News:

I hope she gets diverticulitis and all her poop kills her.

Main Menu

The "I'm Thinking of Making" Thread

Started by Jenne, October 25, 2008, 07:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: Jenne on October 28, 2008, 06:28:54 PM
Anybody have a good recipe for goulash?  I have some sausage and cabbage burning a hole in my fridge...

If the leaves are broad and firm, remove the sausage from the casing, mix with onion garlic and more spices, roll into balls, wrap cabbage around them, place into a kettle with 1/2" of chicken stock, and simmer covered for 15-20 minutes.

Jenne

Quote from: Rabbi LMNO on October 28, 2008, 07:23:56 PM
Quote from: Jenne on October 28, 2008, 06:28:54 PM
Anybody have a good recipe for goulash?  I have some sausage and cabbage burning a hole in my fridge...

If the leaves are broad and firm, remove the sausage from the casing, mix with onion garlic and more spices, roll into balls, wrap cabbage around them, place into a kettle with 1/2" of chicken stock, and simmer covered for 15-20 minutes.

Ooh, yum!  Thanks, LMNO!  No other spices, though?

LMNO

To Taste.

I dunno what kind of sausage you got, nor what kind of spices you like.

Jenne

Quote from: Rabbi LMNO on October 28, 2008, 07:26:15 PM
To Taste.

I dunno what kind of sausage you got, nor what kind of spices you like.

It's Italianish...but not Italian--dammit, it's in the freezer so I don't remember.

As for spices, um, any?  We're a bit spice-mad in this house--anything goes.  Quite literally.

LMNO

Paprika, maybe some cayenne.

The minced onion and garlic would be enough, though.

Jenne

Quote from: Rabbi LMNO on October 28, 2008, 07:29:31 PM
Paprika, maybe some cayenne.

The minced onion and garlic would be enough, though.

Okeydokey.

ETA:  sounds like making dolma (stuffed grape leaves)--very similar except you simmer the stuff in lemon juice.

LMNO

You can also thicken up the stock afterward and use it as a sauce, if you want.

Jenne

Quote from: Rabbi LMNO on October 28, 2008, 07:34:14 PM
You can also thicken up the stock afterward and use it as a sauce, if you want.

Sounds bueno.  No brining, though, which is interesting--I'd have thought you'd have put something like that in there...some mention of vinegar, etc.

LMNO

Not that I know.

I'm sure you could squeeze some lemon on there, or some sherry vinegar, or something.

Play around with it, let me know what happens.

Jenne

Quote from: Rabbi LMNO on October 28, 2008, 07:39:44 PM
Not that I know.

I'm sure you could squeeze some lemon on there, or some sherry vinegar, or something.

Play around with it, let me know what happens.

Ooh, sherry vinegar.  Love the sound of that.  I actually have some interesting vinegar I bought at an olive oil store in Temecula I've been wanting to use in something other than dipping bread in, so I'll give that a go.

LMNO

incidentally, the shrimp dish is off tonight. Dinner at our favorite Cambridge pub.

East Coast Hustle

maybe you'll get to do the "shrimp dish" when you get home.

:lmnuendo:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Jenne

Ok, I thought of making the uber-garlic chicken that they serve at Versailles in LA, ended up just making the yummiest chicken I ever have.

7 garlic cloves--whole
4 chicken breasts
2 whole onions, slices
salt, pepper

Sautee the chicken in your roaster with some salt and pepper.  When they are slightly browned and caused some yummy crusties underneath, add some water to simmer, and add the garlic and onions.  I put the onions on top.

I put the covered roaster in the oven for about an hour on 450, then another hour with the lid off at 400.  The onions were carmelized to all hell, and the garlic was mushy and smelled SO good.  It really was probably the best chicken I've ever made.  And I really didn't even make it "right."

The Dark Monk

I love you.
Garlic + Onion = best combination ebar.
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~

Jenne

Thanks, but I truly can't take the credit...the combination was probably well known amongs Neandertals and could have brought them closer to modern day homo sapien evolution...