News:

He was a pretty good teacher, but he's also batshit insane and smells like ferret pee.

Main Menu

Pathways: An open-source study and exploration. (Paths and Shrapnel)

Started by AFK, July 03, 2007, 02:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangrove

2c:

I agree with RWHN that the name is less important than getting a better handle on the mechanics. Though I will say that I did like the original idea coming from 'shrapnel'.

To me, the memes seem more like particles of radiation - the sun in particular (for me, anyway) could provide a fantastic metaphoric model.

I was thinking today (yeah, first time in ages) about what it is we're doing that is

a) Discordian
b) Extending/revising the original PD.

The idea that struck me is that when the original PD was produced, the 'meme' metaphor did not exist. We do have it now and we can exploit that to our advantage. What we can do that the original PDers couldn't do, is elaborate in more detail on what constitutes our reality grids (BIP) and also what may cause them to undergo constant change (possible 'shrapnel'). Not only that, the emerging shrapnel concept (whatever it ends up being called) suggests multiple layers of interconnection and thus, the personal responsibilities & implications that arise from it.

Therefore - the BIP and other models were drawn from the PD but have the benefit of new information, fresh minds and changing times. Thus, I believe that we have added something new and are likely to continue to do so.

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

LMNO

Something is bubbling in my brain.  I'm giving it some time to simmer & congeal.

Mangrove

Quote from: LMNO on July 10, 2007, 08:37:31 PM
Something is bubbling in my brain.  I'm giving it some time to simmer & congeal.

that might be an anyeurism.

or a good idea... :lol:

LMNO

Mangrove

please to be elaborating on your inspirational anyeurism...(if it's congealed enough yet).

LMNO

Payne

Also, I'll see if I can find my scribbled notes about the sun metaphor, and copy them to here.

Mangrove

AFK

It's that "multiple layers of interconnectedness" that I was wanting to eventually get to.  But I'm loathe to end up simply re-writing the Butterfly Effect.  I've gotta hash it out some more. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mangrove

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on July 10, 2007, 08:47:52 PM
It's that "multiple layers of interconnectedness" that I was wanting to eventually get to.  But I'm loathe to end up simply re-writing the Butterfly Effect.  I've gotta hash it out some more. 

uhh just re-write it without Ashton Kutcher and it'll be fine.

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mangrove

Mangrove

LMNO

Not yet.  I'm having trouble figuring out what the hell I'm trying to say.

Something like:

~(BIP as verb, not a noun)

~Paths traveled in a desert.

~everyone walking a different one.

~Experiences/Expectations = IED

~Shrapnel = Bars of cell.

Something like that.

LHX

neat hell