News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

Hungry shrimp eat climate change experiment

Started by Telarus, March 27, 2009, 04:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16842-hungry-shrimp-eat-climate-change-experiment.html
QuoteIt is another nail in the coffin of using ocean fertilisation to cool the planet. Early results from the latest field experiment suggest the technique will fail.

"I think we are seeing the last gasps of ocean iron fertilisation as a carbon storage strategy," says Ken Caldeira of the Carnegie Institution at Stanford University.

Earlier this month, the controversial Indian-German Lohafex expedition fertilised 300 square kilometres of the Southern Atlantic with six tonnes of dissolved iron. The iron triggered a bloom of phytoplankton, which doubled their biomass within two weeks by taking in carbon dioxide from the seawater. Dead bloom particles were then expected to sink to the ocean bed, dragging carbon along with them.

Instead, the bloom attracted a swarm of hungry copepods. The tiny crustaceans graze on phytoplankton, which keeps the carbon in the food chain and prevents it from being stored in the ocean sink. Researchers from the Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research reported that the copepods were in turn eaten by larger crustaceans called amphipods, which serve as food for squid and fin whales.

MORE
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Jasper

Damn, I always thought that idea might have gone somewhere.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Telarus on March 27, 2009, 04:55:52 AM

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16842-hungry-shrimp-eat-climate-change-experiment.html
QuoteIt is another nail in the coffin of using ocean fertilisation to cool the planet. Early results from the latest field experiment suggest the technique will fail.

"I think we are seeing the last gasps of ocean iron fertilisation as a carbon storage strategy," says Ken Caldeira of the Carnegie Institution at Stanford University.

Earlier this month, the controversial Indian-German Lohafex expedition fertilised 300 square kilometres of the Southern Atlantic with six tonnes of dissolved iron. The iron triggered a bloom of phytoplankton, which doubled their biomass within two weeks by taking in carbon dioxide from the seawater. Dead bloom particles were then expected to sink to the ocean bed, dragging carbon along with them.

Instead, the bloom attracted a swarm of hungry copepods. The tiny crustaceans graze on phytoplankton, which keeps the carbon in the food chain and prevents it from being stored in the ocean sink. Researchers from the Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research reported that the copepods were in turn eaten by larger crustaceans called amphipods, which serve as food for squid and fin whales.

MORE

There is nothing about this that is not funny.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

I really hope that at some point when they were planning all this out, one scientist turned to the other and said, "what could possibly go wrong?"

Elder Iptuous

is there no environment that phytoplankton can survive, but not the copepods?

OT this is the second thread this week that makes me want to get back into reef aquarium keeping.  i never had enough copepods in my tank to support a mandarin...

Kai

What this shows is that even an experiment that failed in one sense can have interesting and useful results.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Kai on April 03, 2009, 05:54:19 PM
What this shows is that even an experiment that failed in one sense can have interesting and useful results.
Nuh uh, Kai. This proves that all scientist are teh dumb and don't know anything ever. This also proves that my specific god exists. Take that, scientatheists!
     \
:mullet:
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Vene

It's only funny until you have somebody actually tell you that.  Then it's :horrormirth:

Kai

Quote from: Vene on April 06, 2009, 11:15:26 PM
It's only funny until you have somebody actually tell you that.  Then it's :horrormirth:

:horrormirth: has both  :x and  :lulz:, therefore it was  :lulz:

Vene

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Vene on April 06, 2009, 11:15:26 PM
I'm still convinced that 75% of online Creationists are actually trolls. There is no way that anyone could be that stupid and still figure out how to use a computer.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Elder Iptuous

Applied Science rendered Pure through the refining fire of failure!

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Kai

Quote from: Iptuous on April 07, 2009, 03:20:39 PM

Applied Science rendered Pure through the refining fire of failure!

My point exactly.

Question: Why is it that we have to separate both pure and applied science? Why is it that applied science doesn't lead to pure science more often? Why is it that one or the other is looked down upon? Is it because people in "pure science" are seen as sitting in ivory towers, and that people in "applied science" are seen as amoral greedy businessmen?

From what I see, the one should lead to the other, and vice versa, and back and forth. Questions and systems both drive just as strongly, why not creative and applied inquiry?