News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

Technological Revolution

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, April 21, 2008, 04:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

- Agricultural Revolution
- Industrial Revolution
- Information Revolution
(possibly others)

Poking around in the history of human society, albeit superficially, it appears that the advent of each new "phase" of technology brings widespread (not necessarily simultaneous) upheavals in the makeup of civilization. Few civilizations (if any) have survived such a revolution without a fundamental transformation in class structure and/or governmental character. Each phase has far-reaching event waves that are not immediately recognized as being directly related to the technological revolution, but in hindsight are viewed as practically unavoidable consequences of a basic shift toward new social and cultural priorities.

It appears that the Industrial Revolution caused the American Civil War, the dismemberment of the British Empire, and at least one World War. Changes in the balance of trade due to changes in which goods are in highest demand lead to national and international instability, and eventually to war. Changes in a nation's (or an empire's) mechanisms for producing and consuming these goods, which form the basis of the class structure, lead to the dissolution of old loyalties and alliances. This in turn can call into question a nation's reasons for remaining a unified society at all.

I believe that the global society is in the midst of an Information Revolution, which will prove to be at least as significant as the Industrial Revolution, and maybe even as historically important as the Agricultural Revolution. We already see the beginning of a realignment in social priorities in those nations most directly effected by the digital world. And, because of the groundwork laid by the Industrial Revolution and its technological children, the Information Revolution promises to take root far more quickly than any previous technological revolution -- it even comes at a time when the Industrial Revolution has yet to fully grasp the entire planet.

The implications of this are that some of the stress we see forming cracks in societies throughout the planet may not simply be a continuation of humanity's penchant for fucking itself. It may be that we are heading into another technological revolution, but this time with the foresight to realize what is happening being far more widespread than in previous such revolutions. And with the already accelerated pace of this one, it could be that we may see very fundamental changes taking place in governments and economies not only within our lifetimes but within the fairly immediate future. At this point I would not be totally surprised to see the complete collapse or overthrow of one or more major Western governments in the next thirty years.

The coming Weird Times may not be something TGRR just pulled out of his ass, after all.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

e

Quote from: vexati0n on April 21, 2008, 04:40:21 PM
It appears that the Industrial Revolution caused the American Civil War, the dismemberment of the British Empire, and at least one World War.

It may have been a cause, but it certainly wasn't the cause.  It's all just stuff, you know?  Stuff happens.

Cramulus

I'd buy it. I believe that humanity is not prepared for the weird and cool changes that will be taking place as information becomes more ubiquitous.

One prediction I want to make is that the group called Anonymous is not going to be alone soon. People will belong to large motivated hiveminds, and will have anonyminity through sheer numbers. These "mastermind groups" (as its called in the Art of Memetics) will have to be seriously addressed, as they will be capable of doing and accomplishing things that individuals cannot. Furthermore, under the veil of alleged anonyminity, most individuals will be divorced of bearing responsibility for the group's actions.

If Anonymous is classified as a terrorist entity, who are they going to arrest?

These questions will come up soon. Mark my words.

oh wait I already did.

AFK

Another constant of these revolutions is that it brings disparate populations and cultures closer and closer together.  Way back in the stone days it was nigh impossible for a caveman in what is now Asia to cross paths with a caveman in what is now Mexico.  The agricultural revolution spurred trade which lead to different peoples crossing paths, the industrial revolution begat the technology that allowed for this crossing of paths to happen quicker and more often.  The information revolution has made it more rapid and easier still. 

As cultures become closer, so do our grids.  They become overlayed on one another, and it becomes much easier to pick out those who are different from us, and more imporantly, those that are "bad-different" from us.  So while technological advances bring much good to the human condition, it seems to egg on, or at least be accompanied by, more bad-blood. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on April 21, 2008, 08:17:33 PMAnother constant of these revolutions is that it brings disparate populations and cultures closer and closer together.  Way back in the stone days it was nigh impossible for a caveman in what is now Asia to cross paths with a caveman in what is now Mexico.  The agricultural revolution spurred trade which lead to different peoples crossing paths, the industrial revolution begat the technology that allowed for this crossing of paths to happen quicker and more often.  The information revolution has made it more rapid and easier still. 

reminds me of my best friend who's moving to Amsterdam. he said he would travel the distance by foot (just himself, not his belongings, of course). Calculating a bit, we figured out it would take roughly eight days of 5-6 hours hiking (pretty much the max you can walk a day, if you're not used to it) ... suddenly my country didn't seem that small at all anymore.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Requia ☣

I don't think the second industrial revolution was as much a cause of the civil war as it was a cause for the centralization of government.  Of course, reaction to centralization of government was a big cause of the civil war.

The changes the big technological paradigm shifts cause can have effects far after the technology comes along as well.  Feminism is only possible because of the second industrial revolution, but it took over a hundred years for this to be felt full swing in the US, and large chunks of the country still resist it.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

The Good Reverend Roger

Bollocks.  The civil war began because Jefferson Davis and his cronies wanted to set up a permanent aristocracy, and they convinced the yahoos to go along with it.

Fuck 'em.  Sherman didn't give them HALF the kicking around they deserved.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Requia ☣

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 22, 2008, 02:02:13 AM
Bollocks.  The civil war began because Jefferson Davis and his cronies wanted to set up a permanent aristocracy, and they convinced the yahoos to go along with it.

Agreed, on both points, but it was hardly the only cause.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requiem on April 22, 2008, 02:11:20 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 22, 2008, 02:02:13 AM

Agreed, on both points, but it was hardly the only cause.

The "cause" was the shot fired at Ft Sumter. 

Everything else was an "excuse".

"Look what YOU made me do."
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Payne

Quote from: vexati0n on April 21, 2008, 04:40:21 PM

It appears that the Industrial Revolution caused the American Civil War, the dismemberment of the British Empire, and at least one World War. Changes in the balance of trade due to changes in which goods are in highest demand lead to national and international instability, and eventually to war. Changes in a nation's (or an empire's) mechanisms for producing and consuming these goods, which form the basis of the class structure, lead to the dissolution of old loyalties and alliances. This in turn can call into question a nation's reasons for remaining a unified society at all.

The industrial revolution took place before and during the establishment of the British Empire, commonly noted as being between 1750 and 1850. Whilst Britain certainly had some overseas colonies before this time, the Industrial Revolution was the driving force behind British Imperialism, not the cause of it's demise.

Also, my belief is that WWI was in large part caused by A) the newly unified nations of Germany themselves wanting an empire B) Paranoia about this new major power in the centre of Europe and C) various foreign policies of European powers being designed to promote political stability in Europe through complex alliances.

WWII can often be looked at as WWI part II, as it was largely the same war, fought for the same reasons, with roughly the same protaganists.

WWI and II was what caused the British Empire to collapse, incidentaly. Britain was weakened and battered, fucked economically, and had to find some way to repay it's debt to colonial forces.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Payne on April 22, 2008, 02:20:01 AM

The industrial revolution took place before and during the establishment of the British Empire, commonly noted as being between 1750 and 1850. Whilst Britain certainly had some overseas colonies before this time, the Industrial Revolution was the driving force behind British Imperialism, not the cause of it's demise.

The second industrial revolution didn't start until the mid 19th century (source, wikipedia), which puts it after the British colonial expansion by your timeline.  (I know jack all about when the british took over a given territory).

Payne

Quote from: Requiem on April 22, 2008, 02:31:25 AM
Quote from: Payne on April 22, 2008, 02:20:01 AM

The second industrial revolution didn't start until the mid 19th century (source, wikipedia), which puts it after the British colonial expansion by your timeline.  (I know jack all about when the british took over a given territory).

According to the above post, it wouldn't make a difference WHICH industrial revolution it was. The "first" industrial revolution was the important one, anyway. It's what gave Britain a vital technological edge. and in any case, any technological revolution would have a similar effect.

Really though the British Empire can be traced back to the 1500's and up to about 1950. There was a somewhat "fallow" period as the effect of industrialisation was absorbed by Britain, with various wars being fought against France in this time (1750 to 1850), until a virtual stalemate in mainland Europe forced the European powers to look abroad for goods, land and labour. Britain was ultimately more successful at this BECAUSE it had the edge in the industrial revolution.

Requia ☣

The second is actually a really big deal, since it represents a move away from agrarian society (again, a change that is still ongoing), imporvements in medicine, and access to better transportation.

Payne

Quote from: Requiem on April 22, 2008, 03:09:18 AM
The second is actually a really big deal, since it represents a move away from agrarian society (again, a change that is still ongoing), imporvements in medicine, and access to better transportation.

A big deal, yes, but not as important as the first one in terms of the British revolutions. It was a bigger step forward, but Britain had an advantage, as it was already in front, because of the first one.

In reality, the agricultural revolution did start during the first industrial revolution. Improvements in farming methods and transport, combined with a better quality of life in the cities made many people leave rural areas for the cities. This caused a great change in social structures in all indrustrialising countries, which was "relieved" by recruitment into the army, or the newly emerging industrial workforce. As technology advanced, it became necessary to expand economically to fund it, hence the urge towards Empire, and the inevitable conflict between vying emergent powers.

The "Second" industrial revolution did indeed advance knowledge much further than any previous revolution, and by much more, it included amongst other things, mechanisation, engines, electricity, great advances in  all the sciences, and a number of new political ideologies. The progress of the second revolution was dependent on the first, however. If you hadn't completed the first stage, you were lost trying to keep up with the second,

Cain

WWI was caused because every nation involved thought they were the dog's bollocks and having an empire was a sign of being part of the Big Boys club.

Empire is no longer useful because it costs too much (trickle down effect of firearms and nationalism) and because now, having nukes and being heavily integrated into the world economy is what get's you into the Big Boys club.

Just saying.

I'll return to the OP later.