News:

I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

SBOTD - Good Boy! aka. Things You Don't Need to Hear

Started by LHX, December 29, 2006, 03:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

http://www.philosophistry.com/archives/2004/04/if_ignorance_is_bliss_what_should_intellectuals_do.html

Some additions:

- Nobody will ever understand you completely.
- You can only speak for yourself.
- There will always be a major distortion between what you know, what you will be able to communicate, and what people will then comprehend.

- There is no such thing as perfect trust.
- Life does have no intrinsic meaning.
- Much of my life is directed by things preceding me and therefore out of my control.
- Your mind will always be polluted by public discourse (superego*).
- We impact everything, but yet we are often powerless to control.
- Discursive opinion will often not match reality.
- Perspectives and living are ephemeral and temporary.
- There is no perfect truth (save for maybe Math)
- You will always be irrational.
- Your emotions will always interfere with your sense of truth.
- Life is composed of layers of visible and invisible cliche's and story lines
- We are ultimately subject to forces beyond us, natural selection, laws of accelerating returns, etc.
- There is no perfect break from some vaguely deterministic path.
- What ppl tell you or how others view you will inevitbly affect you.
- No event or action is completely beneficial.
- You will always be an agent of some evil.
- You will never be beyond reproach.
- You will be the vehicle of stupid actions that are equally as inane as the sins of others
- You will always have bias.
- Outside of science, nobody knows. like politics. etc.
- We will always have to act on incomplete knowledge.
- There is no absolutely good action
- You will never be able to do precisely what you want to do
- There is no true home
- You can never be truly authentic
- There will always be so much more beyond your awareness.
- Not everything is possible
- You will always be part of an existing process
- You can never truly break from the trajectory, maybe nudge it around, but that'll ultimately be part of that trajectory
- Your weaknesses will always be betrayed by your actions at some point
- You will always be in some nature fake
- No event or meal or situation or conversation will be completely satisfactory
- Nothing will every be completely satisfactory
- You will never be completely comfortable
- Something will always be itchy
- The gravity of life will always be subject to potential subjection of risk to utter, stupid, and simple anniilation. Like a car accident.
- You will never have total control
- You won't be able to win them all. Someone will always hate you no matter what.
- There is no perfect art
- There are other lives within you that will carry on their own
- You won't ever be beyond your own embarassment.
- You will never do the optimal thing
- There is no true external should.
- There will always be a kryptonite.
- You cannot escape your emotions.
- You cannot forget the past.
- Something will always haunt you.
- Nobody is beyond temptation
- Knowing and doing will always be different

Added 4/11/04:
- You won't ever completely understand yourself or others.
- Some things you will never be able to get over.
- You will never rid the world of evil and cruelty
- You will never reach your full potential

Added 4/12/04
- You will always be subject to the needs of your containing vehicles: physical body, relationships, family, house, nation, car, etc..
- Because of the nature of time, everything that persists requires maintenence.

DJRubberducky

Quote from: Cain on January 14, 2007, 04:24:40 PM
- There will always be a major distortion between what you know, what you will be able to communicate, and what people will then comprehend.

I don't know whether to be relieved that it's not just me, or sad because if it's not just me, that means there's probably fuck-all I can do to fix it.

Sort of related: A while back, I was pondering the phenomenon of Otherkin and wondering what prompts people to embrace such a philosophy.  And while I'm sure the typical answer of "cry for attention" plays some part, I also think some folks decide it's the best explanation of why they interact with the world so much differently than others around them.  "None of the other human beings I know have these particular problems with life, or if they do, they have a much easier time handling it.  Why am I the only one with these particular difficulties?  Oh!  It's because I'm not entirely human!"  It's not so much that they want to believe they're better than everyone else; it's more like they want an easy explanation for why it's just them.
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

LMNO

DJ - that bit you quoted from Cain is pretty much the driving force behind my interest in language, semantics and debate.

Good observation about the Otherkin, btw.

AFK

Quote from: DJRubberducky on January 16, 2007, 03:50:48 PM
Sort of related: A while back, I was pondering the phenomenon of Otherkin and wondering what prompts people to embrace such a philosophy.  And while I'm sure the typical answer of "cry for attention" plays some part, I also think some folks decide it's the best explanation of why they interact with the world so much differently than others around them.  "None of the other human beings I know have these particular problems with life, or if they do, they have a much easier time handling it.  Why am I the only one with these particular difficulties?  Oh!  It's because I'm not entirely human!"  It's not so much that they want to believe they're better than everyone else; it's more like they want an easy explanation for why it's just them.

I have a close friend who I would describe as an Otherkin.  We worked together in Retail Hell and he would often comment about "you humans"  It seemed to be a very real frustration with the human condition and a deep longing to not be associated with it.  Of course it eventually turned him on to the PD, and subsequently turned me onto it.  But, I never really echoed his otherkin sentiment.  While I do truly get frustrated with human behavior, to totally isolate yourself from it, even if simply symbolic, doesn't really seem very productive.  I'd much rather rally with others to try to have some impact on it, even if it is borderline non-existant.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LHX

neat hell

Ambassador KAOS

In the case of otherkin, I say do what's best for society.  Start by preying on that which is different for fear of how unnatural and different it is.  We are right because we have the guns, and since you've decided to label yourself as different we might as well start with the easiest targets.  Then kill the heretics and non-believers (at least the ones we point at), that'll teach em for being weird and not paying me taxes as tribute for how superior I am.  Next we decide a heirarchy, with me as leader of course, and the people who impress me the most as my generals.  In a very short ammount of time we'll develop an excellent dictatorship under the guise of liberty and justice for all and then confuse the slaves with some abstract bulshit called capitalism.  Who's with me?  Everyone, of course.  I know because I'm right because I have the guns.  Oh, by the way, violence is wrong.
AKK

I liked the opening rant, it inspired me for the greater good to puch my beliefs on others =P
AKK: twice as modded as you'd believe.

phear my 1337 braynz!!!!11one!

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on March 30, 2007, 11:42:40 PM
At this point, I believe there only two things that are going to stop him.

1.  His connection going down
2.  HIMEOBS

NEWS:  Principia Discordia dot com:  Now with 90% less Ambassador KAOS!

Mourning Star

There's things I want to say, but I'm not sure if that's some REALLY clever sarcasm and wit, or if he's trolling, or both...

30 posts remain until I'll know for certain I guess...

Jasper

I know a guy who might just barely fit into his own species.  He's Ted the Tedanian, and he's human shaped, but his genes are just different enough to classify him as inhuman.  Guy changes color.  After a month of dried noodles, he turned yellow.  Also has inhuman endurance... a lot of shit that doesn't come to mind, but he's a freak.

Is that otherkin?

LHX

Quote from: Ambassador KAOS on March 24, 2007, 08:36:00 PM
In the case of otherkin, I say do what's best for society.  Start by preying on that which is different for fear of how unnatural and different it is.  We are right because we have the guns, and since you've decided to label yourself as different we might as well start with the easiest targets.  Then kill the heretics and non-believers (at least the ones we point at), that'll teach em for being weird and not paying me taxes as tribute for how superior I am.  Next we decide a heirarchy, with me as leader of course, and the people who impress me the most as my generals.  In a very short ammount of time we'll develop an excellent dictatorship under the guise of liberty and justice for all and then confuse the slaves with some abstract bulshit called capitalism.  Who's with me?  Everyone, of course.  I know because I'm right because I have the guns.  Oh, by the way, violence is wrong.
AKK

I liked the opening rant, it inspired me for the greater good to puch my beliefs on others =P

yeah - try that out for a while

see how it goes
neat hell

Ambassador KAOS

Quote from: LHX on March 25, 2007, 02:12:22 AM

see how it goes

I would but I already lost interest.  Seems someone beat me to it anyhow.
AKK

2.  HIMEOBS

Jenne

Quote from: Felix Mackay on March 25, 2007, 12:57:31 AM
I know a guy who might just barely fit into his own species.  He's Ted the Tedanian, and he's human shaped, but his genes are just different enough to classify him as inhuman.  Guy changes color.  After a month of dried noodles, he turned yellow.  Also has inhuman endurance... a lot of shit that doesn't come to mind, but he's a freak.

Is that otherkin?

Eh, they usu put themselves in the same pot as werewolves, etc.  Part-human, part-aneemall.  *shrug*  I think DJ is right...it's a reach into what you can't explain about yourself that makes you feel "other than" everyone else around you, and gives you reason to not be responsible for it.

As for Cain's list, I have issue with quite a few up there.  One of them being the first one.

I have to say that I have a VERY close relationship with both of my younger brothers.  To the point where I understand VERY well where they are coming from.  And they me.  So...even though they don't AGREE with every little action I take, they totally see where I am and what I feel, at pretty much every stage of the game.

Guess I'm a lucky bitch that way.

The Good Reverend Roger

Is that otherkin?

IS HE A BEAUTIFUL FAIRY PRINCESS?

TGRR,
BEAUTIFUL FAIRY PRINCESS.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Ambassador KAOS

Is that otherkin?

I think otherkin indicates that you are so pretentious as to believe that your own differences from the rest of the human race make you unique enough to warrant a special title in a classical form of mental masterbation.  I always do my part to recomend to anyone that pretentious that they, rather than mentally masturbate, just get straight to it and give themselves head whilst fisting themselves.  Why dance around the subject?  Why not get straight to it?  Point is everyone is, everyone is different and that doesn't make you special to be different too.  This is exactly why the bartender gives you a savage blow to the head at the end of the barstool experiment, to let you know that being pretentious doesn't make you immune to the laws of physical reality.  In this fashion, realizing that you are oh soooo deep and poetic (aka a giant bleeding heart/vagina wussy) that you must indeed have the blood/spirit of the fae (or some other ridiculous myth) in your body and feel it necessary to share your delusion with the rest of us who are doing our best not to push our retarded bullshit on other people for the sake of harmony, peace and good will toward men.  Much like the barstool experiement, a savage blow to the head cures all.
Unfortunately without this level of delusional behavior i would lose much of my entertainment.  Crazy, pretentious and ridiculous people make up about 95% of my friends beause their ridiculousness can at least hold my attention span if I'm in the mood for it.  Further, being that they are so delusional they are also usually preconditioned to dealing with the fringe benefits of being counted among my friends.  Indeed, being among friends does not excuse me from flaming them incessently about how retardiculous they can be, and I would expect no less from them (as it's all in good fun anyhow).
In any case, Ted the tedian isn't actually human, he's a superhero, and he sounds like he kicks ass, especially if he is self described as ted the tedian.  I give him 2 points for style for not hyjacking some other overused cliche.
AKK

2.  HIMEOBS

LHX

Quote from: Ambassador KAOS on March 25, 2007, 03:27:01 AM

see how it goes

AKK

and what did you learn from their mistakes?
neat hell

Ambassador KAOS

Quote from: LHX on March 25, 2007, 01:23:40 PM
Quote from: Ambassador KAOS on March 25, 2007, 03:27:01 AM

see how it goes

AKK

and what did you learn from their mistakes?

Mistakes?  Are you kidding, they're still in office! They always have been!  What the hell are you talking about?  :mrgreen: *waves patriotic flag and lights self on fire*

2.  HIMEOBS