News:

PD.com: our ability to recall your stupidity makes elephants look like Alzheimer's patients.

Main Menu

pasta della california

Started by Darth Cupcake, May 21, 2008, 03:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

Quote from: LMNO on May 22, 2008, 05:52:48 PM
Sucky knives are the suck.  You should spend the $$$ for at least one decent chef's knife, even if it is only a Wusthoff.

Once in awhile you say these thigns I can only agree with.
I've been known to bring my own knives to other people's houses to make sure I have sharp tools to prep food with.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Suu

Everything Chicago is just seared on the outside...everything with spinach is Florentine...
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on May 22, 2008, 06:17:18 PM
Quote from: Squid on May 22, 2008, 06:05:07 PM
Quote from: Darth Cupcake on May 22, 2008, 05:47:02 PM
Quote from: LMNO on May 22, 2008, 05:40:46 PM
I crush the clove with the flat side, and then run the knife through.  What's the problem?

I am incompetent. :oops:

Also, sucky knives.

try coffee
also: i had a shitty farberware santoku and it served me well until i got a better one.
for 10 bucks.. what can ya say, as long as you keep it sharp and clean it, it gets the job done.
~waiting for ECH to slap me with a glove~

Not in the vocabulary of the roomie, particularly the clean part. :lol:

keep it in your sock drawer, next to your gun (if you own one)
it won't be touched.

Triple Zero

i don't quite agree with boiling the rucola, but otherwise it sounds pretty damn tasty!

now i gotta make something with avocado.

also, if you are really lazy with garlic, get freeze-dried garlic bits. they keep the sharp garlic flavour much better than a jar of pureed garlic, or powder.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jenne

I too use my garlic press when I'm pressed for time (sorry, no other analogy would do).  However, I will chop and mince at will if the notion takes me. 

Our knives kick ass...my mom has Wusthof, but we have their rival, Henckels.

Triple Zero

so i made this recipe, but i left out the white wine and the rucola because i forgot, and i was really skeptical about how it turned out because it looked weird, but then it was really really good!
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Triple Zero

i made this again. it was good, again.

this time i used wine and rucola. i'm still not entirely sure about cooking the rucola :-P but my guest said it did add an interesting (good) flavour.

also i found i modified the recipe slightly both times because i wondered how you were cooking the broccoli (i didnt see that you put it on top of the pasta during the last minutes of boiling--interesting idea), so i just threw the broccoli into the pan after cooking the chilli + garlic + stock + wine, so it would also cook properly.

but i think your way is better, because the broccoli turned slightly yellow.

i wanted to make a picture, but i forgot. and i don't suppose you're very interested in what the leftovers in the pan look like the next day (i forgot to put it in the fridge .. :) )

Darth Cupcake

Yeah, the arugula is the one thing that I tend to think is unnecessary in the recipe, but I think it's mostly there to add a little more color and texture, as well as some more nutritional value.

What I liked about throwing the broccoli in during the last minute or so of boiling is that it cooks through, but still stays pretty crunchy and tasty. I like my broccoli a lil crunchy. :)
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Ok, I changed it around a bit....  My daughter absolutely hates broccolli.

I used yellow and zuchini squash which I did a quick swirl around the pan before I added the wine. 

I also added a bit of minced green onion, just a touch.

When I plated it, I added a bit of cilantro to garnish.  It sets off the avacado so well.

Kids ate every bit of it. 

Darth Cupcake

Ooh, the green onion sounds like a great idea!

-DC
Thinks onion can go in just about anything
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on June 12, 2008, 07:06:41 PM
Ooh, the green onion sounds like a great idea!

-DC
Thinks onion can go in just about anything

I agree, especially when there is garlic involved!

Jenne

I have to say I'm rediscovering the green onion--hadn't used them for a while until Sunday, and I've been using them a lot ever since.