News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

Cooking with LMNO

Started by LMNO, October 08, 2008, 01:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dysfunctional Cunt

This is the BEST thread!!! 

:mittens:

LMNO

It should now be painfully obvious that 90% of the time, I only use about 5 different ingredients.

BADGE OF HONOR

John Bellairs?  I remember reading that when I was like 10.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

LMNO

I know; a friend of mine found a whole stack of that one book in a store, and gave it out as Xmas presents.

I started freaking out because in grade school, I read that book obsessively, and had completely forgotten about it.  ANd what do I find when I re-read it, 30 years or so later?

THERE'S A FUCKING CHAOS MAGIC RITUAL EMPLOYED AS THE FALLING ACTION!

Yet another piece in the puzzle of why I ended up a Discordian.

Suu

Quote from: LMNO on December 30, 2008, 03:44:27 PM
It should now be painfully obvious that 90% of the time, I only use about 5 different ingredients.

Yeah but those are like the staple seasonings for any meal though. I asked my brother, and he agreed. I'm sure ECH will as well.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Dysfunctional Cunt

LMNO - I am planning on taking your kale soup recipe and making a bastardized Hoppin John Soup for New Years dinner, any suggestions on spice changes?

I'm using pork for the chicken and black eyed peas for the white beans....... 

LMNO

You could probably up the heat content with some chipotle, or a generic "cajun" spice mix.*

Definatley get some brown on the pork when you sear it.  And depending on the cut, you may need to braise the pork for longer.

You may need some more liquid for the beans.  I haven't used BEP very much, so I can't be sure. 

*Or make your own with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, oregano, thyme, black pepper.

Kai

Quote from: LMNO on December 30, 2008, 03:01:31 PM
Worcestershire sauce would work, too.  Or any savory sort of add-on.  Maybe even mushrooms.

cool I'll try it sometime
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: LMNO on December 31, 2008, 05:11:52 PM
You could probably up the heat content with some chipotle, or a generic "cajun" spice mix.*

Definatley get some brown on the pork when you sear it.  And depending on the cut, you may need to braise the pork for longer.

You may need some more liquid for the beans.  I haven't used BEP very much, so I can't be sure. 

*Or make your own with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, oregano, thyme, black pepper.

I have some dried chipotle.  I was actually leaning towards a bit of roasted habenero, garlic, onion, thyme and adding rosemary and leaving the cumin out completely. 

I figured the pork would take longer.

Thanks!!!

LMNO

That'll work too.

Good luck!  Take pictures!

LMNO

It's time, my friends, for a little Red Beans and Rice.

First things first, you gotta get your meat: Smoked ham hocks, Virginia ham, Andoullie sausage, and Kielbasa. 

Then, we need what They call "trinity": onions, bell peppers, and celery.

Let's not forget your spices (shown – paprika, cayenne, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, oregano.  Not shown: bay leaf, salt):

I don't think we've got enough kinds of pork being represented, so let's bring it up to Five, and sauté the trinity in bacon fat.

You don't think I'd forget the garlic, do you?  Don't skimp.

When veggies are soft, dump in the diced meat.

Cook for about 5 minutes, and then add the hocks.

Season the mix with your spices, to taste.  Please note that the thyme and cayenne go a long way, but you can go a bit heavier with the other stuff.

Dump in some red wine, & deglaze.

Add 3 cans of Red Kindey beans, and enough stock to cover the meat, and simmer uncovered for an hour.

After an hour, remove the hocks, and pick the meat off.  Return both meat and picked hocks to the pot.  Continue to simmer uncovered for another hour.  If you want the mixture to be thicker, smash the beans against the side of the pot.  The starch and proteins from the smashed beans will thicken it up very easily.

You remembered to make rice, right?

Serve with some chopped parsley or cilantro on top.  Hot sauce to taste.

East Coast Hustle

you should be ashamed of yourself.

you forgot the tasso.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Suu

I love love LOVE Red Beans and Rice.  :fap:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on January 05, 2009, 10:02:52 PM
you should be ashamed of yourself.

you forgot the tasso.

Send me a pound or two, and it will never happen again.

LMNO
-Tasso?  In Boston?  It would be easier to find Speck.

LMNO

The closest name I have for this is, "Roasted Chicken Breast Cacciatore with Tarragon".

Here are some of the players:  Leftover roasted chicken breast, tomatoes, tarragon, butter, onion, garlic.

Brown the cut side of the breasts in butter, and remove.

I know some of you are gonna say "yuk" to the anchovy paste, but trust me.  You trusted me with the fish sauce, right?

Over low heat, sprinkle some of the red pepper flake into the pan, and melt the anchovy paste into the oil.  If you have actual anchovies, the same process will work.  Cook over low heat for about a minute.

Add onion, cook until soft, and the add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.

Deglaze with white wine, and add tomatoes.  I only used half a can on this one.

Add a few splashes of white wine vinegar.

Fresh tarragon is best, but make do with what you got, amirite?  Stir, and simmer for about 5 minutes to let the flavors come together, and some of the vinegar to cook out.

Slice chicken, and return to pan.  Cover, and simmer to warm chicken through, and absorb some of the liquid.

Chop up some olives and parsley for a garnish.

Serve with roasted cauliflower seasoned with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.  NOTE: My lovely test subject declared the cauliflower tasty, but perhaps not the best match for the strong vinegar/tarragon flavor of the chicken.  Just saying.