News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

LDD Sermon 3: Deep in the Land of Thud

Started by Cain, May 08, 2006, 09:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfpoet

Case of wires crossed there.

I'm saying we try to save everybody.

Now some of us would consider some folks beyond saving and to be ignored/discarded/dealt with.

Is it so bad that somebody around here thinks the above list could still be saved?

I'm sure as hell won't be opposing any waking up but I'm sure as hell not gonan abandon people just because others don't deem them worth saving.

I'll do my best to save them, it may be a lost cause but somebody has to.
It's not so much that we fear the Wolf that howls outside, we fear the Wolf that howls within our soul.

Paladin, Iman, Rabbi and Fa Shih of the Erisian revival.

There are 3 sides to any conflict, winners, losers and arms dealers. Eris does a damn good deal at competitive prices.

Scribbly

We need to rig us an election  :P

Of course... which party to put in would be a totally different matter, but... yeah...
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Cain

Fair enough, if you wish to save them, then proceed as you will.  I'm just saying don't be surprised if enemies start appearing out of the woodwork.

Wolfpoet

I know it's probably an impossible task, but somebody has to do it

The worst case scenario i was talking about is the old adage about looking into the abyss.

It's easy to become jaded, to decide who is or is not worth saving, to pick and choose.

I won't make that choice, I don't care if I can never wake everybody up. I'll damn well try anyhow and I'll try the hardest to wake up the kind of people others would discard as worthless cabbages. They are the ones who need us the most.
It's not so much that we fear the Wolf that howls outside, we fear the Wolf that howls within our soul.

There are 3 sides to any conflict, winners, losers and arms dealers. Eris does a damn good deal at competitive prices.

East Coast Hustle

I am amused at watching the self-described absolutist arguing on the side of relativism.

:lol:

I see where Wolfpoet is coming from, and I might agree if I didn't feel that we are working on a finite timeline.

but we are. while things may take a long time to reach fruition, I don't believe that that means we can take forever in getting around to beginning the process of implementation. I think we have a finite window of opportunity, where enough people can be shown how FUCKED their current situation is before their situation deteriorates to the point that they have no room for thinking about anything but survival.

after all, someone who has to spend all day scavenging for food is unlikely to either be able to effect a paradigm shift in the reality grids of others, or to be able to accept having a shift effected upon their own.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Wolfpoet

Absolutes are interesting things. Black and White are absolutes, but when you look at it so is Grey.

I appreciate the whole finite timeline thing.

But also remember Discordianism is not a finite thing. Different Discordians do different things and while a big bunch of ya work on one plan others can work around the edges.

Because my philosophy does not gell 100% with yours doesn't mean it's not valid or indeed not vital.

When you collapse all the shit these people you've left behind because you don't think their worth saving are gonna find their lives torn apart. Somebody has to look after them.

Otherwise your as uncaring and unthinking as the very principles we are striving to overturn.

Scribbly

Besides... its hardly as though we are going to go out of our way /not/ to open the eyes of a certain type of person. If the methods we eventually settle on do win over a few Greyfaces, all the bette,r but I wouldn't hold your breath.
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Wolfpoet

I like lost causes.

Grey faces are a challenge.

Cain

That situation is far away.  As things are now, we have a bunch of greys who dont even know what we are, for the most past, but hate everything we stand for.  The cabbages are helping by not hindering them.  If we can turn them, all well and good.  If not, I wont exactly shed a tear.

LMNO

Somtimes, a person's best use is as an example to others.

In other words, sometimes the best thing to do to a cabbage is turn it into kimchi.

LHX

maybe its a more personal thing

for me
the timeline seems more urgent than finite

it seems imminent

thats the thing i notice when i build with yall

that the same situation can be viewed with varying degrees of urgency

i guess it has something to do with how clear the outcome appears

i recognize how sensitive people are when information is revealed to them
and i recognize how powerful words are

thats why i keep bringing up responsibility

once you see an path that can be taken
and an outcome that will eventually come

it is impossible not to act as an agent that brings this outcome

in fact - if you try to avoid it - you will likely go thru an obvious state of self-punishment
neat hell