News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

The 6 Stupidest Internet Reactions To Shocking News Stories

Started by Cramulus, October 25, 2011, 03:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

I liked this article:

The 6 Stupidest Internet Reactions To Shocking News Stories
http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-stupidest-internet-reactions-to-shocking-news-stories/

Back in 2007, we had a group here called the Adam Weishaupt Society, a secretive cabal which competed over who could come up with the most persuasive fake news, we discovered a number of these "typical stupid reactions". One of our notable adventures took place about two weeks after the video game Halo 3 came out, we ran a fake news article about how a guy in New York died from dehydration while playing. This article spread pretty effectively and we were all cackling as we read people's reactions to it.

But after the first wave, all the other reactions were identical. I think we tripped 3 out of 6 of the "typical reactions" in this cracked article.

I like this cracked article because it's metacommentary. It's commenting on how people comment, and that can lead to shifts in communication patterns.

I now invite you to demonstrate these reactions in the posts to follow.  :lol:

Jasper

I read this with  worsening chagrin, as I realized I've done almost all of these at some point.

Sad Jasper.
                         \
:facepalm: 

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Jasper on October 25, 2011, 05:15:36 PM
I read this with  worsening chagrin, as I realized I've done almost all of these at some point.

Sad Jasper.
                         \
:facepalm: 

Yeah. I think that we're all guilty of it from time to time.

One difference though is that instead of "there ought to be a law!" I'm more like, "great, guess they're going to pass another stupid law."
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Jenne

Demonstration:

This just goes to show we monkeys can react very typically to most anything--even so-called meta-commentary on reactions to news on the interbutts.

:monkeydance:

Triple Zero

I don't understand why everybody is so surprised that Cram posted a thread to discuss metacommentary?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

President Television

My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Rumckle

Quote from: Uncle Wallified on October 30, 2011, 03:02:53 AM
Would that make this thread metametacommentary?

Now I'm tempted to make a thread about this thread...
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rumckle on October 30, 2011, 04:53:44 AM
Quote from: Uncle Wallified on October 30, 2011, 03:02:53 AM
Would that make this thread metametacommentary?

Now I'm tempted to make a thread about this thread...

Make it on a different board, then make a thread here that links to it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."