News:

There's a sucker born every minute... and you are right on time.

Main Menu

Kai's research thread/caddisfly geekout

Started by Kai, October 22, 2008, 11:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

I just received the full notes from the PhD that did the last Cheumatopsyche larval taxonomy investigation.

Holy shit.

:fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: :fap:
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Kai

Okay, so I'm reviving this thread, due to the confirmation that I made today and yesterday. I was waiting because I didn't want to get excited and then be depressed because it was false, but I have discovered a species new to science and I am going to be published.

Seriously.

I just got done talking with my adviser about it, I've gone over the literature back and front. It is most definitely in the genus Oecetis, the wing venation makes that obvious, and the genitalia is very different from the two closest species, O. avara and O. eddlesoni. It's a small, yellow long horned caddisfly (Leptoceridae), only about 5 mm. It looks like a slightly smaller version of this:

Oecetis avara

I'm not sure what I'm going to name it yet, but I have some ideas.

This is really, really cool, guys. I won't be able to link the publication directly when it gets in a journal, for obvious reasons concerning my online anonymity, but I'll let you all know when it does, and anyone who wants to see the paper I'll send a link in PM.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

LMNO

Name it ROGER.

Also, I'm really, really happy for you!

Freeky

Kai

Quote from: LMNO on December 02, 2009, 02:52:40 PM
Name it ROGER.

O. rogeri? I'm not sure how I would explain that to my adviser.  :lulz: Not to mention, I hate patronyms.

And thanks. I'm really really happy for me too.  :D

The Good Reverend Roger

Name it ROGER.

WHAT THE HELL?   :lulz:

Me, too.  Congratulations, Kai.  Can you squeeze a PhD out of this?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 02, 2009, 04:54:04 PM
Name it ROGER.

WHAT THE HELL?   :lulz:

Damn... You mind pointing those lazors somewhere else for a bit?  They're giving me a headache.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on December 02, 2009, 04:55:05 PM
Name it ROGER.

WHAT THE HELL?   :lulz:

Damn... You mind pointing those lazors somewhere else for a bit?  They're giving me a headache.

Hey, you said my name.  That attracts my attention.  And I'm busy trying to drown some Peruvians.  On a bet.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on December 02, 2009, 03:02:49 PM
Name it ROGER.

O. rogeri? I'm not sure how I would explain that to my adviser. 

Well, it DOES have malformed genitals.

Captain Utopia

Kai

Name it ROGER.

WHAT THE HELL?   :lulz:

Me, too.  Congratulations, Kai.  Can you squeeze a PhD out of this?

Nope, but I can get a publication out, which will be good for my CV, experience and knock a requirement off my current degree.

Reginald Ret

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Kurt Christ

Quote from: Kai on December 02, 2009, 02:51:02 PM
Okay, so I'm reviving this thread, due to the confirmation that I made today and yesterday. I was waiting because I didn't want to get excited and then be depressed because it was false, but I have discovered a species new to science and I am going to be published.

Seriously.

I just got done talking with my adviser about it, I've gone over the literature back and front. It is most definitely in the genus Oecetis, the wing venation makes that obvious, and the genitalia is very different from the two closest species, O. avara and O. eddlesoni. It's a small, yellow long horned caddisfly (Leptoceridae), only about 5 mm. It looks like a slightly smaller version of this:

Oecetis avara

This is really, really cool, guys. I won't be able to link the publication directly when it gets in a journal, for obvious reasons concerning my online anonymity, but I'll let you all know when it does, and anyone who wants to see the paper I'll send a link in PM.
Congratulations! I would very much like to see the paper once you're done working on it, and be sure to update us on what you choose for the name (my suggestion would be to name it after Mothra or Battra, since Godzilla's got a prehistoric reptile named after him)!
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

Remington

Is it plugged in?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Kai on December 02, 2009, 02:51:02 PM

Seriously.

Oecetis avara

Holy shit Kai, that is fucking AWESOME!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."