News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

Soy Sauce Alternative?

Started by Fuquad, January 13, 2009, 04:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuquad

THE WORST FORUM ON THE INTERNET

Fuquad

Quote from: Jenne on January 13, 2009, 05:45:12 PM
Quote from: Fuquad on January 13, 2009, 05:22:34 AM
Quote from: Nasturtiums on January 13, 2009, 05:18:29 AM
I believe that "mushrooms, soaking liquid" refers to when one soaks dried mushrooms (most often shiitake) in water, the resulting water will have absorbed savory flavors from the mushrooms and can be used in lieu of soy sauce.
I see. I thought it was a special liquid one used to soak mushrooms in.

I may have to try that out for my own enjoyment as the person with soy allergies I am planning on cooking for does not like mushrooms.

For your suggestion I will subject you to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hSW67ySCio&eurl=http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=jimi+hendrix+purple+haze&www_google_domain=www.google.com&hl=en&embiurl=http://i2.ytimg.com/vi/5hSW67ySCio/hqdefault.jpg&feature=player_embedded

My friend is coming to visit you too after she leaves here?  :lol: 

Good luck!  I'll ask her tonight what she uses as she loves Thai food but is allergic to soy.
Please do.

So for it's lea and parings.

I know I spelled it worng.

East Coast Hustle

worcestershire is NOT a suitable alternative to soy sauce. totally different flavor profile with the anchovy and tamarind.

same with fish sauce to a lesser degree. also, with fish sauce, be aware that there are several different varieties and that thai fish sauce (nam pla) will not taste the same as vietnamese fish sauce (nuoc mam).
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Fuquad

Alright.

going to have to say what I'm making Terriaki Chiken stir fry.

there will be ginger, garlic, cooking wine, and brown sugar in the mix as well.

I need something to is a good fake for the recipe.

Triple Zero

try looking up some recipes for brewing (it's fermented) your own soy sauce. then use some of the spices they use in those recipes. afaik, soy sauce as at least a tiny hint of cinnamon in it (but i could be wrong).
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Fuquad on January 14, 2009, 12:21:38 AM
Alright.

go get some cooking mirin (sweetened rice wine) and some rice wine vinegar. use them in equal parts and add ginger and garlic to taste. It's basically teriyaki minus soy and adding the vinegar, the sharpness of which will somewhat replace the soy sauce's flavor profile without introducing off flavors. It won't be teriyaki, but it will taste good and will also taste japaneesy.

on further reflection, I'd use 2 parts mirin, 1 part vinegar, and 1 part chicken stock (not sodium free or any crap like that).
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Jenne

Ginger!  Forget not the ginger!  And I forgot to ask her, so I will anon!

Fuquad

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on January 14, 2009, 05:52:05 AM
Quote from: Fuquad on January 14, 2009, 12:21:38 AM
Alright.

go get some cooking mirin (sweetened rice wine) and some rice wine vinegar. use them in equal parts and add ginger and garlic to taste. It's basically teriyaki minus soy and adding the vinegar, the sharpness of which will somewhat replace the soy sauce's flavor profile without introducing off flavors. It won't be teriyaki, but it will taste good and will also taste japaneesy.

on further reflection, I'd use 2 parts mirin, 1 part vinegar, and 1 part chicken stock (not sodium free or any crap like that).
Right.

I'm just trying to get something close. as she's never had teriyaki am sure a little bit off won't matter.

and for this suggestion I'm going to subject you to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb5Ii0iIcXo&eurl=http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=turning+japanese&oe=UTF-8&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=f&feature=player_embedded

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I wonder how a salted Stout would taste as a condiment?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jenne

Bad news, F, she says there IS NO sub for soy sauce, that she just doesn't use it.  :(

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on January 15, 2009, 09:50:32 PM
I wonder how a salted Stout would taste as a condiment?

using some (reduced) beer sounds like a pretty good idea to get some of that yeasty flavour from the soy sauce. but not too much.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.