News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

THE CANCER KILLING PDCOM - Blow-by-Blow Coverage of Democratic Primary Race

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, January 04, 2008, 06:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diseris

Quotetruly the best that the Dems could throw up against Bush
that the republicans could still beat.  Not the best candidate either in dem philosophy nor strategically.  The better proof is the utter lack of will to show the hilarity of Ohio and New Mexico by bringing the whole case to trial.

At least this time around, it will be really obvious to everyone that the election was stolen, but with the current supreme court line-up, the trial will be tabled at least until the new rep pres is inaugurated, and therefore untouchable.
You didn't enjoy it you never believed it there won't be a refund you'll never go back - TMBG

Cain

Quote from: Diseris on January 18, 2008, 03:38:50 PM
QuoteIt will turn the USA from a country with a functional, if fucked up economy into a third world country.  Your children will hope that one day someone will realize how fucked up this economic plan is.

Naw, look at the world stock markets, we won't be going down alone...

Thats fine.

I for one welcome our Russian and Indian overlords.

Diseris

QuoteI for one welcome our Russian and Indian overlords.

Black market thugs and religious zealots?  Not much change coming.
You didn't enjoy it you never believed it there won't be a refund you'll never go back - TMBG

Cain

Yeah, but they'll be black market thugs with hot dyevs and religious fundamentalists with decent food.

Even that beats our current system.

Diseris

Quotedecent food.

I just hope they bring some good curry to the NW.

Cain

I hope they bring it to my home town too.

We've already got an Indian, but we could sure as hell use decent food.  The Bangladeshi place here is awesome though, I must say.

Oh, and Obama is trying to show he can be fiscally in line with the Republicans.  Its kind of like Giuliani playing his socially liberal credentials, or Hillary 'pretending' to be a raging megalomaniac on foreign policy.  ie; doomed to failure in courting the opposition

Diseris

Quoteie; doomed to failure in courting the opposition
yes!  won't impress the opposition yet will alienate a block of his base that just won't show up to vote!  Its like a double vote for the Greedy Ole Party.

AFK

Quote from: hunter s.durden on January 18, 2008, 04:46:54 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 18, 2008, 03:45:23 PM
Anyone catch the interview he did where he praised Reagan and tried to paint himself as the Reagan Democrat?

Are you serious?
The Republican candidates are expected to show how "Reagan" they are, but a Dem?

He's doing it wrong.

It was the editorial board of some newspaper in Vegas.  Anyway basically what he said is that Reagan was the last president to have a meaningful impact on the direction of the country.  He even took a swipe at the Clintons by suggesting he did not have that kind of impact.  I think he's basically trying to secure the moderate Dems and independents by saying things like this. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cain

Well, Reagan said...

Do you know what Reagan did?

Reagan was the real identity of Captain America.

Reagan once opened a beer bottle with his ass-crack.

Reagan managed to defeat the Evil Empire and its homosexual-liberal allies amost single handedly (he once took a break for 5 minutes to have a piss, and Ollie North took over).

Reagan managed to bring down the Berlin Wall through the power of prayer (and a timely intervention by David Hasselhoff).

Even as we speak, Reagan and McCarthy are smiting liberals from the Heavens (copyright Ann Coulter @ her father's funeral).

Reagan actually shits apple pie and pisses coca-cola, he's so American.

[/every presidential candidate at every debate ever]

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I think I agree with the point in some sense. The Gipper does seem to be the last president we had that heavily impacted the direction of the country... for better or worse. GHWB  did nothing to heavily affect America (even his war was too lame to cause any major changes). The Clintons had an impact, but more an impact to the credibility of the job and the rise of unbridgeable partisan posturing, than on the future course of the nation.

Now all that being said... I would argue that W has probably affected this country for some years into the future. We won't know until later if his idiotic decisions will shape the politics of this nation, or if once he's gone it will fade like a bad dream. I hope for the latter and assume its the former ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cain

Well, it looks like the Neocon think tanks have picked the wrong people to side with in the elections, so far.  Some of their left-wing doppelgangers have got into the Clinton camp, but apart from that, they don't seem to be touching anyone with a chance of winning.  Then again, they're embedded enough in the Pentagon and NSC that they'll have influence for a fair few years yet.  And its not like they haven't been out in the cold before...it'll just make them even more bitter by the time they attach themselves to another President.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cain on January 18, 2008, 06:44:23 PM
Well, it looks like the Neocon think tanks have picked the wrong people to side with in the elections, so far.  Some of their left-wing doppelgangers have got into the Clinton camp, but apart from that, they don't seem to be touching anyone with a chance of winning.  Then again, they're embedded enough in the Pentagon and NSC that they'll have influence for a fair few years yet.  And its not like they haven't been out in the cold before...it'll just make them even more bitter by the time they attach themselves to another President.

Yeah, I'm really surprised they didn't take the chance to jump in bed with McCain's support of the surge. Maybe they figure McCain wouldn't do their bidding once he was in power though. So NC's are backing who, Rudy or Fred?
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Diseris

QuoteYeah, I'm really surprised they didn't take the chance to jump in bed with McCain's support of the surge. Maybe they figure McCain wouldn't do their bidding once he was in power though.

I suspect its part of framing McCain for the win.  He wouldn't have as much appeal to the 'common man' if he was the favored candidate of the money men nor if he was best buds with Dubya.  Without their overt support he has managed to become the underdog and even labeled as a come-back kid, both favorite candy flavors here in the US.

The only hope I hold is that he'll have enough bitter left in him from his earlier defeats to not do the bidding of the power brokers and spite them.

East Coast Hustle

heh.

there's a good chance that we'll have TWO brokered conventions this year.

there'll have to be a new word invented because "sleazy" won't do this justice.

although it may provide an inadvertent glimpse of some of the REAL power brokers.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

Quote from: Ratatosk on January 18, 2008, 08:41:46 PM
Quote from: Cain on January 18, 2008, 06:44:23 PM

Yeah, I'm really surprised they didn't take the chance to jump in bed with McCain's support of the surge. Maybe they figure McCain wouldn't do their bidding once he was in power though. So NC's are backing who, Rudy or Fred?

They were clustering around Rudy.  Some of the biggest names, like Norman Podhoretz, were on his foreign policy team.

That said, I don't know where many of the new generation NeoCons (like Eliot Abrams son, and one of the masterminds behind Facebook) stand, and I've been trying to find out for a while.  These guys are potentially much smarter than the current crop, and alot quieter.  Many of them are technocratic, "neolibertarian" fantasists though, and so they might be able to slip through the cracks into the campaigns of someone like McCain, whose moderate views on domestic affairs would not be a problem.  They often mimic the language of moderate conservatives too, at least until foreign policy is mentioned, where they turn into frothing maniacs, so it may be harder to pick them out, especially among newer faces in politics.

Quoteheh.

there's a good chance that we'll have TWO brokered conventions this year.

there'll have to be a new word invented because "sleazy" won't do this justice.

It looks like the media already have the playbook, at least for the Dems.  Remember Iowa?  They managed to turn that into an Obama/Hillary issue even though Edwards came second.  The press have also been urging Huckabee to get into some vicious fights with Romney and smear his campaign, smearing Huckabee when he didn't play by the rules set down, cheering him on when he did as they want.  Similar stuff has happened with Hillary/Obama, though Clinton's own nasty rumours campaign hardly needs any more urging on.  Some of it is obviously usual election hysteria = sales thinking, but some of it is the creation of rivalries in order to promote two-horse races in each party, and so control the outcome.