News:

It is our goal to harrass and harangue you ever further toward our own incoherent brand of horse-laugh radicalism.

Main Menu

Bernie Sanders Goes to Washington

Started by AFK, December 10, 2010, 08:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Bernie Sanders is filibustering the tax cut bill, old school.

Dude has been on the floor talking for over four hours now.

http://www.c-span.org/Watch/C-SPAN2.aspx

Go Bernie Go!

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Jenne

:mittens:  I mean, not that it'll work, but you know, I'm a sucker for romanticism (still).

Requia ☣

He is really laying the smackdown regardless.  Even if it doesn't effect the vote it warms my heart to see a US senator tell the people that their children can expect to make half what they do.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Jenne

Wow.  He's still going.  STRONG.  Looking a little ragged around the edges.  But still cranking it out.

Adios

Guess I better kiss my fucking unemployment benefit extension goodbye then.  :kingmeh:

Requia ☣

Yes, because its the end of the world if they vote on it tomorrow instead of today.

Cain

According to National Review, Bernie Sanders is possibly RACIST for fillibustering.  And possibly even a DEMOCRAT.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/255082/sanders-running-out-material-kevin-d-williamson

QuoteIf he's feeling nostalgic for an old-fashioned Democratic filibuster, maybe Bernie Sanders should read the transcript of Democrat/Klansman/Exalted Senatorial Cyclops Robert K. Byrd's famous filibuster of the 1964 Civil Rights Act: 14 hours of Democratic rhetoric that deserve to live in infamy.

Of course, the Democrats lost. Somebody remind me of how that vote went down again?

Oh yeah: All but six Republicans in the Senate supported the Civil Rights Act, while about a third of Democrats — who held a large majority — voted against it, including the Klan recruiter who would remain the dean of Senate Democrats until his death in 2010.

Which is of course why until this very day black Americans have seen the Republicans as the party which champions their interests.

Requia ☣

Wait wait, Sanders filibusters one bill, for a day, and he's racist?

What does that make the republicans, who have been filibustering damn near everything, sometimes delaying legislation for months?

Edit: I apparently can't type the write antonym, in addition to the homophone problems.   :oops:

Cain

THE PARTY OF ROBERT BYRD AND GEORGE WALLACE AND THE KLAN.

Adios

Quote from: Cain on December 11, 2010, 05:08:27 PM
THE PARTY OF ROBERT BYRD AND GEORGE WALLACE AND THE KLAN.

Christ, I lived in Alabama in those days.

Cain

PARTY OF LINCOLN!  SUCK IT NAZICRATS!
\
:redneck2:

Adios

I prefer this;

John Adam's views on social classes and interaction are still relevant and innovative for present day society. Adam's believed that all forms of society would be separated based on money or class. This notion was inevitable to Adams, however, he believed that prominent or wealthy individuals should not take part in politics because of their inherent power and inability to relate to the common man. Adam's never owned a slave nor believed in the idea of slavery, this stance is a reflection of the man's character, and stresses his stance on civic virtues.

http://constitution.laws.com/the-founding-fathers/john-adams

Juana

Quote from: Cain on December 11, 2010, 03:01:45 PM
According to National Review, Bernie Sanders is possibly RACIST for fillibustering.  And possibly even a DEMOCRAT.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/255082/sanders-running-out-material-kevin-d-williamson

QuoteIf he's feeling nostalgic for an old-fashioned Democratic filibuster, maybe Bernie Sanders should read the transcript of Democrat/Klansman/Exalted Senatorial Cyclops Robert K. Byrd's famous filibuster of the 1964 Civil Rights Act: 14 hours of Democratic rhetoric that deserve to live in infamy.

Of course, the Democrats lost. Somebody remind me of how that vote went down again?

Oh yeah: All but six Republicans in the Senate supported the Civil Rights Act, while about a third of Democrats — who held a large majority — voted against it, including the Klan recruiter who would remain the dean of Senate Democrats until his death in 2010.

Which is of course why until this very day black Americans have seen the Republicans as the party which champions their interests.
Nevermind that those Democrats mostly migrated to the Republicans under Regan. (iirc, anyway)
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Cain

Pretty sure most of them changed affiliation after the Civil Rights Act was passed.  Thurmond switched in 1964, for example.

Also the Southern Strategy pretty much negates anything most Republicans have to say about supporting civil liberties and being against racism.  To quote prominent GOP strategist Lee Atwater:

QuoteYou start out in 1954 by saying, "Nigger, nigger, nigger." By 1968 you can't say "nigger"—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites.

And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "Nigger, nigger".

Or like Bob Herbert, in the same article the above quote comes from:

Quote"The truth is that there was very little that was subconscious about the G.O.P.'s relentless appeal to racist whites. Tired of losing elections, it saw an opportunity to renew itself by opening its arms wide to white voters who could never forgive the Democratic Party for its support of civil rights and voting rights for blacks."

Adios

Quote from: Cain on December 11, 2010, 09:48:55 PM
Pretty sure most of them changed affiliation after the Civil Rights Act was passed.  Thurmond switched in 1964, for example.

Also the Southern Strategy pretty much negates anything most Republicans have to say about supporting civil liberties and being against racism.  To quote prominent GOP strategist Lee Atwater:

QuoteYou start out in 1954 by saying, "Nigger, nigger, nigger." By 1968 you can't say "nigger"—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites.

And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "Nigger, nigger".

Or like Bob Herbert, in the same article the above quote comes from:

Quote"The truth is that there was very little that was subconscious about the G.O.P.'s relentless appeal to racist whites. Tired of losing elections, it saw an opportunity to renew itself by opening its arms wide to white voters who could never forgive the Democratic Party for its support of civil rights and voting rights for blacks."

Those were exciting times to be alive.