News:

Yeah, fuckface! Get ready to be beaten down. Grrr! Internet ain't so safe now is it motherfucker! Shit just got real! Bam!

Main Menu

Age Old Question Answered

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, July 03, 2007, 08:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

JOKE OR RELIGION?

To answer this I will be drawing on experiences from the recent Discordian philosophical adventure, the Black Iron Prison.

It has been seen by a lot of people.  Some have caught on, others have rejected it.

Rejection of the BIP metaphor in itself says nothing except it isn't somebody's cup of tea.

But there is a pattern of specific criticisms of the BIP that tend toward "So What" or "Now What" or "That's a Depressing/Goth/Futile philosophy."

These obviously are misguided but I don't think it's a failure of the BIP to explain itself, because if nothing else, BIP is a collection of very specifically-worded ideas that, even if you interpret what they interpret differently, don't allow much room for missing the point entirely.

Instead, it is that those who level these criticisms are following the time-honored human tradition of rejecting abstract frames of reference that do not present themselves, in the end, as justification for concrete action.  People have been trained (or maybe evolved) to expect their abstractions to give them some direction in a life that is chaotic and full of the unexpected.

Religions like Islam and Catholicism take root in deprived areas of the world where people wouldn't have the time to consider Discordianism, but it isn't because religion is any more "efficient," it's because Discordianism lacks what people think a religion should have -- clearcut directives.  Without that, then it isn't religion -- it isn't even philosophy.

So then we are left with part of our answer: Discordianism isn't a religion.  So, is it a joke then?

I submit that it is a joke, but it is a joke that's all punchline, which means that the way you live in, interact in, and view the world is all part of the punchline.  Every set-up to a punchline is its own punchline.  This is what people miss about the BIP.  They think it means you're never getting anywhere; in reality it means you're already there and you're trying to stay there, of course by "staying" i mean getting out.

Looking forward from the BIP, I think it's important that there is an attack on this most basic human flaw when it comes to internalizing abstract concepts.  It isn't enough that we blow the lid off illusion and delusion.  People love to have a delusion destroyed, as long as you offer them another delusion to replace it with.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

hunter s.durden

Stay tuned.
In the next day or two I will have to write:
Discordianism: Totally a real religion (not some joke)
This space for rent.

tyrannosaurus vex

New mode of attack:

We've seen the LOL23 shit that makes no sense.

Now we compile a serious-sounding diatribe about something full of essays that all sound equally authoritative and all present mutually exclusive arguments, and market it as a single work.

Payne

Discordianism is Masturbation on the masses.

Triple Zero

nice writings vex

at first, going from the title and mention of BIP in the beginning, i was expecting you to say something like NOT A JOKE, the BIP clearly demonstrates we're a cultlike religion!!

fortunately it turned out better than that :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Forteetu

So just a question ... the "Age Old Question" is about Discordianism being a religion, but then you discuss the acceptance of the BIP booklet. Well, written piece, but I'm a little confused on the topic.

isn't this really like a sub-cult to Discordianism? Like the Lutherans? or LDS crowd? Are you discussing Discordianism or BIPism? Or do you see them as one and the same?

Maybe a new name is in order, like the BIPpers ... or BIP Discos ... ya know, something with pazzaz
WOMP'd

Episkopos of the Discordian Society

http://42.dia.net.au - Forteetu

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Forteetu on July 05, 2007, 01:26:51 PM

So just a question ... the "Age Old Question" is about Discordianism being a religion, but then you discuss the acceptance of the BIP booklet. Well, written piece, but I'm a little confused on the topic.

isn't this really like a sub-cult to Discordianism? Like the Lutherans? or LDS crowd? Are you discussing Discordianism or BIPism? Or do you see them as one and the same?

Maybe a new name is in order, like the BIPpers ... or BIP Discos ... ya know, something with pazzaz

For the purpose of the OP, I was treating the BIP as a microcosm of Discordianism in general.

Actually I think it isn't a sub-cult, it's the R&D Department.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: vexati0n on July 05, 2007, 01:33:29 PM
For the purpose of the OP, I was treating the BIP as a microcosm of Discordianism in general.

I agree. I like that idea--we are the R&D department of Discordianism! 8)
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Cramulus

well when we're done deconstructing
and all this is all said and done (*cough*)
I still want a good laugh
and a Goddess to worship
and I don't care if it don't make sense

LMNO

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on July 05, 2007, 02:51:41 PM

If that's true, I want a raise.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: LMNO on July 05, 2007, 03:06:24 PM
Quote from: Darth Cupcake on July 05, 2007, 02:51:41 PM

If that's true, I want a raise.

Sorry, I'm afraid Discordianism doesn't have a very big budget.

We get LOADS of vacation time, though!
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

AFK

That's because we don't have the $30 cover charge like the Subgenii do. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

tyrannosaurus vex

we should R&D a good reason to have a $40 cover charge, just to show those useless subgenii who's boss.

Payne

Quote from: vexati0n on July 05, 2007, 04:45:18 PM
we should R&D a specious reason to have a $40 cover charge, just to show those useless subgenii who's boss.

Fixed

AFK

Quote from: vexati0n on July 05, 2007, 04:45:18 PM
we should R&D a good reason to have a $40 cover charge, just to show those useless subgenii who's boss.

Well, if we were to do that Meme-Boobs thing it could be the free gift with membership. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.