News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

Plus, I Got Religion

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, March 08, 2009, 01:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on March 12, 2009, 02:37:02 PM
Its because the Bible is quantum.

The universe doesn't have to decide if Jesus is dead until you roll back the stone in front of the cave.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Cain

Alternatively, humanity can understand God's plan, but once they do, they don't know when its going to happen.  And if they do know when its going to happen, they cannot know how.

LMNO

You realize you're one aphorism away from starting the next new age cult, right?

Cain

LMNO

It's Standard Model Christianity.

Find Jesus in the Quark!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on March 12, 2009, 02:44:30 PM
You realize you're one aphorism away from starting the next new age cult, right?

It's about time Cain caught a break, financially.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Fuck yeah.

My immediate debt is actually now paid off, fortunately.  Assuming I'm not dragged off to work in a salt mine before, I should be out of the red by the summer or so.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on March 12, 2009, 01:07:09 PM
I'm not talking about playing "gotcha!" when someone says they're xtian, I'm talking about people who say, "because the bible says so", and then can't cite the passage, or even the right book.  I mean, that's about as bad as someone talking about physics and saying, "it's because of Quantum."

I mean, if you're going to use it as your primary source, you should have some passing knowledge of it.

Well, sure... though I think expecting people to memorize chapter and verse is a little ridiculous... in fact, Christians who can cite chapter and verse are people to be assiduously avoided in my little world, because how annoying is that? If they're citing the Bible as their primary source but they haven't even read the passage in question, or if they're claiming it says something it doesn't say at all, I understand calling them on it. However, for centuries very few Christians ever read the Bible at all... that's just not how their religion is structured. It was considered dangerous for the common man to have direct access to the Word of God for hundreds of years-- the whole thing is built around an authority structure, taking the word of the priests. Christians have only had widespread access to the Bible for about four hundred years, and for most of that time the majority was illiterate anyway.

I'm not interested in a religion where I seek truth from priests rather than from experiences... but if that's how their religion works, how can it be fair to judge them for doing it? I'm also not interested in a religion where I would seek truth from books rather than experiences.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

potato

the cult I was in was one of those "chapter and verse" groups, and it was ingrained in the culture that it was FUN to humiliate the ignorant masses by demanding chapter and verse for every statement of faith. the end result is that many conversations that would have passed the time enjoyably were derailed by the cultish mean streak of having to be "right" about all things concerning the bible.

perhaps instead of railing on someone who answers "because the bible says so" and can't cite the passage, it'd be better to either walk away from the conversation or continue with a simple acceptance that that is what the person believes the bible says.

plus, you can go fucking google any idea or word in the bible and get all the context you need, or 20-30 additional interpretations thereof, in a matter of minutes if you really need to.

like I said, I know a lot of bible passages but I've only googled it once in the last few years when someone suggested bathsheba "asked for it". because THAT actually was stupid. otherwise, I get bored listening to people drone on about jesus, but it's their faith and I can limit my exposure very easily.
everything I commit to print is protected by the copyright laws of the U.S. and I retain all rights, including rights to create derivative works, except where I have included reprinted content under the fair use provision, in which case the original author retains all rights, unless of course they've place their work in the public domain or under a CC license, in which case there are no restrictions on public domain works and CC works can be used under the specific license under which it has been distributed.

the above notice exists in case I accidentally ever say anything clever enough that someone wants to borrow, steal or otherwise use it in any printed form.

LMNO

So, if they get their knowledge of what it means to be a Xtian from the preacher, and aren't expected to read the source material, and are allowed to misquote and mis-attribute it, then why have a bible at all?  Doesn't it all boil down to the ultimate "appeal to authority" fallacy?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on March 12, 2009, 03:55:14 PM
So, if they get their knowledge of what it means to be a Xtian from the preacher, and aren't expected to read the source material, and are allowed to misquote and mis-attribute it, then why have a bible at all?  Doesn't it all boil down to the ultimate "appeal to authority" fallacy?

Dude, he's talking about Christianity... its all appeal to authority.  :lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Soylent Green

I'm not talking about playing "gotcha!" when someone says they're xtian, I'm talking about people who say, "because the bible says so", and then can't cite the passage, or even the right book.  I mean, that's about as bad as someone talking about physics and saying, "it's because of Quantum."

I mean, if you're going to use it as your primary source, you should have some passing knowledge of it.

See, this is kind of what I meant when I said I hate people who don't know about their religion and blindly accept it.

This is literally a conversation between me and someone I know:

Me: "Ok, so why do you believe in god?"

Him: "Well, Jesus has just worked in my life and he has helped me through the bad parts of it, so I believe in him"

I mean I just can't accept that. You have no idea about your religion and you only follow it because mommy and daddy told you to.

If you have any actual religion at all you should at least look at other religions (not all, but one or two) to see if they are more "real" to you. Hardly any of the really religious people I know have ever considered another religion. And they have barely even looked into their own religion. I mean I'm not saying you need to know EVERYTHING ABOUT YOUR RELIGION EVER, but you should at least know enough to defend your religion against someone of a different religion.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Skieth on March 12, 2009, 04:10:58 PM

See, this is kind of what I meant when I said I hate people who don't know about their religion and blindly accept it.

Him: "Well, Jesus has just worked in my life and he has helped me through the bad parts of it, so I believe in him"

I mean I just can't accept that. You have no idea about your religion and you only follow it because mommy and daddy told you to.

If you have any actual religion at all you should at least look at other religions (not all, but one or two) to see if they are more "real" to you. Hardly any of the really religious people I know have ever considered another religion. And they have barely even looked into their own religion. I mean I'm not saying you need to know EVERYTHING ABOUT YOUR RELIGION EVER, but you should at least know enough to defend your religion against someone of a different religion.

Meh, I could defend my religion against any belief system... and it was still all shit. Defending one's belief system may be useful for some people that like to debate religion... but I think I would much prefer the people that say "I dunno, it feels right to me". The spag that argues, thinks he KNOWS THE REALLY REAL TRUTH. The other person is just going off of their experience and neurological system.

They're both likely deluded... but the guy with all the defensive stuff is gonna be much more of an asshole to hang out with.

:fnord:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Soylent Green

Quote from: Ratatosk on March 12, 2009, 04:15:00 PM
Quote from: Skieth on March 12, 2009, 04:10:58 PM

Meh, I could defend my religion against any belief system... and it was still all shit. Defending one's belief system may be useful for some people that like to debate religion... but I think I would much prefer the people that say "I dunno, it feels right to me". The spag that argues, thinks he KNOWS THE REALLY REAL TRUTH. The other person is just going off of their experience and neurological system.

They're both likely deluded... but the guy with all the defensive stuff is gonna be much more of an asshole to hang out with.

:fnord:

It isn't like I talk about religion a lot or even very often. Its just a subject that comes up on occasion. And saying "I just believe" is stupid in my opinion(which isn't worth much). Because for all they know everything the preacher told them could be a lie. The (for this example, they are Christian) bible could have a chapter that says it is all a load of crock and that you should go kill babies.

Saying "I just believe" is like saying "Mommy said so so it much be real =D". You don't even know what you believe in.