THE CANCER KILLING PDCOM - Blow-by-Blow Coverage of Democratic Primary Race

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, January 04, 2008, 06:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diseris

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 31, 2008, 04:08:55 PM
Eh, I don't think either the Libertarian or Green parties will ever have any significant play in American politics outside of the odd-ball state like mine.  Third-party candidates, no matter the party, are always little more than a novelty when it comes right down to it.  Even Bloombers would've been relegated to that same status.  It's going to take a really convincing, charismatic, and engaging figure as a third-party candidate to make any headway in that respect. 

Has got to be true, as there doesn't seem to be any amount of overt criminal activity that will deter voters from picking the main parties.
You didn't enjoy it you never believed it there won't be a refund you'll never go back - TMBG

Cramulus

A third party has never won the presidency

but numerous times in American history, a third party has become a second party

I mean - the Dems were formed to fight the federalists

Most of the original Republican were dropouts from the Whig party (which believed Congress should be stronger than the executive branch - lol). They rode anti-slavery to the white house and were only really "legitimate" post-Lincoln.

My prophecy:
The Dems/Repubs disagree on principle. Even compromise doesn't necessarily lead to the best answer for many things. Eventually there's gonna be an issue which neither of them can solve, and a third party is going to have a better solution. If the issue is big enough, and the Dem/Repub candidates are disliked enough, some third party will ride all the way to the white house. Sadly, this may not happen in our lifetimes.

Cain

The problem already exists.  Its called, in economic parlance, taking on more responsibilities than one has resources to deal with, and it will involve the US economy getting hammered into the ground.

Kind of like what is happening now.

The 'solution' is privatization.  Of everything.

It will be bad.  It will result in much death and misery.  It will destroy the USA as you know it. It will result in the unstoppable rise of corporations like KBR, Blackwater, Monsanto and DuPont as political power holders.  But it will also solve the economic crisis that is looming, by forcing the government, or what will be left of it, to drop all of its outstanding responsibilities and concentrate economic power purely in the hands of the market.

http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/globalguerrillas//USA%20Inc_3.pdf for an idea of what it might look like.

tyrannosaurus vex

They are adept at burying all such issues. But, honestly, I think the GOP is as close to death as it has ever been.  All it would take to kill off the party is a landslide loss in both Congressional and Presidential elections, to the point that they can't even filibuster Democratic moves. Things like that have happened but only when the party in question rides an incredibly unpopular position on a big issue all the way to oblivion -- party suicide. When a third party has a better solution, most often that solution is absorbed by one of the major parties.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

AFK

As long as both Fox News and MSNBC are on the air it won't happen.  The left/right polarization is being sold to the American public on a daily basis and they are eating it up.  Maybe when we're in the throes of Global Climate meltdown, but even then, there are probably enough Republicans like McCain who actually believe in manmade Global Warming, that the party would still survive.  I'm very doubtful about ever seeing another viable party besides the Dems and Repubs in my lifetime. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

AFK

So, after hearing Obama and Hillary last night about their plans to withdraw from Iraq, if elected, I am fully convinced that in fact neither one will actually withdraw from Iraq.  Hillary, in particular.  When I hear "We will "carefully and cautiously" remove our presence from Iraq", that to me says if they actually go ahead and get out of Iraq it's going to take a long, long time.  Especially if even one commander or General says they shouldn't leave.  They're selling the same BS the Dems were selling in 06 about changing the course in Iraq. 

LMNO

AFK

Anyone catch Bill Clinton throwing Ted Kennedy under the bus yesterday.  Of course he was technically correct when he talked about how Kennedy and Bush masterminded the No Child Left Behind debacle.  But you know it's because he's pissed-off that he (Kennedy) endorsed Obama and not Hillary.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on February 01, 2008, 03:35:00 PM
Anyone catch Bill Clinton throwing Ted Kennedy under the bus yesterday.  Of course he was technically correct when he talked about how Kennedy and Bush masterminded the No Child Left Behind debacle.  But you know it's because he's pissed-off that he (Kennedy) endorsed Obama and not Hillary.

Lol, its fun to watch them act like kids... and he's young enough that we'll have to put up with him every four years for the next 40. LOL
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cain

I reckon Bill Clinton has a secret plan to legalize gay marriage.  Think about it.  There aren't that many women in politics that are well known, and not many good looking ones either.  And he can't run for President by himself again.  So if Clinton were to marry Obama as a matter of political expedience....well...could be the next Presidency after Hillary's sorted out. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

Well, I'm 0 for 2 this weekend.  Not only did the Pats lie down like a rug, but Ron Paul infact did not end up winning the Maine Republican Caucuses.  Romney ended up winning.  Some individual counties did vote for Paul, in fact Aroostook County, where I am from originally, overwhelmingly voted for Paul.  In fact, my two younger brothers were designated as delegates, and since there is no mandate that they vote the same way as all the other delegates, I can safely say Paul will be getting at least two delegate votes. 

Cain

OMG ITS A CONSPIRACY, WE MUST HAVE AN ARMED REVOLT AGAINST THE GOVERNMENT!