News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

A Disclaimer

Started by Richter, April 13, 2009, 08:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

"You do it to yourself, you do, and that's what really hurts."
-Thom Yorke.

Any benefit to your life is your own fault.
Any change for the better, you had to accept.
Any revision of personal image, worldview, philosophy, spirituality, or faith, you had to accept.

Pawning this off on someone else with credit and praise won't change that.
You could have ignored, lambasted, deluded, or drugged yourself away from it, but you didn't. 
You're still thinking about it now.  It hurts, but you seem to be realizing that the pain is better than going back to your previously held views. 

Thank you for you time and good luck.
  -People appreciating your new take on reality.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Epimetheus

Okay, it's a fine idea, but it seems like the initial quote would have sufficed, or a single sentence ("It's your own damn fault"?).
And that would have fit in the One Sentence Rants thread.

Maybe elaborate more, because I felt like it was pointless to read. It's (too) simple. I'd like to know your particular (perhaps personal) take on it.

:kingmeh:
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Cainad (dec.)

I dunno, I thought it expressed the idea pretty well.

Epimetheus

Richter, do you feel like you expanded on the idea as much as you could? Or were you perhaps being lazy? If you're able I'd like to see an expanded version

that I could fap over while yelling, "YES! I CONTROL THE MONKEYS! THEY DO MY BIDDING!"
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Batty Kissinger

Yeah, no. It's about 10,000 words too short.
I don't read anything under eleven pages in length.
Blue potatoes are ungainly things
As are red and purple lamb chops
Yet when we eat and creep and fall
We never ask a silent question. --Racter

The Good Reverend Roger

Everyone's a fucking editor. 

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Richter

The idea was to keep it short, get a point across, and let any readers go from there.  Kind of somewhere between marginalia and a 1 page essay, it's an idea that ran through my mind that didn't fit into meme bomb format easily.   

If it's shit, then it's shit.  I'm not hording the idea for myself, anyone who has a different way to frame it, have fun! 

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 14, 2009, 04:33:50 AM
Everyone's a fucking editor. 

They'll be telling me to put pants on next.

Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Payne

Put your pants on, Richter.

Regarding the OP, I'll think on it a bit and see if I can come up with an interesting idea from it myself.

LMNO

Quote from: Epimetheus on April 14, 2009, 04:22:13 AM
Richter, do you feel like you expanded on the idea as much as you could? Or were you perhaps being lazy? If you're able I'd like to see an expanded version

Quantity =/= quality.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Rev Thwack

Quote from: LMNO on April 14, 2009, 05:15:49 PM

Quantity =/= quality.

No, but it is possible to shorten thing to the point where they might seem fine to you while leaving everyone else unimpressed and not really seeing everything you are trying to convey.
My balls itch...

Richter

Valid point for any ranting / writing.  You can't assume everyone will make, or can make the same inferences you did. 

As far as long vs. short rant.  "Brevity is the sould of wit.", but remember that Shakespere had Polonius, the long winded truism spouter saying this.

Reginald Ret

I like it as it is.
Refering to something positive as if it were negative is a good way of making it stick and forcing you to think about it.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Richter

Cheap hook, but I like how it can work sometimes.  There were a few ulterior motives. 
-Get people to take credit for their own improvement / discourage cult of personality around a single figure.
-Encourage a pragmatic view of changes in thinking.  (Yes, you let your life / POV change.  Is it working out for you?)

As always, there's an attempt to be prodding folks towards disecting, reflecting, and discussing.  As dicussed, this is an unreliable phenomenon.       

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev Thwack on April 14, 2009, 07:04:00 PM
Quote from: LMNO on April 14, 2009, 05:15:49 PM

Quantity =/= quality.

No, but it is possible to shorten thing to the point where they might seem fine to you while leaving everyone else unimpressed and not really seeing everything you are trying to convey.

Sure.  If by "everyone" you mean "Rev Thwack".
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.