News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

Intermittens joint issue thread.

Started by Dimocritus, May 26, 2010, 06:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimocritus

So me and Roaring Biscuit have agreed on doing a double issue. The kind where you flip it over, and upside down to read another issue. We have chosen to coordinate our art-work to a degree. We also have some cool ideas concerning secret messages upside down (which will be right side up when held... umm... upside down) and a cool amalgamation of direction when you get to the center.

Because he and I are, technically, doing two seperate (but somewhat similar) issues, I'd like to keep both of our threads pinned, and use this one to discuss and plan the joint aspects of this DOUBLE sized issue.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Cramulus

can you clarify the differences between the two issues? (ie theme)

Dimocritus

Quote from: Cramulus on May 26, 2010, 07:02:16 PM
can you clarify the differences between the two issues? (ie theme)

[/quote

RB is doing an issue for non-discordians (self explanitory). I am doing a non-issue for discordians (I haven't quite figured out what that means yet  :sad:)

Brotep

Quote from: dimo on May 27, 2010, 02:15:08 AM
RB is doing an issue for non-discordians (self explanitory). I am doing a non-issue for discordians (I haven't quite figured out what that means yet  :sad:)

:lol: a non-issue for discordians? hm...

what about an ad collage?

Dimocritus

Quote from: Brotep on May 27, 2010, 02:46:10 AM

Elaborate?

dimo-
sometimes really thick in the head

Brotep

Quote from: dimo on May 27, 2010, 08:13:07 PM
Quote from: Brotep on May 27, 2010, 02:46:10 AM

Elaborate?

dimo-
sometimes really thick in the head

I was thinking of my coffee table. My future coffee table.

You can take ads and combine and trim and superimpose them or change the words or take the words out of context in order to convey your message instead of the original messages of the ads. I have mostly done this for comedy--and comedy is best kept as an element in such a project--but you could do it to communicate something of substance as well.

If you're aiming at coherence (the chaos will come naturally), you could end up with something akin to a graphic novel.

I have done this physically a bunch of times with a big stack of magazines, scissors, and tape. It's a great way to spend an afternoon.
Someday I shall preserve the fruit of my labors in the form of a coffee table.

Cramulus

JOINT ISSUE?

ROLL THAT SHIT UP, BRO

Placid Dingo

EDIT: Removed and moved submissions.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Dimocritus

Hey, Dingo! I appreciate the enthusiasm, but.. Me and Roaring Biscuit each have our own threads up for submissions and stuff. I wanted to use this thread to only focus on the collabrative aspects of the issue, ie coordinating the artwork, putting in an up-sidedown secret code, maybe an amalgamated section in the middle where you don't even know which side is up anymore etc... I kinda wanted to get some people brainstorming on things like tha we could do with a double "flip" issue, seeing how (as far as I know) nothing like this has been attempted before in an Intermittens.

Placid Dingo

The best flip issues I've seen have been from Adbusters.

They've ususally has the cover and the first three pages or so represent direct oposites of eachother, then moved onto their seperate content. Then, usually the last couple of pages will kind of 'sum up' the theme (the war/peace issue ended with images of war and quotes about human destrutiveness, and peace on images of family/nature, comments on the potential for a future witohut conflcit. Game of life followed a persons last days on earth within a self-aware, family based cutlure on one side, and then the same inside a materialist, corporatist culture.)

I know there's a bit of hate going on for AB here, but they're the best example I've seen of this done well.

Practical issues; If you're doing an actual 'FLIP' you might need to provide two internet copies that can be physically flipped over.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Placid Dingo on May 29, 2010, 02:43:27 AM
Practical issues; If you're doing an actual 'FLIP' you might need to provide two internet copies that can be physically flipped over.

Nah, I haven't heard of a PDF viewer where you can't rotate the pages.

I don't think Scribd lets you do that, but you don't HAVE to post it on Scribd.

You could make a little teaser and then offer a PDF download if they want to read the rest.

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Cramulus