News:

There's a sucker born every minute... and you are right on time.

Main Menu

Hey folks/state of the union

Started by NWC, January 27, 2010, 10:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWC

So

I finally got internet back today! After months of no intertubes flowing to my place, they're back. So instead of checking the pics thread on school computers before going to class, I can finally participate here again.

Also today is the state of the union address, which I think starts in like 40 minutes(midnight, my time). So I've been preparing by drinking for the last couple hours and watching south park and daily show and other niceties I usually don't get here.

So, thoughts on.. shit? I dunno. I guess maybe someone has some ideas on what obama's going to say. It's hard to follow the news closely without internet, but I read a little every day. But I have no idea what's going on in America anymore, except for what I read from my friends on facebook.

So yeah, I'll be hanging out watching the state of the union with this handy drinking game posted by the huffington post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/26/state-of-the-union-drinki_n_436932.html

I have no hard alcohol, but lots of delicious belgian beer. woo!
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

NWC

shit it looks like I got my time zones mixed up, no way I'll be awake/coherent enough at 3 to watch a full hour long speech

oh well

The Good Reverend Roger

I'm not gonna bother with the speech.  I already know the state of the union.  :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

NWC

but yeah that was kindof the interest for me

I get what's going on in America from facebook and google news, I want a third sur-real perspective.

I can't see the picture with my own eyes right now, so I want more angles

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: NWC on January 27, 2010, 11:30:32 PM
but yeah that was kindof the interest for me

I get what's going on in America from facebook and google news, I want a third sur-real perspective.

I can't see the picture with my own eyes right now, so I want more angles

Well, if a steaming pile of bullshit is the angle you want, watch the speech and the response.

Because both will be a huge sackload of crap.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

NWC

well I already assume that that's what I'm getting from google news, and probably half of the people I talk to in the states. But Obama is so mesmerizing when he speaks. Mesmerizing bullshit is more interesting that regular bullshit

I saw him speak live 4 or 5 times back in 2004, and I have never been so eager to eat up big words.

plus, watching the state of the union makes me feel american, gives me somewhat of an identity. Everyone here speaks a little bit of english at least, and lots of them have a third language(besides english and french) as their first language. So I feel robbed of my cultural identity, because I have nothing(propre à moi-même - it's the best way I can think to say it) that is mine, culturally speaking. At least keeping up on what my president says gives me some sort of identity and differentiation here.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 27, 2010, 11:28:38 PM
I'm not gonna bother with the speech.  I already know the state of the union.  :lulz:
There's no need to watch the responses either. Both sides have had their talking points printed up for weeks now. It doesn't even matter what Obama says at this point.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on January 28, 2010, 12:24:14 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 27, 2010, 11:28:38 PM
There's no need to watch the responses either. Both sides have had their talking points printed up for weeks now. It doesn't even matter what Obama says at this point.

If I was Obama, I'd talk a whole bunch of smack.

It's not like he's getting reelected.  I mean, if I wanted a 3rd term of Bush, I'd have voted for McCain.

the last yatto

state of :kingmeh:
going to the pub to catch a game of english football even tho I already know the results
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit