really need a site truck.

Donna:  Why?

Me:  For town runs and because the wells are 4 miles away and it's not actually legal to drive the carts to them.

Donna:  Okay.  *turns to her computer, orders a pickup truck*

Glenn:  Was it that easy? 

Donna:  Yep.  Toolbox?

Me:  Yes.

Donna:  Anything else?

Me:  I'd like hydraulics to make the ass drop.

Glenn:  And a bumpin' stereo.

Donna:  Sorry, guys, there's no line item for "the caws that go boom."

Glenn and I:  "BEST BOSS EVER!"

Donna:  Get back to work.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10