News:

PD.com: We have 73 Virgins!

Main Menu

Let the experts handle it.

Started by Requia ☣, March 23, 2008, 05:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bu🤠ns

Golden Applesauce

I can't even remember what commercial I've seen that guy in, only that I hate him.

Anyway, specialization simply makes sense from an economic point of view.  Not the "can't be bothered to learn MS Word" people but the adding RAM people.  Consider that there are about 300 000 000 people in the US.  If it takes 6 hours each to learn something useful (like adding RAM) then that is 1 800 000 000 man hours.  At $15 an hour we're looking at 2.7 trillion dollars worth of labour for everyone to learn how to upgrade their computers.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Requia ☣

it won't take anywhere near an hour, I teach people to do stuff like that all the time (5 minutes to an hour, depending on the person), even at 15 an hour, it costs (through the company I work for) 150 dollars to have somebody else do the upgrade for you.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Bu🤠ns

and think of the jobs created for out of work techies.  :wink:

Jenne

Quote from: Requiem on March 24, 2008, 05:15:10 AM
Depends, some of em (doctors and lawyers) spent a lot of time in school, then went and fucked up in the real world and learned the hard way.

Computer people (at least me and the ones I work with), usually learn the hard way, then go to school afterwards.

169% troof.

Except when it comes to my husband and I, that is.  But I have a family full of IT guys, and this is totally true.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Even though there are a lot of areas where I happily pay others to take care of things for me, I have a neuroses about being dependent so I know how to do most of the things I *need* in life on my own, within reason.

Except for make my own electricity, I don't know how to do that, and also I don't have the faintest idea how to harvest/mine natural gas so if that crapped out on me I'd have to switch to wood heat.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Requia ☣

making electricity:

get a magnet

get a big coil of wire

spin the magnet around the inside of the wire

(more complicated if you want to nail 110 V at 60 Hz on the head, but I've made my own generators for lights as experiments)

Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

We plan to buy some acreage at some point in the near future, at which point I might learn to build a small hydroelectric generator.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."