News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

Making Occult Studies more Accessible

Started by LHX, December 20, 2006, 08:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 15, 2012, 07:22:41 PM
ATTN PD.COM:

I HAVE MANAGED TO GAIN CONTROL OF ROGER'S MIND LAZORS. 

DEMANDS TO FOLLOW.

This is all going to end in tears, I just know it.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Luna

My brain has just, without my consent, provided me with an image of those two things used on conjunction.

I hate you all.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 15, 2012, 05:23:18 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 15, 2012, 05:19:36 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 15, 2012, 05:15:38 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 15, 2012, 05:13:16 PM
Yes, but we don't know why it would do that.

That's where you apply the scientific process.  After all, if it has a benefit, it should be studied.

Calling it woo doesn't accomplish anything but marginalizing a potentially helpful practice.

Agreed -- but it was originally discovered when the woo was everywhere.  We should not keep the woo, but we shouldn't reject it just because the woo was there when we found it.

Which means that sometimes, sometimes, we have to look at the woo a bit longer than may be comfortable, to see if there's anything there we can use once we clean the shit off of it.

That's exactly my point.  If it works reliably, it isn't woo.  I am all about people using yoga, meditation, or Jack Daniels, if that's what helps them get through the night.  But there is no need to refer to it as woo, anymore, for the same reason that we don't refer to germs as demons, or the sun as some big fucker in a chariot.

THANK YOU, REVEREND!

See, I think the bulk of this whole argument is right fucking there. If it works, it's not magic. If it's not magic, occluding it with a bunch of obfuscating terminology is guru bullshit at best.

I use ritual to focus my mind. I have an altar and I burn candles and incense, which boosts my mood by creating a pleasant ambiance in my home. I write spells to help me keep track of goals or things I need to do, only I call the spell "a list". Sometimes I draw sigils, only I call them "doodles". I don't like obfuscating things with a bunch of occult trappings, so I just call them what they are using words nobody is going to be confused, spooked, impressed, or intimidated by.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 15, 2012, 05:40:53 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 15, 2012, 05:29:11 PM
Well, then wouldn't it depend on how one approaches it, then?

I mean, if I said that I "use psychological methods of pattern recognition and symbolic triggers to frame a meta cogntive process allowing me to self-analyze my decision making abilities," why would that be any different than "I use tarot to help me figure stuff out"?

Actually, at that point, I think you're out in the woo.  Call me a jackass, but I see no value in Tarot cards that can't be more reliably achieved using standard old problem-solving/troubleshooting practices.

I use Tarot, by which I mean I look at pictures and observe the conclusions I jump to about them.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Nigel on February 15, 2012, 07:47:07 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 15, 2012, 05:23:18 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 15, 2012, 05:19:36 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 15, 2012, 05:15:38 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 15, 2012, 05:13:16 PM
Yes, but we don't know why it would do that.

That's where you apply the scientific process.  After all, if it has a benefit, it should be studied.

Calling it woo doesn't accomplish anything but marginalizing a potentially helpful practice.

Agreed -- but it was originally discovered when the woo was everywhere.  We should not keep the woo, but we shouldn't reject it just because the woo was there when we found it.

Which means that sometimes, sometimes, we have to look at the woo a bit longer than may be comfortable, to see if there's anything there we can use once we clean the shit off of it.

That's exactly my point.  If it works reliably, it isn't woo.  I am all about people using yoga, meditation, or Jack Daniels, if that's what helps them get through the night.  But there is no need to refer to it as woo, anymore, for the same reason that we don't refer to germs as demons, or the sun as some big fucker in a chariot.

THANK YOU, REVEREND!

See, I think the bulk of this whole argument is right fucking there. If it works, it's not magic. If it's not magic, occluding it with a bunch of obfuscating terminology is guru bullshit at best.

I use ritual to focus my mind. I have an altar and I burn candles and incense, which boosts my mood by creating a pleasant ambiance in my home. I write spells to help me keep track of goals or things I need to do, only I call the spell "a list". Sometimes I draw sigils, only I call them "doodles". I don't like obfuscating things with a bunch of occult trappings, so I just call them what they are using words nobody is going to be confused, spooked, impressed, or intimidated by.

Yes. YES YES YES.

USING OCCULT TERMINOLOGY TO DESCRIBE EMPIRICALLY-BASED PROCESSES IS JUST ABOUT THE SINGLE MOST FUCKING PRETENTIOUS AND TWATTY THING I CAN THINK OF.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

The twattiest thing *I* can think of is that we're having this debate AGAIN.

:lulz:

TGRR,
Twat

East Coast Hustle

I never get tired of poking idiots with sticks, even if those idiots are my otherwise intelligent friends.

hell, ESPECIALLY then.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

I mean, they would (and do) do it for me, so it would be rude for me not to return the favor.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on February 15, 2012, 07:56:22 PM
I mean, they would (and do) do it for me, so it would be rude for me not to return the favor.

They aren't your friends if they let you publicly humiliate yourself without at least trying to clue you in.

LMNO

Quote from: ECHUSING OCCULT TERMINOLOGY TO DESCRIBE EMPIRICALLY-BASED PROCESSES IS JUST ABOUT THE SINGLE MOST FUCKING PRETENTIOUS AND TWATTY THING I CAN THINK OF.

WHICH IS WHY WE'RE TRYING TO GET RID OF THE OCCULT TERMINOLOGY AND EXAMINE THE PROCESSES.

But you can't do that without starting with the woo, and reverse engineering until you get to the meat.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 15, 2012, 08:18:05 PM
Quote from: ECHUSING OCCULT TERMINOLOGY TO DESCRIBE EMPIRICALLY-BASED PROCESSES IS JUST ABOUT THE SINGLE MOST FUCKING PRETENTIOUS AND TWATTY THING I CAN THINK OF.

WHICH IS WHY WE'RE TRYING TO GET RID OF THE OCCULT TERMINOLOGY AND EXAMINE THE PROCESSES.

But you can't do that without starting with the woo, and reverse engineering until you get to the meat.

I think we all agree to THAT.

I just think there's some disagreement as to what consitutes "meat".

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 15, 2012, 08:23:53 PM
That sounds fair.

Also, refusing to cut off the woo, or at least refusing to throw it away, is also a problem.

FOR EXAMPLE:  Still referring to it as "magick", when everyone knows damn well that it's not.