News:

OK fuckers, let me out of here. I farted for you, what more do you want from me? Jesus fuck.

Main Menu

Plus, I Got Religion

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, March 08, 2009, 01:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

No problem.  Being a smug asshole is annoying, I agree, and 99% of the reasons I dislike "New Atheists".

Soylent Green

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 10, 2009, 03:38:10 AM
Quote from: Skieth on March 10, 2009, 03:23:22 AM

But whenever I attack someones religion it is because they blindly accept something that is absolutely ridiculous.

Everyone does that.  Even you.

I know I do.

And when I do, and someone else notices it, I don't go batshit on them when they rebuke me for believing it, I just talk to them about it and see their point of view on it. I don't try to act like I am the all seeing eye in a world of retards. I just find a lot of religious people to be blind followers who have never even looked at other religions to see what they are about, or have never even thought about the things in their religion that don't make sense.

Quote1. I don't get it, why MUST you force other people to follow your logic? Who cares if they aren't "logical"? It's not hurting you.

2. You don't know much about ancient Greece, do you?

I don't actually bash other peoples religion. In fact 90% of the time I don't talk about religion unless someone says something to me about it. But I REALLY hate the fact that even though I don't really look into things like Christianity, I still know more about it than most Christians I know, and that REALLY pisses me off. And when that is happening I DO talk about religion. Or when I actually do read the Bible (which I do occasionally when I'm REALLY bored and I don't have a book to read) and I find something that really makes me think in it.

And as for #2 it was an example -.- it was not supposed to be a literal situation.

Well, because he's so much smarter than them, obviously.  Because he doesn't ever believe in anything that defies logic.   lol

TGRR,
Is willing to be the spag even believes that the US "government" exists.

Whats your problem? Did I ever even say something like " Oh I are teh smarts and all Christians/religous people are teh stupidzzzzz"? No. I just said why I would bash someone if I were to bash someone for their religion. And what does "Is willing to be the spag even believes.." even supposed to mean?

Soylent Green

Quote from: Cain on March 10, 2009, 05:03:52 PM
No problem.  Being a smug asshole is annoying, I agree, and 99% of the reasons I dislike "New Atheists".

Also, because saying what you think is TOTALLY being a smug asshole, I mean there is no POSSIBLE way you could have interpreted it differently than I meant it, right?

Of course.

LMNO

Guys, Skeith sounds like we should apply the 50-post suggestion here.

Request to save the flames for 33 more posts, eh?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on March 10, 2009, 07:31:44 PM

As much as I felt like laying into him... I agree with LMNO ;-)

I still know more about it than most Christians I know...

*must resist*
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

He said "most".

I don't think you count, and JW is a minority sect...

Soylent Green

Why? Because no one can dare talk bad about you guys unless they have posted and have been accepted? Why can't you just not pay attention to how long I have been here (I never post often on forums, I prefer to look around and read more than type a response, for this very reason) and read my post like TGRR or someone older wrote it?

Even if I had some ridiculously high post count my posts would be no different >_>

QuoteI still know more about it than most Christians I know...

*must resist*

If you have something to say, say it. I know a lot more about Christianity than a lot of Christians I have talked to about it. It is because most of them follow it blindly without even thinking.

They SHOULD know more about Christianity than an atheist who only reads his bible when he is really bored.

Of course, there are some people who do know a lot about religion, and we do have really good conversations about it. And those people do have good points sometimes. (not always, but sometimes)

EDIT: I think that is a little better.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on March 10, 2009, 07:38:00 PM
He said "most".

ROFL, well A) I don't count since I'm not a Christian (anymore) and B) I'm not even referencing JW's.... I just find that many atheists that 'know the bible better than most Christians' generally mean "I googled all this stuff about the Bible that I can throw in people's faces". Of course, I could be wrong about our friend Skieth

LMNO

Quote from: Skieth on March 10, 2009, 07:40:21 PM

Why? Because no one can dare talk bad about you guys unless they have posted and have been accepted? Why can't you just not pay attention to how long I have been here (I never post often on forums, I prefer to look around and read more than type a response, for this very reason) and read my post like TGRR or someone older wrote it?

Even if I had some ridiculously high post count my posts would be no different >_>

Calm down.  The 50-post suggestion says that we should allow new posters 50 posts to get the feel for these forums, so the general tone and tenor of the forums becomes clear.  That way, people like you won't get all pissed off and leave, and gives more time for the addictive toxins to absorb into the skin.

*must resist*

If you have something to say, say it. It is true, I DO know more about Christianity because I used to be a REALLY devout Christian until I became an atheist.

If you are religious you should know more about it than an atheist who only reads it when he is bored.

Ratatosk used to be a Jehova's Witness.  I'm an amateur bible scholar and part-time Kabbalist.  Pleased to meet you.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on March 10, 2009, 07:44:33 PM
Quote from: Skieth on March 10, 2009, 07:40:21 PM

Calm down.  The 50-post suggestion says that we should allow new posters 50 posts to get the feel for these forums, so the general tone and tenor of the forums becomes clear.  That way, people like you won't get all pissed off and leave, and gives more time for the addictive toxins to absorb into the skin.

*must resist*

If you have something to say, say it. It is true, I DO know more about Christianity because I used to be a REALLY devout Christian until I became an atheist.

If you are religious you should know more about it than an atheist who only reads it when he is bored.

Ratatosk used to be a Jehova's Witness.  I'm an amateur bible scholar and part-time Kabbalist.  Pleased to meet you.

Damn it LMNO, you beat me to the post.

Yeah, what he said... also Hi Skieth!

Kai

Quote from: Cain on March 10, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Seems perfectly reasonable to me, even if Kai and Anomalous didn't explain it in the best way possibly (ironically, helping to prove that language can be unstable).

I tried my best.

Also, roger, next time go take a shit on someone else, like someone that doesn't go out of their way to keep from pissing you off on a regular basis.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Soylent Green

Quote from: Ratatosk on March 10, 2009, 07:43:12 PM
He said "most".

ROFL, well A) I don't count since I'm not a Christian (anymore) and B) I'm not even referencing JW's.... I just find that many atheists that 'know the bible better than most Christians' generally mean "I googled all this stuff about the Bible that I can throw in people's faces". Of course, I could be wrong about our friend Skieth

You are, and yes, I know A LOT of atheists like that (and they do piss me off)

Anything I have to say to any of my religious friends I get from reading the bible and thinking about it. I have NEVER done the whole "oh lets google it and see why Christians are stupid" thing. In fact when I was Christian I used to look up those things to see why they were stupid. (I used to think 90% of atheists were dumbasses because of the things I read lol)

EDIT: ah, I see LMNO, I thought it was more like "Oh, he must be stupid because he just joined" because I have experienced a lot of that with other forums. Sorry

LMNO

We went through dozens of n00bs before our sub-goddess Hoshiko suggested the Suggestion.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Skieth on March 10, 2009, 07:49:10 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on March 10, 2009, 07:43:12 PM
He said "most".

You are, and yes, I know A LOT of atheists like that (and they do piss me off)

Anything I have to say to any of my religious friends I get from reading the bible and thinking about it. I have NEVER done the whole "oh lets google it and see why Christians are stupid" thing. In fact when I was Christian I used to look up those things to see why they were stupid. (I used to think 90% of atheists were dumbasses because of the things I read lol)

EDIT: ah, I see LMNO, I thought it was more like "Oh, he must be stupid because he just joined" because I have experienced a lot of that with other forums. Sorry

Ah good. Then we won't be having the "well the Bible contradicts itself because there are different English words that seem to conflict etc? Most excellent! (DAMNIT see where that assumption got me??!!)

And your edit is just why the 50 post thing sometimes works ;-)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on March 10, 2009, 01:14:16 PM
Wait, so now is it a joke wrapped in a religion or has it changed to a religion wrapped in a joke? I'm so confused. 

Spidermang: He a spider. He a mang. He bofe.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."