News:

And if you've misplaced your penis, never fear. This forum is full of dicks.

Main Menu

Looking fir salad recipes.

Started by Requia ☣, March 11, 2010, 11:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

First rule:  Don't use it unless it's fresh.

Second rule:  Don't use it unless it's fresh.

A good salad dressing:  Just mix lemon juice, a bit of salt, olive oil and pepper.   Or paprika, if you have it.

A great way to ruin a salad is to pour the dressing over the top.  Another good way is to not wash the leaves.

Instead, wash the leaves and put the salad into a container with the dressing, and shake it around.  Or hand toss.  Anything else is lame, in my year or so of experience doing salads for a living.

Salads are 60% presentation IMO.  If a salad looks shitty, I usually don't enjoy it.  Put some effort into making your salads pretty.  It helps.

Nast

It's also good practice to wash your leaves delicately, so as not to bruise them. And get a good salad spinner, and dry the greens thoroughly in small batches. Even a bit of moisture can make the dressing weak.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Jenne

As long as we're talking about "what makes a salad good/work," I've noticed balance is also key.  (Did I already say that ITT?  Having a sense of deja vu here...)  I've had many salads that were waaaay too overpowering with one element or another and it just did NOT taste good.

Also, just say no to BLAND.  Salads should not be BLAND.  EVAR.

BADGE OF HONOR

Lately I've been eating salads with just romaine, avocado, salt, and pepper.  I'm not really a big fan of dressing, it makes everything too goopy.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Shrimp Salad

I N G R E D I E N T S
• 1 lemon  • 1 lime  • 6 garlic cloves  • extra virgin olive oil  • 1/2 lb of shrimp  • your favorite lettuce or salad mix

I N S T R U C T I O N S
Mince 3 cloves and press 3 cloves of garlic. Squeeze the lemon and lime juice into a medium sized container, put the garlic in and let it stand for 20 minutes.

Add 3 parts olive oil to 1 part of the combined juice mixture. Shake it very vigorously. Dress salad and add shrimp. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or just dig in.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Another idea:

Quit hating on broccoli, motherfucker.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

BADGE OF HONOR

Brocolli is terrible as a salad garnish.  Raw, it's too hard and crunchy, cooked it's too soft.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Triple Zero

So you steam it instead, or boil it shortly. Though I would not always want the flavour in a salad.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

BADGE OF HONOR

My problem with broccoli as anything other than plain on the side is it absorbs way too much liquid, causing a very unpleasant mouth explosion when you bite one.  Thanks, I really wanted to eat three tablespoons of dressing right then.

(In case you couldn't tell I have issues with things being too goopy.  Though I love a good curry.  I think it has to do with variations of texture or something, because I can't stand having peanuts on my stir-fry either.)

My favorite salad is a classic, but its hardly healthy.

Salad Lyonnaise

A handful of fresh frisee lettuce, torn into bite sized pieces
2 strips bacon
1 teaspoon chopped shallots
1 Poached egg
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste

Thats the recipe I found online.
When I make it, I usually recycle a small portion of the bacon grease into the dressing instead of using olive oil.
Cut the bacon into fine bits. Mix the bacon grease/vinegar/dijon together.
Top with the egg.
Enjoy.

LMNO

Just made an interesting salad.

Core and thinly slice 1 granny smith apple.
Thinly slice 1/2 a bulb of fennel.  Reserve fronds.

In a bowl, combine:
2 Tb Crème fraiche
2 Tb whole-grain mustard
1 Tb lemon juice
Chopped tarragon
Salt & pepper
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 tsp olive oil

Toss the apple and fennel with the dressing.  Garnish with fronds.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: LMNO on March 22, 2010, 04:33:48 PM

In a bowl, combine:
2 Tb Crème fraiche
2 Tb whole-grain mustard
1 Tb lemon juice
Chopped tarragon
Salt & pepper
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 tsp olive oil

eeeeeeew this sounds goooooooooood

Jenne

Quote from: LMNO on March 22, 2010, 04:33:48 PM

In a bowl, combine:
2 Tb Crème fraiche
2 Tb whole-grain mustard
1 Tb lemon juice
Chopped tarragon
Salt & pepper
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 tsp olive oil

THIS would've been helpful when my husband insisted on buying a huge bulb of fennel and making it with SOMETHING on Sunday, preferably fish, I told him SALAD.  Oh well, the fish we made was pretty good (had red onion, fennel, vinegar reduction...can't remember the last ingredient.).

Jenne

I just made a cilantro-avocado-mango salad (with lime and salt to taste) the other day (to go with the fish, actually).  Twas tasty.

LMNO

Which reminds me, I have to roast the other half of the head for salads.