News:

News:  0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765 10946 17711 28657, motherfuckers.

Main Menu

Just throw it in a pot... how hard is that?

Started by LMNO, February 25, 2008, 02:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Mrs. LMNO has a family recipe for "Spanish Rice" that I'ev been tweaking.

In actuality, there's nothing very "Spanish" about it, so I suppose it should be called "Inappropriate Cultural Touchstone Rice".

Anyway, I don't really have amounts for it, I'm doing it by feel (Mrs. LMNO calls it my "alchemy".  I lurves dat woman).

In a lagre pot/duch oven, Brown some ground meat (about a pound) in bacon fat over medium heat.  Remove.

Over low heat, add more bacon fat and sweat chopped onions, garlic, and hot pepper (jalepeno, serrano, habanero, whatever you like). 

add salt, cumin, chili powder, cajun seasonings... you get the idea.  sweat until soft, and the spices have sort of crusted on the bottom of the pan.

Deglaze the fond with red wine.  cook almost all of the liquid out.  what you should be looking at is a goopy dark mess of vegetables.

Add about a cup of uncooked rice, and cook for about 5 minutes.  return meat to pot.

Add 2.5 cups of stock, turn heat up. 

Add a bay leaf, oregano, and approx 2 lb of canned fire-roasted tomatoes.

Add worcestershire (sp) sauce.  bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for an hour.

add green beans chopped 1" long, and lime juice.  Cover and cook another 10 minutes.

serve with cilantro, and any additional hot sauce.

Darth Cupcake

Oooh. This sounds like something I can make and then put in tupperwares to have for lunch or dinner for like a week. Nice! 8)
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Triple Zero

this sounds awesome, i'm gonna make something like this.
in fact, as soon as i can find some cheap hot peppers somewhere. and cilantro and cajun spices.

also, if you worry about not staying thin, you might wanna sub the bacon fat with olive oil? and less of it? surely it will be less good, but you don't need food soaked in bacon fat every week, do you? :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Richter

000 : Agreed on the olive oil.  I'm thinking that ground turkey might not work out badly with it either.
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

LMNO

Lol, I usually use ground turkey, actually.

And if you notice, I don't say how much fat to use.  And hey, you can adjust this however you want.

Richter

I'm giving it a go.  It's simmering, and my great pics of ingredients chopped next to my knives got borked.  Drink count is currnetly 3.  Here's the early cooking pic:

Edit: Gaze upon my equipment. 

Edit 2: Finished.  Damn tasty!

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Richter

They were a last minute sub in since the grocery had no fresh green beans, but the extra sweetness was not out of place. 
I'll be tweaking and trying this again, possibly to throw at the family.  Thanks for the recipe!

Mistakes I made:
- 1/4 cup of olive oil will do the trick.  I had a bit extra that wasn't vital to the cooking / flavor. 
- I cut back to 1 lb of tomatoes, not knowing how good the fire roasted ones were.  2 lbs. at least next time.
- Seeing the alchoholic steam during deglazing and deciding to "take a hit" was NOT smart.
- Little less garlic.  Tasting it is good.  Secreting it is bad.
- Remember the cumin.

Richter

LMNO

1/4 cup Olive oil?

Fuck, man.

A couple of tablespoons, at most.

LMNO
-sees greasy shits in your future.

Richter

Decided to go overkill to keep the meat from sticking to the pot.  I'm honestly not sure which measure I used :eek:

Jenne

Love one-pot meals!  Will be doing this in the near fucking future.  Awesome recipe, LMNO!

Dysfunctional Cunt

OK.  I made it for me and the kids. 

Subbed olive oil for bacon and used cubed chicken, not ground beef.

Instead of wine, I used tequila and I roasted my own tomatoes and peppers. 

Last sub was yellow rice because all else I had was jasmine rice.

Served it with warm tortillas, shredded cheese and sliced roasted peppers on top.

I got one little bowl, when I went back for more the little piggies had eaten the rest!

Thanks for the recipe!!!

ETF - I cannot type worth crap!