News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

The Best Map

Started by LHX, January 18, 2007, 01:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc Howl

Quote from: LHX on February 15, 2007, 10:56:27 PM
Quote from: Doc Howl on February 15, 2007, 10:55:02 PM
Or I might just spend my time chasing women IRL.
let them try to bag you

That's more effective, but not as much fun.
GET IT OFF ME!

LHX

Quote from: Doc Howl on February 15, 2007, 10:50:58 PM
Quote from: LHX on February 15, 2007, 10:48:15 PM
if you can explain the scientific origins of stupidity, then we can close the forum

I'll take a stab at it.

We're pack animals.  We need an alpha male to tell us what to do.  If makes more sense, evolutionarily speaking, to do what the alpha male says, than to think for ourselves.  Given a lack of instructions or bad instructions, we are unable to behave in a rational way, because we aren't wired to do so.  Independent thinking seems to be a fatal mutation.

a alternative stance

we are not pack animals
we have been trained to listen to instructions
it makes more sense, evolutionarily speaking, to explore for ourselves
being denied the ability to explore for ourselves, there is a clash which results in a lot of confusion because our wires are crossed
independent thinking seems to trying to find a way to come back wiff a vengeance
neat hell

LHX

Quote from: Doc Howl on February 15, 2007, 10:59:25 PM
Quote from: LHX on February 15, 2007, 10:56:27 PM
Quote from: Doc Howl on February 15, 2007, 10:55:02 PM
Or I might just spend my time chasing women IRL.
let them try to bag you

That's more effective, but not as much fun.
thats fun
but not the most fun
neat hell

Doc Howl

Quote from: LHX on February 15, 2007, 11:01:13 PM
if you can explain the scientific origins of stupidity, then we can close the forum

I'll take a stab at it.

We're pack animals.  We need an alpha male to tell us what to do.  If makes more sense, evolutionarily speaking, to do what the alpha male says, than to think for ourselves.  Given a lack of instructions or bad instructions, we are unable to behave in a rational way, because we aren't wired to do so.  Independent thinking seems to be a fatal mutation.

a alternative stance

we are not pack animals
being denied the ability to explore for ourselves, there is a clash which results in a lot of confusion because our wires are crossed
independent thinking seems to trying to find a way to come back wiff a vengeance

Not bad, except that we're primates, and therefore we ARE pack animals (calling something by a different name doesn't change its properties.  Neither does pretending or wishing).  Independent thought prevents the pack from "pulling in the same direction", and is therefore undesirable, from a natural selection point of view.  This is why most humans will do whatever the hell they are told.

GET IT OFF ME!

Doc Howl

GET IT OFF ME!

LHX

Quote from: Doc Howl on February 15, 2007, 11:04:39 PM

I'll take a stab at it.

a alternative stance

we are not pack animals

Not bad, except that we're primates, and therefore we ARE pack animals (calling something by a different name doesn't change its properties.  Neither does pretending or wishing).  Independent thought prevents the pack from "pulling in the same direction", and is therefore undesirable, from a natural selection point of view.  This is why most humans will do whatever the hell they are told.

if we didnt have the ability to discuss our status as pack animals, i would agree with you

but that is a pretty un-ignorable difference

the difference between this and that is a little more than the gee-shucks type progression that modern science seems to be fond of
neat hell

B_M_W

I'll take a stab at it.

a alternative stance

we are not pack animals

Primates aren't pack animals, per se. We are social, and we have hierarchies, but we aren't pack animals. And there is certainly no intrinsic property of the primate family that dictates the complex social orders of some of great apes, us included.

As far as independant thought goes, you need not look any further than the Bonobos.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Doc Howl

Quote from: Buddhist_Monk_Wannabe on February 16, 2007, 01:30:49 AM

I'll take a stab at it.

a alternative stance

we are not pack animals

Primates aren't pack animals, per se. We are social, and we have hierarchies, but we aren't pack animals. And there is certainly no intrinsic property of the primate family that dictates the complex social orders of some of great apes, us included.

As far as independant thought goes, you need not look any further than the Bonobos.

Please tell me you aren't going to bring up that "100 bonobos" garbage.

Please.

GET IT OFF ME!

Doc Howl

Quote from: LHX on February 15, 2007, 11:08:20 PM

I'll take a stab at it.

a alternative stance

we are not pack animals

if we didnt have the ability to discuss our status as pack animals, i would agree with you

but that is a pretty un-ignorable difference

the difference between this and that is a little more than the gee-shucks type progression that modern science seems to be fond of

Huh?  Even lobotomy patients can carry on a conversation. 

And yeah, bad ole science.  Gets in the way at pagan fests, etc.

I have a question for you...which part of the scientific method do you have a problem with?
GET IT OFF ME!

B_M_W

Quote from: Doc Howl on February 16, 2007, 01:38:13 AM
Quote from: Buddhist_Monk_Wannabe on February 16, 2007, 01:30:49 AM

I'll take a stab at it.

a alternative stance

we are not pack animals

Please tell me you aren't going to bring up that "100 bonobos" garbage.

Please.

*eyebrow* If you want to bring it up, you can. Nothing I say is garbage.

You were making blanket statements. I got tired of it.

As for scientific method, I know it quite well. Im a biologist.

You'll find that most people here agree that the scientific method is an invaluable tool.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

Doc Howl

Quote from: Buddhist_Monk_Wannabe on February 16, 2007, 01:44:59 AM

You'll find that most people here agree that the scientific method is an invaluable tool.

So far, all I've seen are people that think it's inconvenient.

Or decide to continue bringing up discredited work like the 100 bonobo bit, because it appeals to them.

Or hacks who decide to slip in cheap shots ("no matter what D&D tells you, etc") when they don't have an argument.

Sorry for being rational.  I promise not to interfere in your "occult studies". *snicker*

Just let me know when you get results, okay? 
GET IT OFF ME!

B_M_W

Quote from: Doc Howl on February 16, 2007, 01:48:55 AM
Quote from: Buddhist_Monk_Wannabe on February 16, 2007, 01:44:59 AM

So far, all I've seen are people that think it's inconvenient.

Or decide to continue bringing up discredited work like the 100 bonobo bit, because it appeals to them.

Or hacks who decide to slip in cheap shots ("no matter what D&D tells you, etc") when they don't have an argument.

Sorry for being rational.  I promise not to interfere in your "occult studies". *snicker*

Just let me know when you get results, okay? 

LOL

Results.

For occult studies?

Get real.

This is just though processes. Mind expansion if you will.

Do you really believe that we actually BELIEVE all this stuff?

BTW, I wasn't talking about the "100 Bonobos", I was thinking more about the unque social structure of bonobo society. That story, which I hardly remember at all, I only thought of when you mentioned it.

As for the D&D quip, I find it bizzare that anyone would think that tools have some kind of standard action for which they are useful, and that you could put a "good" or "bad" lable on that. "Whatever works".

Thurnez Isa

holy shit wish I had time to read all this...
but gotta get back to work
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Doc Howl

Quote from: Buddhist_Monk_Wannabe on February 16, 2007, 01:57:04 AM

Do you really believe that we actually BELIEVE all this stuff?

I think LHX does.  Not too sure about you, yet.  You came running pretty quick.

Quote from: Buddhist_Monk_Wannabe on February 16, 2007, 01:57:04 AM

As for the D&D quip, I find it bizzare that anyone would think that tools have some kind of standard action for which they are useful, and that you could put a "good" or "bad" lable on that. "Whatever works".

Either that, or you decided to substitute a cheap shot for an argument.  Based on your posts so far, I think that's more likely.  

On a related note, you've never rebuilt a car engine, have you?  I mean, since tools don't have standard actions, I imagine you found some way to use a socket wrench as a gear puller.  I'd be interested in any new insights you have...you know, like using a screwdriver as a torque wrench, etc.

GET IT OFF ME!

The Littlest Ubermensch

Quote from: Doc Howl on February 16, 2007, 02:01:31 AM
Either that, or you decided to substitute a cheap shot for an argument.  Based on your posts so far, I think that's more likely.  

On a related note, you've never rebuilt a car engine, have you?  I mean, since tools don't have standard actions, I imagine you found some way to use a socket wrench as a gear puller.  I'd be interested in any new insights you have...you know, like using a screwdriver as a torque wrench, etc.

God damn. You're either a brilliant troll, or a complete fucktard. (Just thought it was worth stating.)
[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

LISTEN TO MY SHOW THURSDAY 5-7 EST

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE