News:

PD.com: You're safer in New Bedford.

Main Menu

ITT, Squiddy reviews beer.

Started by Sir Squid Diddimus, November 30, 2008, 06:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Aww, I missed that one.

I didn't dislike Ruination, it was just hoppier than my youthful palate can appreciate.  Hopefully it'll still be around when my taste buds are wizened somewhat.

Kai

Quote from: Sigmatic on December 01, 2010, 08:23:29 AM
Aww, I missed that one.

I didn't dislike Ruination, it was just hoppier than my youthful palate can appreciate.  Hopefully it'll still be around when my taste buds are wizened somewhat.

Don't worry about it. I think the bitterness of indian pale ale is distracting, sometimes annoyingly so. It's like, I'm going to make a chili but put way way way too much cumin in it. Overwhelms the rest.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Precious Moments Zalgo

I prefer English-style IPA's to American-style.  English style IPA's are much more malt focused with a good balance towards the hops, whereas American IPA's have a tendency to be one-dimensional hopbombs.  I also prefer the taste of English malt and hops to their American counterparts.

Samuel Smith's India Ale is a good example of the style that is relatively easy to find.  This time of year, World Market carries Ridgeway's Bad Elf, which is another good one.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

LMNO

Quote from: Suu on December 01, 2010, 02:07:09 AM
I have a bottle of Pretty Things Jack d'Our chilling in my freezer. It's an American Saison...I wanted Hennepin, but I didn't want to bring a 4pk home on the bus, so I got this in a 750. It's local out of Cape Cod, and a husband and wife venture. I have yet to try it so I'll have a review in a bit.

I am currently in love with just about everything Pretty Things makes.

Suu

I didn't start drinking IPAs until this spring. I couldn't take them...the first one I had was Harpoon a few years back and it made me gag, but now I know what to look for. I really dig one with a nice floral aroma that isn't ridiculously bitter, so finding that balance is tough. So far the faves I've had are Brooklyn EIPA and Ithaca Flower Power. The Flower Power I had on tap at Bukowski's when us spags brought Roger to Boston...I think Dimo had it too. It's FABOO.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Jenne

I had to sneak up to IPA's too.  Some were just too damned bold or flowery for me--somewhat like Kai's example on chili but I likened it to some darjeelings--one of the more flowery of the black teas.  Too much floweriness can be overwhelming making the drink sippable but not necessarily enjoyable to the fullest.

Stone really wants to pack that punch, it's why they name their brews stuff like "Arrogant Bastard," etc.  But I still love 'em, they've grown on me like a favorite mole.  :D

Jenne

Quote from: Sigmatic on December 01, 2010, 05:01:24 AM
I was blown away when I tried this:

http://www.stonebrew.com/porter/

Their IPA was a bit too hoppy for me, but this was kind of an epiphany.

I think this is the one the local chocolatier sells with their chocolate instead of a wine to go with it...lemme go look...(yup, scroll down on this link:

http://www.stonebrew.com/newsletter/archives/070131/default.htm

I think their barley wine is also used for that.)

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Jenne on December 02, 2010, 09:18:46 PM
I had to sneak up to IPA's too.  Some were just too damned bold or flowery for me--somewhat like Kai's example on chili but I likened it to some darjeelings--one of the more flowery of the black teas.  Too much floweriness can be overwhelming making the drink sippable but not necessarily enjoyable to the fullest.

Stone really wants to pack that punch, it's why they name their brews stuff like "Arrogant Bastard," etc.  But I still love 'em, they've grown on me like a favorite mole.  :D

I think I've mentioned before how jealous I am of your proximity to Stone.  Harpoon isn't too great a distance in this area, and I do love them, but Stone is just pure balls.

I really don't actually enjoy most standards IPAs.  They tend to finish poorly, with a bad, almost dirty aftertaste.  I find most double or super or other extreme IPAs finish clean and crisp, almost like a palate cleanser (even though it's probably because it's a palate destroyer).  I'll avoid Mayflower and Harpoon IPAs, and really even 60 Minute or Stone IPA, but I love the alternative 90-Minute and Ruination.  Cascade hops are probably my favorite variety because of said strong flavor without the sour aftertaste.

For those of you who are looking for a flavorful and drinkable IPA, every year at the hop harvest Harpoon releases the Glacial Harvest IPA as part of its 100 Barrel Series.  They're added to the brew fresh and wet as opposed to dried, and wet is really the best way to describe the taste difference.  Smooth and delicious as hell.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Sir Squid Diddimus

I gotta say, I can't stand simcoe hops.
They smell poopy.

Precious Moments Zalgo

Drinking a Great Divide Hibernation Ale.  It's good, but it needs some age.  I'll save four out of this six pack for next winter.

Suu

I apparently have the rarest beer in the world sitting in my fridge right now.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: Suu on December 08, 2010, 02:03:10 AM
I apparently have the rarest beer in the world sitting in my fridge right now.
Whatcha got?

Suu

SAMICHSLAUS.

I grabbed it because it said Samich, then I actually read.

QuoteSamichlaus is one of the strongest lager beers in the world [1], at 14% alcohol by volume, and the best known of all European Christmas beers.The name means Santa Claus in Swiss German. It was originally brewed by the Hürlimann Brewery in Zürich, Switzerland.
Hürlimann's founder Albert Hürlimann was a world leader in the scientific study of yeast, and the brewery has a long history of yeast development. The Samichlaus Christmas beer was first brewed in 1979 for sale in 1980. Production continued annually until 1997, when the brewery closed. In 2000, it returned,[2] this time produced by Schloss Eggenberg in collaboration with the original Hürlimann brewers, using the original Hürlimann Samichlaus recipe. The beer is only brewed once a year, on December 6 (which is the day of Saint Nicholas), which makes it a relatively rare brew. It is in the style of a Bavarian Doppelbock, and undergoes unusually long fermentation by traditional cold lagering over a ten month period, leaving very little residual sugar in the final beer.

Suu

And my beer is from 2007.  :eek:

BARLEY. FUCKING. WINE.

I'm saving this sucker for next Wednesday when I'm done with finals.

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: Suu on December 08, 2010, 04:01:09 AM
And my beer is from 2007.  :eek:

BARLEY. FUCKING. WINE.

I'm saving this sucker for next Wednesday when I'm done with finals.
I bet that beer is gonna be good.  Enjoy.