News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

Expanding Earth?

Started by Akara, February 08, 2009, 05:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akara

ITT you are invited to peruse evidence brought together by some out-of-the-box thinking folks who have developed a theory base on an expanding earth rather than one which has always been its current size, and which has been formed by subduction of tectonic plates.

An interesting youtube video on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjgidAICoQI

and a webpage which better explains the theory in writing:

http://www.expanding-earth.org/
It's like a palsy victim doing brain surgery with a pipe wrench.

Kai

Um....I take every webpage that advertizes itself like a cure-all guitar method with a grain of salt.

That being said, the earth is slowing in its rotation, thus causing a reduction in flattening. Whatever effect THAT would have on the earth volume I don't know.

I really don't see the point in this. Sure, accretion happens, but I don't see how it is happening more rapidly now than ever before.

Heres the real tipoff its bunk:

QuoteEventually Mankind will be forced to migrate to a new home on Mars before Earth grows to the size of Neptune. Today's global warming is an early warning to Mankind.

Wow. This is one of those psycho end of the world psuedoscientific bullshit pages.

This is worse than flat earth.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Akara

aw, damn, i hadn't seen that quote somehow. yeah, that makes that page a lot more bullshit than previously thought. Mostly I thought the idea that the globe itself was expanding was a pretty interesting concept. too bad most of the proponents are conspiracy theorists.

Thurnez Isa

QuoteA white line has been added off the Asian trench system from Kamchatka down to the Mariana Trench, where the oldest known seafloor sediments on Earth, ~195-197 Ma (million years old), were discovered in 1992 by Nakanishi, et al. This gives an approximate age of 200 Ma for today's oceans. This trench system is very significant—it fits the western coast of North America, just as the eastern coast once conjoined Europe and Africa.

No, this is the oldest known sediment that has not been subducted under the earth. Notice it falls in line with a subduction zone... all sediment before that has been dragged under the earth, where a portion has melted, due to water trapped in the rocks, and has been ejected via the volcanoes that line up against the subduction zone

QuoteThe bottom layers of the Grand Canyon, ~1.6 kilometers (one mile) down, go back in time almost a billion years to the Precambrian, leaving another ~6365 kilometers to Earth's center.  This suggests the Earth could be much older than the 4.5 billion years now accepted as its age from radio-carbon dating of meteorites.

that would be true if the earths crust was static and not always in constant motion, creating uplift, metamorphosis of rock, and if this rock has not been exposed to erosion and if the 6365 km was solid rock... which a majority of it is not

QuoteBut, more importantly, think of the BOTTOM layer. When that bottom layer accreted onto Earth's surface it was the TOP layer of the Earth and exposed to the sun. All layers above it were laid down, one by one, in subsequent years. Where could this enormous volume of material have come from except outer space?

Just as materials are being subducted, materials are also being added through divergence. Also as continents are converging the crust is pushed ever upward, where more sediment is eroded, which turns into rock, ect.

QuoteApproximately 200 million years ago ALL of today's continents were joined together as a single planetary landmass on a much smaller planet (slightly larger than Mars is today) when NONE OF TODAY'S OCEANS EXISTED!

that is complete an utter bullshit. We can tell the rocks for example of around here were under an ocean over 2.6 BILLION years ago by the amount of stromatolites found in them... In fact the oceans in modern times is much smaller then usual size due to the amount of it frozen at the poles...  Of all water on earth only roughly 2.5 percent of it is not in the ocean, and of that roughly 75 % of that left over water is frozen in the poles. And we know from mapping out ancient coast lines that much more of the earths crust was covered in water.

QuoteThis unequivocal evidence suggests Earth's diameter has increased at an accelerating velocity. Today's oceans cover ~71% of Earth's surface, which equates to a ~40% increase in Earth's diameter in just ~200 Ma, an incredibly short period in geologic time. Earth's diameter then, without oceans, would have been only ~7640 km (~4747 mi) or about ~60% of its current average diameter of 12,734.889 km (7913.46 mi). [North American Datum of 1983, NOAA, 1989]

see above... oh and by the way there is major abundance of microscopic life during the Precambrian, which could only come from... the oceans...

QuoteThe Earth ~200 Ma was different from Wegener's 1912 concept of a single continental landmass (Pangaea) that covered one hemisphere, surrounded by a single hemispheric ocean (Panthalassa) on a planet of today's diameter because WEGENER'S PANTHALASSA NEVER EXISTED!

Never offered any conclusive evidence for this. he would have to explain how the continents fit, why certain matching fossils exists on both continents, why plate tectonics can be mapped via gps, paleomagnetism, sea floor spread, pretty much every outcrop of sedimentary rock does not show evidence of space dust, ie... modern geology

QuoteSubduction is not only illogical, it is not supported by geological or physical evidence, and violates fundamental laws of physics. Had the scientific community been less hasty in adopting subduction they might have realized subduction's fatal flaw that shows WHY subduction is totally false.

huh
that's why we could now measure it via gps... and Im not a physics expert but I know it doesn't contradict physics since there is something called a geophysics course... which they make surprisingly accurate predictions, which is used to industrial standards...
and of course every time that science doesn't measure up to your view of the world, it's a vast conspiracy. No geologist would break ranks, and possibly win a Nobel prize, and prove that modern geology is pretty much false.

QuoteIF EARTH'S DIAMETER IS FIXED AND UNCHANGING, the Atlantic Ocean basin MUST continue to EXPAND, pushing North and South America westward until they collide with Asia and Australia AFTER ELIMINATING THE PACIFIC OCEAN.

Like a said, the end of the oceanic plate (this is a generalization obviously) is being pushed under the continental plates it is colliding into ... ie subduction

I would read more but the site is fucking up firefox for some reason and im too lazy to switch browsers
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: Akara on February 08, 2009, 05:45:53 PM
aw, damn, i hadn't seen that quote somehow. yeah, that makes that page a lot more bullshit than previously thought. Mostly I thought the idea that the globe itself was expanding was a pretty interesting concept. too bad most of the proponents are conspiracy theorists.

It seems that Jupiter sucks most of the space junk entering our area of the solar system before it gets to us
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.

Dante

Kai

THURNEZ!

Thank FUCK, we have a geologist!
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Vene

Quote from: Kai on February 08, 2009, 06:31:08 PM
THURNEZ!

Thank FUCK, we have a geologist!
I think now we just need a physicist.

Thurnez Isa

Dante

Cain

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on February 08, 2009, 06:21:13 PM
QuoteA white line has been added off the Asian trench system from Kamchatka down to the Mariana Trench, where the oldest known seafloor sediments on Earth, ~195-197 Ma (million years old), were discovered in 1992 by Nakanishi, et al. This gives an approximate age of 200 Ma for today's oceans. This trench system is very significant—it fits the western coast of North America, just as the eastern coast once conjoined Europe and Africa.

No, this is the oldest known sediment that has not been subducted under the earth. Notice it falls in line with a subduction zone... all sediment before that has been dragged under the earth, where a portion has melted, due to water trapped in the rocks, and has been ejected via the volcanoes that line up against the subduction zone

QuoteThe bottom layers of the Grand Canyon, ~1.6 kilometers (one mile) down, go back in time almost a billion years to the Precambrian, leaving another ~6365 kilometers to Earth's center.  This suggests the Earth could be much older than the 4.5 billion years now accepted as its age from radio-carbon dating of meteorites.

that would be true if the earths crust was static and not always in constant motion, creating uplift, metamorphosis of rock, and if this rock has not been exposed to erosion and if the 6365 km was solid rock... which a majority of it is not

QuoteBut, more importantly, think of the BOTTOM layer. When that bottom layer accreted onto Earth's surface it was the TOP layer of the Earth and exposed to the sun. All layers above it were laid down, one by one, in subsequent years. Where could this enormous volume of material have come from except outer space?

Just as materials are being subducted, materials are also being added through divergence. Also as continents are converging the crust is pushed ever upward, where more sediment is eroded, which turns into rock, ect.

QuoteApproximately 200 million years ago ALL of today's continents were joined together as a single planetary landmass on a much smaller planet (slightly larger than Mars is today) when NONE OF TODAY'S OCEANS EXISTED!

that is complete an utter bullshit. We can tell the rocks for example of around here were under an ocean over 2.6 BILLION years ago by the amount of stromatolites found in them... In fact the oceans in modern times is much smaller then usual size due to the amount of it frozen at the poles...  Of all water on earth only roughly 2.5 percent of it is not in the ocean, and of that roughly 75 % of that left over water is frozen in the poles. And we know from mapping out ancient coast lines that much more of the earths crust was covered in water.

QuoteThis unequivocal evidence suggests Earth's diameter has increased at an accelerating velocity. Today's oceans cover ~71% of Earth's surface, which equates to a ~40% increase in Earth's diameter in just ~200 Ma, an incredibly short period in geologic time. Earth's diameter then, without oceans, would have been only ~7640 km (~4747 mi) or about ~60% of its current average diameter of 12,734.889 km (7913.46 mi). [North American Datum of 1983, NOAA, 1989]

see above... oh and by the way there is major abundance of microscopic life during the Precambrian, which could only come from... the oceans...

QuoteThe Earth ~200 Ma was different from Wegener's 1912 concept of a single continental landmass (Pangaea) that covered one hemisphere, surrounded by a single hemispheric ocean (Panthalassa) on a planet of today's diameter because WEGENER'S PANTHALASSA NEVER EXISTED!

Never offered any conclusive evidence for this. he would have to explain how the continents fit, why certain matching fossils exists on both continents, why plate tectonics can be mapped via gps, paleomagnetism, sea floor spread, pretty much every outcrop of sedimentary rock does not show evidence of space dust, ie... modern geology

QuoteSubduction is not only illogical, it is not supported by geological or physical evidence, and violates fundamental laws of physics. Had the scientific community been less hasty in adopting subduction they might have realized subduction's fatal flaw that shows WHY subduction is totally false.

huh
that's why we could now measure it via gps... and Im not a physics expert but I know it doesn't contradict physics since there is something called a geophysics course... which they make surprisingly accurate predictions, which is used to industrial standards...
and of course every time that science doesn't measure up to your view of the world, it's a vast conspiracy. No geologist would break ranks, and possibly win a Nobel prize, and prove that modern geology is pretty much false.

QuoteIF EARTH'S DIAMETER IS FIXED AND UNCHANGING, the Atlantic Ocean basin MUST continue to EXPAND, pushing North and South America westward until they collide with Asia and Australia AFTER ELIMINATING THE PACIFIC OCEAN.

Like a said, the end of the oceanic plate (this is a generalization obviously) is being pushed under the continental plates it is colliding into ... ie subduction

I would read more but the site is fucking up firefox for some reason and im too lazy to switch browsers

:mittens:

Thank fuck you got to this.  I dreaded having to drag out all my old paleontology books.

Cain,
one time budding dinosaur hunter and geology geek

Akara

lol. Thurnez: saving the world thru geology.

LMNO