News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

CRAZY PREPARED

Started by Richter, January 23, 2009, 08:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the last yatto

Quote from: Cain on January 23, 2009, 08:09:40 PM
I demand you rename this thread Crazy Prepared, in honour of the TV Trope. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrazyPrepared

they use  Naruto as reference point, suggestion to change it back
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Requia ☣

Also, a fifty pound draw on a non compound will be *very* hard to use, pulling it back is one thing, pulling it back and holding it steady is something else, make sure to put in a couple hundred shots a week (or day if you can) to get your muscles used to it if you expect to use it for survival.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

the last yatto

deer weapon and zombie weapon

learn the difference

(A simple Swiss Army knife is the exception IMHO.)
maybe cause it fits in the hand still

i can figure out almost all those tools are used for except what is that broken ring   in the middle
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Requia ☣

Thinking more long term, I should deposit some cultures of Penicillium notatum where I'm likely able to get at them.  Should be interesting to explain to the health inspector.

Also, whats the plant that produces aspirin?

Edit: willow bark

the last yatto

SANDALS
The Vietnamese and people throughout the Third World make a fantastically durable and comfortable pair of sandals out of rubber tires. They cut out a section of the outer tire (trace around the outside of the foot with a piece of chalk) which when trimmed forms the sole. Next 6 slits re made in the sole so the rubber straps can be criss-crossed and slid through the slits. The straps are made out of inner tubing. No nails are needed. If you have wide feet, use the new wide tread low profiles. For hard going, try radials. For best satisfaction and quality, steal the tires off a pig car or a government limousine.

Richter

Quote from: Requiem on January 27, 2009, 07:57:07 AM
Also, a fifty pound draw on a non compound will be *very* hard to use, pulling it back is one thing, pulling it back and holding it steady is something else, make sure to put in a couple hundred shots a week (or day if you can) to get your muscles used to it if you expect to use it for survival.

I'm steady with a 45# currently, but it's a little lackluster.  A 50-55# I prefer because it has better penetrating power and a flatter tragectory over 10 meters.  It's a toss up, but too much time drawn to sight my target always messes me up, regardless of steadiness.  I like to just fluidly draw, spot, release.

You're right, ANY tool is useless if you're not adept at using it.  (Watch the new guy at a charity building project swing a hammer, for example.)
With bows, I've always pulled off the best shots with the ones I've been able to train as you desbribed, each one's a different animal.
I think I'll take some free time over the next few days to practice tying most of the knives I own to a pole in the same spirit.  :wink:     
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Richter

Quote from: YattoDobbs on January 27, 2009, 08:21:47 AM
deer weapon and zombie weapon

learn the difference

Meat on the hoof and fictional manifestation of humanity's self loathing. 

Learn the difference.  :)
I'm with you though.  The Swiss Army Knife is still my favored bottle / can opener.

Quote from: YattoDobbs on January 27, 2009, 10:56:45 AM
SANDALS
The Vietnamese and people throughout the Third World make a fantastically durable and comfortable pair of sandals out of rubber tires. They cut out a section of the outer tire (trace around the outside of the foot with a piece of chalk) which when trimmed forms the sole. Next 6 slits re made in the sole so the rubber straps can be criss-crossed and slid through the slits. The straps are made out of inner tubing. No nails are needed. If you have wide feet, use the new wide tread low profiles. For hard going, try radials. For best satisfaction and quality, steal the tires off a pig car or a government limousine.

THIS.  :fap:
Sandals also, worn in humid hot enviroments, keep you free from the foot rot that is inevitable if you try to wear boots long term.  It worked out, and still works great for the Vietnamese.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

whatc

Supposedly good for your posture also. These kind of sandals worn by Masai were inspiration for "MBT shoes", which go for over 200$.

Sheered Völva

Quote from: whatc on January 27, 2009, 04:33:25 PM
Supposedly good for your posture also. These kind of sandals worn by Masai were inspiration for "MBT shoes", which go for over 200$.

"There is no sex without feet.  The more feet, the better sex." -- Charlie the Centipede.

"There you go bragging again.  I'm 10 times a better lover than you are!" -- Millie the Millipede

"Both of you, shut the fuck up!" -- Slim the Slug

the last yatto

Quote from: Richter on January 27, 2009, 02:02:15 PM
fictional manifestation of humanity's self loathing. 
:cn:

also isnt there a trick to get fresh water by using a plastic tarp/tent
(was it macguyver or mr wizard that i remember this from)

water purification tablets worth it or just collect rain in barrels?

Nast

Quote from: YattoDobbs on January 28, 2009, 03:01:39 AM
Quote from: Richter on January 27, 2009, 02:02:15 PM
fictional manifestation of humanity's self loathing. 
:cn:

also isnt there a trick to get fresh water by using a plastic tarp/tent
(was it macguyver or mr wizard that i remember this from)

water purification tablets worth it or just collect rain in barrels?

If the cloth you're using has a fine enough weave and folded many times, you can filter out copepods (little planktonic animals) that may carry nasty things like cholera or guinea worms.

Of course, this only reduces the amount of contaminants, and thoroughly boiling water before you drink it is your safest option.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Requia ☣

Reading through the army survival field manual.  It has one specifically good tip I feel the need to share, on the making of survival kits.

Quote from: FM 3.05-703-6. In preparing your survival kit, select items that are
multipurpose, compact, lightweight, durable, and most
importantly, functional. An item is not good if it looks great but
doesn't do what it was designed for. Items should complement
each other from layer to layer. A signal mirror in your pocket can
be backed up by pen flares in your LBE and a signal panel in your
rucksack. A lighter in your uniform can be augmented by a
magnesium bar in your LBE and additional dry tinder in your
rucksack.

The specifics may not be the best option, but its encouraged me to compliment the lighter I carry with me with a spare bottle of lighter fluid in my car.

Iason Ouabache

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Requia ☣

In the interest of one upping Iason, I found this:

http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/59301233/field+manual?tab=summary

Which should have all the field manuals Cain mentioned, and then some.  It's 2.5 gigabytes, so finding a torrent client that lets you pick and choose files might be a good idea (I have no idea what this would be in the windows world).

Cain

Bit Torrent would do the trick.