News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

What the Fuck is Wrong with Walking?

Started by Corvidia, April 14, 2009, 08:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

nah, just busting your balls. however, having lived somewhere with a very similar climate I gotta say I don't buy the "I need it for the AC and to prevent heatstroke" part. your body will adapt to that climate, if you let it.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on May 12, 2009, 01:08:23 PM
nah, just busting your balls. however, having lived somewhere with a very similar climate I gotta say I don't buy the "I need it for the AC and to prevent heatstroke" part. your body will adapt to that climate, if you let it.

shit are you kidding? i can't afford to run my ac LOL, sucks up too much gas.
i've kinda adapted to it since i've been here for 25 yrs, but like i said, i can't go to work smelling like a goat.
they kinda frown on it

Corvidia

Quote from: Squid on May 11, 2009, 05:02:18 PM
Back to the OP:

M'kay, picture this.
You live in Florida. It's currently 94F with humidity at 60%. That means your sweat won't dry. And you will sweat. Everything you need to get to (like work or a store for groceries whatever) is between 6 and 15 miles away.
You gonna walk?
You wanna go to work and sit in an office full of people smelling like a goat?

A city block here is about 5 NY city blocks. We have shit for public transportation and heat stroke is no fucking joke.
Many here have no choice. We have to drive. As much as I may not want to cause my car IS, in fact, a gas guzzling piece of shit, I have to.
I do complain about getting fat, I do drive to the Starbucks drive through every day for my grande iced coffee with cinnamon dolce syrup and a splash of half and half and I do hate that I have to drive there. But I do it anyway.
I don't live in a place where walking everywhere is an option.
Sure wish I did.
Also a different deal to some extent. It hits about 104*F once a week around here, sometimes higher, all summer long. Walking in that heat is revolting. I walk a lot less in the summer. I'm willing to drive the half mile for tacos in June instead of walking. If it's die/smell like ass/get shot--drive. If it doesn't matter if you smell or you're not likely to die, walk.
'S all I got to say.
One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret never to be told.

Sir Squid Diddimus

it's not the heat it's the humidity

ahaha

hahaha

ahahahahahahhahahahahaaaaaa!

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

:x

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Squid on May 13, 2009, 03:14:55 AM

ahaha

hahaha

IT'S A DRY HEAT.

:crankey:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 13, 2009, 03:47:23 AM

ahaha

hahaha

IT'S A DRY HEAT.

NOT HERE, SONNY.  :gheyforum:

Jenne

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 13, 2009, 03:47:23 AM

ahaha

hahaha

IT'S A DRY HEAT.

motto of every desert dweller, esp those in AZ! :D

Corvidia

ahaha

hahaha

I was sympathizing. However, yes, humidity multiplies the suckage. I think I would die if it was nearly as humid here as it is there in Florida.
One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret never to be told.

Triple Zero

most definitely. over here, when it gets really hot (which is 95F, hardly ever gets up to 104F) it is way, way worse than whenever I'm in some more southern country such as Spain and the temp is higher, but the air is dryer.

still, have never encountered heat that made walking indurable or "revolting". then again, Airco is a rare thing here, so we don't have much choice (just a few supermarkets, fancy offices and some cars), I just wear thinner clothes, keep myself hydrated (2L/day minimum, thank god the water from the tap here tastes just as good as the bottled stuff), oh and naturally going by bike for medium-longer distances is great, you're there sooner and you get a breeze in your face :)

and heat stroke? I never had it, but you prevent it by wearing a white hat so your head doesnt overheat, right?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Sir Squid Diddimus

I've seen elderly and kids alike passed out in their lawns.
Hat no helpy.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Squid on May 13, 2009, 04:42:08 PM
I've seen elderly and kids alike passed out in their lawns.
Hat no helpy.

omgy wtf happeny?

dehydratey?
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

LMNO

Core heat raises to unsafe levels.

The humidity makes the sweat function useless, as it's the sweat evaporating that cools the body.

No evaporation = no cooling.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: LMNO on May 13, 2009, 06:02:53 PM
Core heat raises to unsafe levels.

The humidity makes the sweat function useless, as it's the sweat evaporating that cools the body.

No evaporation = no cooling.

THIS!

Triple Zero

so how did people survive over there a couple of decades ago, before they had cars with AC?

LMNO

I'm guessing they weren't stupid spag goyim.