News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

Creativity is free

Started by Cain, December 20, 2007, 12:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reginald Ret

damn i wish albums were 13 dollars(thats about 7 euros right?) then more people might actually buy them things.

here a album is 20-25 euro a new album by a famous band comes to 30 euro.... i wonder how much of that actually ends up with the artists?

I'd still download just as much though.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Triple Zero

20-25 euro?

i suggest you start buying your CDs somewhere else than the "Free Record Shop" or "The Music Store" ;-)

try "Plato", it's a national chain afaik and has most CDs for 10-15 euros.
or try some tiny private local CD store.

for 20-25 euro you might as well order them online because even including shipping you're going to be below 18 euros.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

God, I'm starting to feel lucky to live in the US, because I buy most of my CDs for $10 on Amazon or from the musician's websites.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Reginald Ret

TBH i haven't bought a CD in at least 3 years, except for some stuff at festivals and at shows from local bands.

i was thinking of the free record shop :D
Taking the worst example to prove a point is fun :D
and technically not exaggerating.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cain

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/news/2008/04/myspace_music

This actually has some potential.  Surprisingly, I can find myself in agreement with this, as a business model.  I presume the money would come from marketing on the site which, to be honest, is likely to be pretty high if you are combining legally free music and the Myspace brand name.

I can't see any flaws so far, anyone else wish to comment?

Triple Zero

unless they do a complete rewrite of their core code it's going to be a usability and security trainwreck, seeing what currently makes up myspace. their code really, really, absolutely sucks.

apart from that, the business model seems like a fine plan, as far as i can judge, they're not entirely clear about the details yet.

also they said streaming is free, but "if they want to make it portable they can buy it", that's a bit odd. again one of those things you can only enforce by agreeing "you're not allowed to do that", because ultimately it doesn't matter one bit if the music "streams" to my computer or if it "downloads"--it's the same thing. because it completely depends on what the computer of the end-user does with the data, delete it or save it. and it's their computer, they have the right to reverse engineer and circumvent any software that prevents them from doing that. i could flip a button and stream the download or download the stream, it's the same bits going through the same tube, afterall.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Cain

Yeah, I sorta posted before really reading the second page, so I saw that as well.

However, their own security people have to know this is going to happen, and if there is no large amount of downloads, it may force them to consider the model I suggested more closely.

AFK

It's an interesting idea.  I'm not super tech-savy so I can't comment on that aspect.  But if it works the way it is described I think it'll be a good thing.  Of course it's going to be another nail in the coffin of Free Radio.  Radio was a great tool in its time to break artists and to get their music.  But the listener was confined to the playlist that the program managers drew up.  Now they can just point and click to whatever they want to hear.  It'll be good for artists too in that artists who typically don't get played on radio can get more listens.  But again, I don't know a whole helluva lot about the technology piece so it may be crap too. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Xooxe

Quote from: triple zero on April 18, 2008, 12:32:06 PM
unless they do a complete rewrite of their core code it's going to be a usability and security trainwreck, seeing what currently makes up myspace. their code really, really, absolutely sucks.

That's the first thing I thought as I read the article. I've never seen any of the code but you can feel it.

also they said streaming is free, but "if they want to make it portable they can buy it", that's a bit odd. again one of those things you can only enforce by agreeing "you're not allowed to do that", because ultimately it doesn't matter one bit if the music "streams" to my computer or if it "downloads"--it's the same thing. because it completely depends on what the computer of the end-user does with the data, delete it or save it. and it's their computer, they have the right to reverse engineer and circumvent any software that prevents them from doing that. i could flip a button and stream the download or download the stream, it's the same bits going through the same tube, afterall.

Currently on a myspace band profile, if you check the difference of quality between steamed and downloaded audio the downloads win out. I'm not sure entirely how it works but the streaming sucks.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Xooxe on April 18, 2008, 10:46:08 PM

That's the first thing I thought as I read the article. I've never seen any of the code but you can feel it.

well, the fact that the guys on sla.ckers.org (hackers forum) were playing "break the new myspace filter" as a sport and succeeded in finding about one XSS exploit every week last year, while the myspace ppl kept updating their filters, completely oblivious to the "right way" to do it, also kind of speaks for itself.

i'm not sure if they finally patched up their filters good, or if the hackers just got bored.

(about the "right way", there's some quite decent ways to protect from XSS but they were just plain dumb about it)

Politician168023

* Internet says everyone is an artist/author etc.

* Some bands have become famous through the internet alone and gone on to make millions....

* People love the big screen, something special about the cinema vs. youtube

Radiohead: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007/oct/02/digitalmedia.musicnews
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Rainbows#Sales_and_chart_placings

This message is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. I disclaim all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall I be liable for any damages of any kind.

Disclaimer appropriated from Microsoft Corporation.