News:

PD.com: We'll make you an offer you can't understand.

Main Menu

Critical infrastructure and hacking report

Started by Cain, January 30, 2010, 01:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on February 01, 2010, 02:22:51 PM
Foreign policy and the desires of the ruling class only factor in when the ruling class is in charge.

By definition, the ruling class is in charge.  Otherwise it'd be the "moderately important and relatively high SES class."
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: GA on February 02, 2010, 04:10:50 AM
Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on February 01, 2010, 02:22:51 PM
Foreign policy and the desires of the ruling class only factor in when the ruling class is in charge.

By definition, the ruling class is in charge.  Otherwise it'd be the "moderately important and relatively high SES class."

You have a point, there. I suppose I should say the ostensibly ruling class instead. There *are* situations wherein a class is not in charge.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Cain

Enki, please explain the ideological origins of the Punic Wars.

Enki, please explain how WWI wasn't a bunch of empires defending their territories against newer, expansionist powers, but the result of ideological dispute.

Enki, please explain how war in the middle ages in Europe, between almost identical Catholic, feudal warlords, resulted from ideology?

Cain,
thinks this should be good.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Cain on February 03, 2010, 09:16:52 AM
Enki, please explain the ideological origins of the Punic Wars.

Enki, please explain how WWI wasn't a bunch of empires defending their territories against newer, expansionist powers, but the result of ideological dispute.

Enki, please explain how war in the middle ages in Europe, between almost identical Catholic, feudal warlords, resulted from ideology?

Cain,
thinks this should be good.

I'm not saying that there are not non-ideological wars, nor am I saying that ideology has not been historically an excuse for the goals of the ruling classes. I am instead saying that it is more typical to have nationally unaligned fighters of the type that might prefer DDoSes and backdoors to guns and bombs. Computer warfare is far more in the guerilla vein than conventional warfare, and benefits even less from central organization and government sponsorship than the maltov cocktail throwing kind. Given that small scale non-government-sponsored warfare (and when I say warfare, I'm thinking something closer to setting police cars on fire in paris and taking down yahoo than shooting from the trenches) has become more feasable in the past ten or twenty years, I imagine that it might become more common (and perhaps a larger factor) than in the past.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.