News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

Philosopher of the Week

Started by Cain, August 10, 2008, 04:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am actually not interested in philosophy at all, but it's a good thread.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dr Goofy

I like philosophy but have not gone through the thread... and I don't know many philosphers

That One Guy

While I'm definitely interested in this, I understand that it's a ton of work for little return on Cain's part. I definitely appreciate the effort - I just wish I would've had the time to actually dive in with all of this rather than only glance. Maybe a format change is in order. Rather than typing up a huge summation for each philosopher, maybe just toss up a link to the Wiki and "the big piece" of their writing and leave it to anyone interested to discuss.

Using that format, it doesn't need to be Cain that organizes it - it could be anyone choosing the philosopher and posting the appropriate links. Admittedly it's helpful to have someone steering the discussion that has some knowledge of the philosopher in question, but that's essentially burdening Cain to run an Intro to Philosophy class, something it's doubtful he has time for and would in other circumstances expect (rightly) to be paid for his efforts by the attendees.

For example:

This week's Philosopher is ...

Immanuel Kant!

QuoteImmanuel Kant (IPA: [ɪmanuəl kant]; 22 April 1724 – 12 February 1804) was an 18th-century German philosopher from the Prussian city of Königsberg (now Kaliningrad, Russia). He is regarded as one of the most influential thinkers of modern Europe and of the late Enlightenment.

His most important work is the Critique of Pure Reason, a critical investigation of reason itself. It encompasses an attack on traditional metaphysics and epistemology, and highlights Kant's own contribution to these areas. The other main works of his maturity are the Critique of Practical Reason, which concentrates on ethics, and the Critique of Judgement, which investigates aesthetics and teleology.

And from there, anyone interested would take a bit to read the referred works and start a discussion themselves with anyone else interested. If that doesn't end up getting anything going, so be it. At least no one busted ass for little to no return with that format  :mrgreen:
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

Requia ☣

Didn't Kant decide :fap: is unethical because there was no reason to do it?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Requiem on October 12, 2008, 12:16:11 AM
That's bullshit!  I can think of at least a dozen reasons to  :fap:.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Jasper

Kant was a pointless little dork who never deserved the amount of attention he got.

Requia ☣

Bah, completely untrue.  Do you have any idea how effective Kant is at curing insomnia?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Cain

Quote from: Felix on October 12, 2008, 07:37:01 PM

Kant was a pointless little dork who never deserved the amount of attention he got.

Um yeah.

You're an idiot.

Jasper

Quote from: Cain on October 13, 2008, 01:14:10 PM
Quote from: Felix on October 12, 2008, 07:37:01 PM

Um yeah.

You're an idiot.

Cool, we goanna debate Deontology now?

LMNO

Ok, wait.

Why was he a pointless jerk?  I've only read a few pages of his, but (dense as they were) they seemed to make some sense.

Jasper

As with many philosophers, I've agreed with a couple points, but when he tries to expand on them to make a whole worldview from them, they cease to hold up.

For instance, I agree with him that it is immoral to treat others as means.  I disagree with the entire basis of deontology, despite that he uses the idea I agree with to support it.

LMNO

Ok, I'm not familiar with the concept of Deontology.

Spill it.

Jasper

It's "an approach to ethics that focuses on the rightness or wrongness of actions themselves, as opposed to the rightness or wrongness of the consequences of those actions."

~Wiki

LMNO

You mean, "I meant well, so I'm not to blame"?

Jasper

Quote from: LMNO on October 13, 2008, 08:28:45 PM
You mean, "I meant well, so I'm not to blame"?

That's the essential perspective of the Deontological ethicist, yes.  EDIT:  Obviously it may be a bit of an oversimplification.

Conversely, Teleological ethicality is dependent on the outcomes of our decisions.  An action is in itself ethical if the outcome is valued as ethical.