News:

PD.com: Better than a xylophone made out of live kittens that you play with a tazer.

Main Menu

CRAZY PREPARED

Started by Richter, January 23, 2009, 08:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Novatore on May 03, 2009, 06:50:22 PM
Plantains which are seen on damn near every sidewalk in the world are very hardy and resilient plants whose roots break down concrete and are highly nutritious.

while plantains are indeed highly nutritious, they are certainly not found in colder climes. also, they grow on trees, not vines, so they are unlikely to be found on sidewalks anywhere unless someone dumped a crate of them there.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

the last yatto

Quote from: Nigel on May 01, 2009, 05:25:48 PM
Where did you get your information on alternative medicine? It's terribly flawed, as well as being incomplete.
myspace :D
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Novatore

Quote from: Nigel on May 03, 2009, 11:09:20 PM
Different plantains: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/WEEDS/broadleaf_plantain.html

yep i should have clarified that a bit, on a different note:

Urban edibles is a very excellent site which utilizes crowdsourcing to map all the wild edibles in pdx, its an idea I would like to see spread to other locales:
http://urbanedibles.org/

Aquaponics is very similar to hydroponics except a second cycle is added where fish, typically Tilapia provide the nitrogenous waste which provides nutrients for the plants, like wise there are systems where the food for the tilapia is grown in the system. Once the system is set up all it requires is attention and occasional addition of water.
http://farmfountain.com/howto/index.html

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Yάttᶿ on May 04, 2009, 02:20:33 AM
Where did you get your information on alternative medicine? It's terribly flawed, as well as being incomplete.
myspace :D

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Requia ☣

*snip*

Organic may or may not be healthier to consume, depending on what it is. The higher on the food chain, the more unwanted/potentially harmful constituents can be avoided by eating organic.

*snip*

If something is high up on the food chain, wouldn't organic be of questionable use, since there are toxins in its food, irrespective of what else is done?  I suppose that non organic feed could exacerbate the problem in farm raised animals though.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Requia ☣

On echinacea:

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/353/4/341

Edit: It occurs to me that every study I've seen on the stuff focuses on the cold, it might be a different story with respect to other viruses.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Requia on May 04, 2009, 04:32:19 AM

*snip*

Organic may or may not be healthier to consume, depending on what it is. The higher on the food chain, the more unwanted/potentially harmful constituents can be avoided by eating organic.

*snip*

If something is high up on the food chain, wouldn't organic be of questionable use, since there are toxins in its food, irrespective of what else is done?  I suppose that non organic feed could exacerbate the problem in farm raised animals though.

Organic-raised animals are fed organic food, and are not given hormones or antibiotics. Read more.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Requia on May 04, 2009, 04:37:57 AM
On echinacea:

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/353/4/341

Edit: It occurs to me that every study I've seen on the stuff focuses on the cold, it might be a different story with respect to other viruses.

That's one of the studies I referenced. In that study they used approximately one-third the dosage used in studies that showed an immunostimulant effect. 

Requia ☣

Link to the studies that show this?  The only one I can find studied echinacea in combination with other things, and didn't distinguish between the two.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Requia on May 05, 2009, 05:46:11 AM
Link to the studies that show this?  The only one I can find studied echinacea in combination with other things, and didn't distinguish between the two.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=medical+echinacea+studies

Requia ☣

A) Fuck you
B) Did that already, guess what?  Google says you're full of shit.

Try again.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Are you seriously going to be that much of a bitch over me not wanting to do any more research for you over a days-old conversation that I'm bored of?

I mean, the information is out there... if I found it so can you. Or you could call me names because I didn't post the links in the first place and don't feel like looking it up again.

It might require more delving and reading than you feel like doing, but that's not my problem.

chaoflux

yall are bigger dorks than I am

Requia ☣

Quote from: Nigel on May 09, 2009, 02:49:48 AM
Are you seriously going to be that much of a bitch over me not wanting to do any more research for you over a days-old conversation that I'm bored of?

I mean, the information is out there... if I found it so can you. Or you could call me names because I didn't post the links in the first place and don't feel like looking it up again.

It might require more delving and reading than you feel like doing, but that's not my problem.

No, I'm going to swear at you because you pull the 'go look it up' schtick on me every time I claim you're wrong.  Then when i come back with citations that *also* say you're wrong you tell me to look it up, if you're going to make claims that the evidence really exists but I'm not trying hard enough, then fuck you.