News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "In other words, Discordianism, like postmodernism, means never having to say your sorry."

Main Menu

ATTN: everyone who eats in restaurants

Started by East Coast Hustle, June 26, 2008, 03:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: LMNO on July 07, 2008, 08:13:45 PM
What I got from the OP was entirely different:

In a decent restaraunt (no, Chili's doesn't count), a good amount of time is spent by the chef in designing a sauce that both compliments and elevates the dish it is paired with.  The dish is the sum of it's parts, and that is the way the food is intended to be served.

To ask for the sauce on the side is like asking Van Gogh to scrape away some of the excess paint that's built up on the canvas; sure, the overall picture won't change very much, but the subtlety is ruined.

Of course, it's fairly obvious that the majority of people posting in this thread have never had a meal where the entree wasn't over $12.99, so I can't expect most of you to understand this.

Good point. I suppose I should have said that the issue that was forcibly put at hand by irate people ITT was the issue of asking grumpy, overworked cooks to change their routine.

The issue presented in the OP, however, is more akin to what you say here.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on July 07, 2008, 06:36:53 PM
Wait, what does food allergies have to do with asking for your sauce on the side?

If there's any kind of attitude about doing ANYthing custom with the dish, it's not a safe place to eat.

Also, sometimes my friend orders whatever she's allergic to on the side so me or her boyfriend can have it. The chef doesn't know why someone orders the sauce on the side.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

In a decent restaraunt (no, Chili's doesn't count), a good amount of time is spent by the chef in designing a sauce that both compliments and elevates the dish it is paired with.  The dish is the sum of it's parts, and that is the way the food is intended to be served.

To ask for the sauce on the side is like asking Van Gogh to scrape away some of the excess paint that's built up on the canvas; sure, the overall picture won't change very much, but the subtlety is ruined.

Of course, it's fairly obvious that the majority of people posting in this thread have never had a meal where the entree wasn't over $12.99, so I can't expect most of you to understand this.

Where do you get food where the entree is under $13? A burrito cart?

I don't give a flying fuck if the chef thinks his sublime creation is a work of goddamn epic art, nor does it matter how much I paid for it; in the end I'm going to shit it out anyway.

I have eaten at many restaurants where I felt the food was truly gorgeous in every possible way. I have also eaten at many restaurants where something is too salty, too bland, overseasoned, heavy on the rosemary, whatever. I have also eaten at restaurants where some of my party loved something just as it was, and others felt it needed improvement.

You can't cook to everyone's tastes and needs. You just can't. I realize that chefs have a lot of ego wrapped up in their creations, and that's a positive thing on one angle, but if it gives them an attitude when it comes to accommodating the needs and preferences of individual customers, maybe they need to switch to designing recipes for frozen food.

A restaurant where I pick up on a bad attitude is one I won't eat at again, or recommend to friends.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anch

To stay in the simile, Van Gogh sold one picture in his lifetime. He did not paint to make money.
Chefs, I assume, do want to make money(if only to survive).

Don't misinterprete that, I understand that sometimes the stupidity and lack of finesse of customers stresses the fuck out of people who love what they do; happens to me often enough.  :argh!:

But, seriously, what do you care if they are a bunch of sauce-on-the-side-loving freaks (for whatever reasons)? They are happy, you get paid, and you know that they are missing out the full enjoyment you could have provided.

I just assume that people who are willing to pay a lot of money to eat at a good restaurant either know anyway that the sauce belongs where the chef wants it to ( and have a good reason for ordering on the side ), or are just there to burn some money and probably wouldn't taste the difference anyway.

help I'm trapped in a online-personality-machine and can't escargh

Triple Zero

this was pretty much exactly my point in my first post, ITT.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

What if I ask for extra sauce on the side? 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Darth Cupcake

HEATHEN :argh!:

MY GOD DISCORDIANS ARE DISAGREEING WITH EACH OTHER LEFT AND RIGHT ON THIS FUCKING BOARD

WHAT THE FUCK IS THE WORLD COMING TO

FUCK
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Here's what really burns me

it's when I make some beads, and some FUCKWAD has the UNTHINKABLE AUDACITY to email me and ask for similar beads IN A DIFFERENT COLOR. I made them in that color because I am the ARTIST and THAT IS the COLOR THEY LOOK BEST IN, fucking mouthbreathing FUCKTARDS! The next time some UNDISCRIMINATING ASSHOLE asks me to make similar beads in a different color I am going to fly to where they live, cut them a second asshole, and JAM THE MOTHERFUCKING BEADS INTO THEIR BLEEDING COLON. I hope they enjoy them.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Actually, having said that, I do fully support ECH's use of this board to vent about frustrations he can't really vent at work. I do not mean to say that I don't think this is a good place to blow off steam; quite the contrary. Vent away, ECH; I assume you do it here because you really CAN'T do it in the kitchen, and I appreciate that.

Motherfucking sauce on the side wanting bitches.

Sir Squid Diddimus

QuoteOf course, it's fairly obvious that the majority of people posting in this thread have never had a meal where the entree wasn't over $12.99, so I can't expect most of you to understand this.

dude hey whoa.
what?

you're talking to someone who chose to go to new york for her honeymoon mostly because mario batali and masaharu morimoto have restaurants there.

i may live in a podunk town with no culture other than the bacterial kind, but i have tastebuds.
i wouldn't ask the chef at either of those places to change a damn thing on the plate, but i know good food man.

ps- this statement sounds like a defensive bitch rant but it's not intended that way

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think he was saying we all snobs who never et no po' food.

Not totally sure, but that's what I THINK he meant.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I mean that in a positive way, not a derogatory way

I mean, look at me.

LMNO

It's amazing that even when you explicitly use E-Prime, there will be at least one person who thinks "some" means "all," or "you".

In this case, one of each.

Cainad (dec.)

LMNO, WHY ARE YUO TRYING TO BE RATATOSK? HE'S BETTER AT IT.

QuoteOf course, it's fairly obvious that the majority of people posting in this thread have never had a meal where the entree wasn't over $12.99, so I can't expect most of you to understand this.

Where's your E-Prime now, mofo?! I'm seeing absolutes and conjugations of the verb "to be" in there.

Cainad,
Obnoxious little twit