News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "In other words, Discordianism, like postmodernism, means never having to say your sorry."

Main Menu

Scenes From Coney Island, part III of V

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, November 02, 2011, 03:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Note – Doktor Howl is unable to finish this series, because he had a tragic accident involving 2 gallons of glycerin and a deep freeze.  That being the case, I have been saddled with cleaning up his mess.  Again.  That miserable, lazy bastard.  I hate him with the fire of ten thousand suns.
- TGRR

The very worst thing about Coney Island is that it – like Tucson – reflects all of America, because it is a funhouse mirror reflecting all of our foibles and petty bullshit back in a way that we can't ignore.  Who went to go see elephants pushed down slides?  We did.  Who went to watch lions get tormented in public?  Oh, yeah, America did.  You get my drift.

Funhouse mirrors are interesting, because they sometimes show you more Truth than you're really interested in seeing.  The first mirror shows you as a fresh-faced 8 year old, excited at the world.  The second shows you at 16, with a huge head and a skinny body.  The next one shows you in military gear, with a gaping look of horror on your face.  Then there's the one that makes you look old...A bit thicker around the middle, more grey hair than you're comfortable with, etc.  You KNOW you're still that 8 year old kid, but hoo boy, does that mirror make you look like a horse broken down in the harness.

And you can never forget what you see in those mirrors...You can never really leave the funhouse.  Everything around you looks distorted; it's all a caricature of itself.  The fat bastards that run the country really ARE fat, chinless & neck-less, jowls quivering with greed & glee.  The religious nuts really ARE all perverts, each of them in turn being caught with fat little boys in places like Costa Rica or Los Angeles.  Then they get on TV and sob about how they let everyone down, but they'll change, oh yes, they'll change.  And overbite yahoos nationwide make grunting noises and send them cheques. 

I ask you:  Does this look like a rational world to you?  Does this look like 10,000 years of progress?  Or maybe we're just all stuck in some horrible funhouse somewhere, lost in an endless maze of nightmares, while the real world - the sane world - moves along, occasionally wondering what happened to us?

Or maybe – and this is the part that gets me thinking – maybe  the whole country is stuck in that funhouse, and we're just seeing reflections from the entrance, and hearing sounds of horror whispering out of endless glass hallways.  Maybe the whole world's been stuck in there since Gavril Princip opened the funhouse door and ordered a few million dumpsters to haul off the mangled results, out back.

And maybe the world's talked itself into believing that the funhouse is the only Right & Proper place to be, because they're rather taken with the distorted and menacing appearance of Jesus and Mohammed and George Washington and Patrick Henry and all the other Gods they've chosen for themselves.

If that is the case, then the world needs a good, old-fashioned Coney Island fire.

Just sayin'.

Or Kill Me

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

We're near the end, Roger. You know it and I know it and that old bastard Doktor Howl knew it. I don't know what that means for humanity, maybe we're still evolving and there will be something good in the future for us yet.

I wouldn't bank on it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on November 02, 2011, 04:13:01 PM
We're near the end, Roger. You know it and I know it and that old bastard Doktor Howl knew it. I don't know what that means for humanity, maybe we're still evolving and there will be something good in the future for us yet.

I wouldn't bank on it.

I think you're being hopelessly optimistic.  History has shown what happens to all republics in the end, and...Well, let's just say the future isn't done with you, yet.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 02, 2011, 04:14:19 PM

I wouldn't bank on it.

I think you're being hopelessly optimistic.  History has shown what happens to all republics in the end, and...Well, let's just say the future isn't done with you, yet.

:x :x :x

That's it. I'm moving to Africa.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on November 02, 2011, 04:38:06 PM

I wouldn't bank on it.

Mind the child soldiers, then.  They're a caution.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Oh I firmly believe we've been stuck in here for decades.  On the occasion someone will escape. Curly did, so did Hank Sr.  I think you've probably gotten out quite a few times yourself Roger.  I have to ask, are they crazier out there than they are in here?  Or is it the paradise we've all dreamt it to be?

One can hope that cleansing with fire will clean out all the cobwebs and get us back on track, only problem is I think the fight will be what type of fire.  You've got your group on the right saying purge it with holy fire and you've got the group on the left saying burn it all to the ground.

Problem is, those of us stuck in the middle are the ones who will have to rebuild whichever side wins.  My desire is almost always a happy medium.  Thing is, there is no middle ground anymore.  Trying to get either side to see the reason of compromise is a lost cause today.  

Personally, I have no issues with rebuilding as long as I get to help burn it to the ground first.  If you're going to start fresh, you have to do it right yanno?

I really like this series!!!  

trippinprincezz13

While I rarely feel informed or insightful enough to comment on things here (excuses, I know), just want to chime in to say that I've been enjoying this series and am looking forward to the next two installments and everything tying together

Thank you  :)
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Khara on November 02, 2011, 04:40:03 PM
Oh I firmly believe we've been stuck in here for decades.  On the occasion someone will escape. Curly did, so did Hank Sr.  I think you've probably gotten out quite a few times yourself Roger.  I have to ask, are they crazier out there than they are in here?  Or is it the paradise we've all dreamt it to be?

One can hope that cleansing with fire will clean out all the cobwebs and get us back on track, only problem is I think the fight will be what type of fire.  You've got your group on the right saying purge it with holy fire and you've got the group on the left saying burn it all to the ground.

Problem is, those of us stuck in the middle are the ones who will have to rebuild whichever side wins.  My desire is almost always a happy medium.  Thing is, there is no middle ground anymore.  Trying to get either side to see the reason of compromise is a lost cause today.  

Personally, I have no issues with rebuilding as long as I get to help burn it to the ground first.  If you're going to start fresh, you have to do it right yanno?

I really like this series!!!  

There is no "back on track".  We are on the track.  This is the established behavior of monkeys at this point of civilization.  Greece, Rome, France, Argentina...This is perfectly normal.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on November 02, 2011, 04:40:41 PM
While I rarely feel informed or insightful enough to comment on things here (excuses, I know), just want to chime in to say that I've been enjoying this series and am looking forward to the next two installments and everything tying together

Thank you  :)

Thank you.  I am, as it happens, inordinately pleased with what I have planned for the finale.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 02, 2011, 04:39:45 PM

I wouldn't bank on it.

I figure if I go someplace where things can't possibly get much worse, I won't have to watch it go downhill.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on November 02, 2011, 04:48:21 PM

I wouldn't bank on it.

I figure if I go someplace where things can't possibly get much worse, I won't have to watch it go downhill.

Peruvian jungle.  Sure, they shrink peoples' heads, but we all have our little quirks.

You'd be their queen, Nigel, like something out of a Robert Howard novel.  And when brawny barbarians or bespectacled explorers find you, you can do that thing you do to Portland hippies and then later, hang their tiny dessicated heads from your Christmas tree.

Sure, it's awful, but at least they won't text you every ten minutes.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 02, 2011, 04:54:53 PM
Quote from: Nigel on November 02, 2011, 04:48:21 PM

I wouldn't bank on it.

Peruvian jungle.  Sure, they shrink peoples' heads, but we all have our little quirks.

You'd be their queen, Nigel, like something out of a Robert Howard novel.  And when brawny barbarians or bespectacled explorers find you, you can do that thing you do to Portland hippies and then later, hang their tiny dessicated heads from your Christmas tree.

Sure, it's awful, but at least they won't text you every ten minutes.

I like this plan.