News:

It's not laughter if you're just going through the muscle movements you remember from the times you actually gave a fuck.

Main Menu

And we're outta there!

Started by Suu, October 21, 2011, 08:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Placid Dingo

Quote from: The Reverend What's-His-Name? Experience on October 21, 2011, 09:10:05 PM
Didn't we just start some shennanigans in Uganda?  And there's some saber rattling pointed in Pakistan's direction. 

Democracy will not spread its fucking self!

Uganda's issues with the LRA began in the 1980s IIRC. So really nothing's being started, but there's some kind of American involvement entering into this existing conflict.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Cain

Quote from: Beardman Meow on October 22, 2011, 12:51:54 AM
Quote from: Cain on October 22, 2011, 12:14:41 AM
Obama doesn't have a choice, and is doing this under pressure.

Iraq signed a Status of Force Agreement in 2008 (IIRC).  That agreement gives Iraq the legal power to tell US troops to shove it.  The Iraqi government told American troops to shove it.  A bunch of people including, most recently, Leon Panetta, warned the Iraqi government of dire and dark and entirely mysterious consequences should they do it, because America wanted to keep troops there.  The Iraqis did not listen.

Besides, America still has an embassy there which is a virtual fortress, filled to the brim with Marines, CIA paramilitaries and Blackwater employees.

Sometimes instead of arguing with people on Facebook, I just quote Cain.
"Fuck yeah, Obama is the man, look at this."
*Cain's post*
"TL;DR"

Don't worry, people ignore me pointing out the ugly truth on my own Facebook as well.

It turns out that the State Department is going to keep a literal division's worth of mercenaries in Iraq, as well.  That's 12,000 private soldiers.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Jenne on October 21, 2011, 09:19:20 PM
Quote from: Laughin Jude on October 21, 2011, 09:07:07 PM
From CNN:

QuotePresident Obama announced Friday that the United States will withdraw nearly all troops from Iraq by the end of the year, effectively bringing the long and polarizing war in Iraq to an end.

Not good enough.

You know we're like the Hotel California of occupying forces, right?

Have we left Germany?
Have we left Japan?

There you go.

We left Vietnam.....
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Cain

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/09/us-vietnam-military-relat_n_675202.html

QuoteCold War enemies the United States and Vietnam demonstrated their blossoming military relations Sunday as a U.S. nuclear supercarrier cruised in waters off the Southeast Asian nation's coast – sending a message that China is not the region's only big player.

The visit comes 35 years after the Vietnam War as Washington and Hanoi are cozying up in a number of areas, from negotiating a controversial deal to share civilian nuclear fuel and technology to agreeing that China needs to work with its neighbors to resolve territorial claims in the South China Sea.

The USS George Washington's stop is officially billed as a commemoration of last month's 15th anniversary of normalized diplomatic relations between the former foes. But the timing also reflects Washington's heightened interest in maintaining security and stability in the Asia-Pacific amid tensions following the sinking of a South Korean warship in March, which killed 46 sailors. North Korea has been blamed for the attack, but has vehemently denied any involvement.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on October 31, 2011, 09:58:27 PM
From CNN:

QuotePresident Obama announced Friday that the United States will withdraw nearly all troops from Iraq by the end of the year, effectively bringing the long and polarizing war in Iraq to an end.

Not good enough.

Have we left Germany?
Have we left Japan?

There you go.

We left Vietnam.....

Totally. And we were never even in Cambodia or Laos.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Cain on October 23, 2011, 01:40:40 PM

It turns out that the State Department is going to keep a literal division's worth of mercenaries in Iraq, as well.  That's 12,000 private soldiers.

So, we'll have 12k mercs plus the forces in our "embassy"....
do we have an estimation of how many that is, all told?

Nephew Twiddleton

From CNN:

Not good enough.

Have we left Germany?
Have we left Japan?

There you go.

We left Vietnam.....

The US generally doesn't make a policy of setting up permanent military bases in countries where we lost the war. Something about losing the war or something.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on November 01, 2011, 07:12:37 PM
Explain Iraq, then? :lulz:

The US toppled the Hussein regime. That's a technical win.

The US lost the peace.  :lulz:
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

From CNN:

Not good enough.

Have we left Germany?
Have we left Japan?

There you go.

We left Vietnam.....

LOL other than the THIRTY FIVE military bases we left there.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

I also love how the original CNN report glosses over how US incompetence in appointing people like, Paul Bremner, with no background in nation reconstruction, advised by people with no expertise in the history of Iraq (which they wrongly characterized as a "Sunni dictatorship", thereby creating a disturbing sectarian polarisation which previously only existed in their minds) was what created the insurgency in the first place.

And even better, that these people were picked because they had no prior experience, because everyone who did had prior experience had told the Administration they were nuts, and the Bush White House took such things personally.

There probably still would've been violence, and Iraq would probably still be an Iranian client state in all but name, but there probably would have been a few thousand (or tens of thousands) of less bodies in the streets.