News:

He was a pretty good teacher, but he's also batshit insane and smells like ferret pee.

Main Menu

Behold, our ancestors.

Started by Kai, October 13, 2008, 10:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

No, I think Rat's got a point (and I keep hearing "If Telarus had the inclination, he could start a cult to rival Scientology" from my cabal-mates).

Memes are an emergent behavior of the lower substrate of abstract concepts (previously limited to one mind, or to the 'clan memory' that verbal communication provides) that have found a path to replication (on a multi-node human-based network, now using external memory in the forms of books and computer systems), and thus a competitive ecology.

BTW, this whole thread is full of win.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Kai

Quote from: Telarus on November 15, 2008, 10:26:45 PM
No, I think Rat's got a point (and I keep hearing "If Telarus had the inclination, he could start a cult to rival Scientology" from my cabal-mates).

Memes are an emergent behavior of the lower substrate of abstract concepts (previously limited to one mind, or to the 'clan memory' that verbal communication provides) that have found a path to replication (on a multi-node human-based network, now using external memory in the forms of books and computer systems), and thus a competitive ecology.

BTW, this whole thread is full of win.

Dammit.

I just realized Dawkins coined the term meme.  :argh!:
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Triple Zero

telarus, just a bit of definition, memes do not necessarily replicate. they are any "idea-sort-of-thing". it's just that the ones that do not replicate usually don't get very far or widespread, and usually aren't very interesting to consider, either.

and yeah, of course Rat is right, but that doesn't mean I have to be very enthousiastic about the idea :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Telarus

good point, 000. replication probably shouldn't be a requirement for the definition of 'meme'.

Now, a bit tangentially, I've recently been considering the Genesis accounts as an attempt by that tribe to narrativise the events that lead up to acquiring the whole 'abstract communicable thought' function. This makes Adam not 'the first dude', but the first dude who could go, "DUDE!". This also makes Lilith a crafty girl who jacked the skill of Naming and the social power that came with it, and got booted from the tribe as a result. A lot of the other language idiosyncrasies there seem to make a bit more sense with this grid on.

[/tangent]
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Kai

Quote from: Telarus on November 17, 2008, 01:58:35 AM
good point, 000. replication probably shouldn't be a requirement for the definition of 'meme'.

Now, a bit tangentially, I've recently been considering the Genesis accounts as an attempt by that tribe to narrativise the events that lead up to acquiring the whole 'abstract communicable thought' function. This makes Adam not 'the first dude', but the first dude who could go, "DUDE!". This also makes Lilith a crafty girl who jacked the skill of Naming and the social power that came with it, and got booted from the tribe as a result. A lot of the other language idiosyncrasies there seem to make a bit more sense with this grid on.

[/tangent]

Do you really think those pastoralists thought that deeply about this stuff?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Golden Applesauce

[/tangent]

The story was written thousands of years after language.  Seems that not very many people there would have been around to remember the first spoken sentence.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Iason Ouabache

[/tangent]
If you'd like my interpretation of Genesis...  I'll start by making a very key point that Creationists always ignore: "Adam" means "MAN" and "Eve" means "WOMAN". They are the prototypical perfect human beings.  The Garden of Eden is a metaphor for the Olden Times when "nothing bad ever happened ever"and humans were still nomadic hunter-gatherers. Eventually though the humans get bored of the "perfection" and develop curiosity.  They trade in their simplistic ways for knowledge/technology. They give up the hunter/gatherer lifestyle and develop agrarian societies with all of it's positives and negatives. 

It has the whole cause and effect backwards though.  Humans weren't punished to toil the land because of our quest for knowledge.  We chose to toil the land and found knowledge as a result.  Farming caused people to stay in one place for longer.  This, in turn, led to the development of towns and markets. This eventually led to trade routes, organized religion, government, schools, philosophy, modern science, etc, etc, etc.

The serpent gets a raw deal in the whole thing.  All he wanted was just a little piece.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘