News:

TESTAMONIAL:  "I was still a bit rattled by the spectacular devastation."

Main Menu

Enough

Started by Jasper, May 15, 2007, 03:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

well said Jenne

btw, I've split off this thread to talk about LMNO's earlier post. see here.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Random Probability on May 22, 2007, 05:05:39 PM
Quote from: Netaungrot on May 22, 2007, 01:45:57 AM
Quote from: Random Probability on May 21, 2007, 05:15:12 PM
I meant that it was an entirely solo experience.  Nobody else can help you find "enlightenment".  It's strictly a do-it-yourself project.

Of course the individual is ultimately responsible for doing the work on their own problems.  I agree with you there.

But, if you think no one can help guide, inform, or influence you on your way... well, no wonder you liken spirituality to an unsatisfying fantasy and speak about it in the past tense.

The problem here is that nobody else can know what it will take to give you that magic moment.  This falls under the category "you can lead a man to knowledge, but you can't make him think."  The process does not occur in a vacuum. You can steal ideas from other people, but unless you already think exactly like that person does, their ideas can't help you.

However, once you start preaching to people how to become "enlightened" you just created a religion, and all religions are full of poomp and fail (mostly poomp).

I ranted here once about the evils of believing other people's shit.  Nothing's changed.

yep.  Here is the bit about spirituality vs religion.

Just because someone doesn't know the precise moment or what specifically will trigger a life-changing realization DOES NOT mean there are not methods that make it much more probable.  Furthermoar, you can't provide any evidence that the individual experiencing radical shifts in perspective has any greater understanding of the causal dynamics behind the process than the asshole guiding them towards mindset ruination.

Which makes you full of shit.

Unless I think exactly like someone, their ideas can't help me?  Utter bullshit.

Believe nothing?  BARSTOOL MOTHERFUCKER, CAN IT KNOCK YUO OUT?

Just goes to show you don't need religion to say spastically foolish things.

You're on the right track but on the wrong train.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mangrove

2 cents:

i was under the impression that the etymology for 'supersition' meant to be 'excessively religious'.

that appears to differentiate between people who are 'religious' and people who are 'getting a bit carried away'.

the word 'religion' has become something of a heavily loaded, and possibly, taboo word for many people. but it's root meaning is 'to be bound back to oneself'. it doesn't mean 'believing every last piece of BS spouted by a guy wearing a funny hat and quoting from a terminally boring, heavily edited and badly translated piece of bastardized middle eastern folklore.'

as for the numerous masturbation references, the notion of 'everything is just neurochemistry' is considered (from what i understand) to be the extreme end of the post-modernist school of examining mysticism/sprituality/whatever.

'rational mysticsm' by john horgan is an excellent read because it delves into this very subject.

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Triple Zero

superstition = the magic without the NLP
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.