News:

PD.com: "I'M MADDER THAN FISH GREASE!"

Main Menu

RIP, Geocities!

Started by Iason Ouabache, April 25, 2009, 06:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2241092/yahoo-closing-geocities

QuoteYahoo will close Geocities, the free web hosting service it paid $4bn for 10 years ago.

"Sorry, new Geocities accounts are no longer available," read a message on the homepage on Friday.

In 1999, when Yahoo purchased Geocities, it was the third most visited site on the web behind AOL and Yahoo, with 19 million unique visitors in December 1998, according to a Comscore Media Metrix report. Now Geocities is slightly outdated in the current Web 2.0 era, giving users no way to integrate their sites with third-party applications.

The closure is also evidence that the revenue model for hosting free web sites is difficult to sustain, especially in the current economic climate.

Yahoo has encouraged Geocities members to start upgrading to the company's subscription-based Web Hosting service, although it assured them in a statement that they will still be able to access their sites and Geocities services until "later this year".

Let's all raise a toast in the memory of the home of the shittiest websites in the history of the interweb.  Who knows where all the crackpots and 12 year-olds will post their stupid shit from here on out.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on April 25, 2009, 06:39:24 PM
http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2241092/yahoo-closing-geocities

QuoteYahoo will close Geocities, the free web hosting service it paid $4bn for 10 years ago.

"Sorry, new Geocities accounts are no longer available," read a message on the homepage on Friday.

In 1999, when Yahoo purchased Geocities, it was the third most visited site on the web behind AOL and Yahoo, with 19 million unique visitors in December 1998, according to a Comscore Media Metrix report. Now Geocities is slightly outdated in the current Web 2.0 era, giving users no way to integrate their sites with third-party applications.

The closure is also evidence that the revenue model for hosting free web sites is difficult to sustain, especially in the current economic climate.

Yahoo has encouraged Geocities members to start upgrading to the company's subscription-based Web Hosting service, although it assured them in a statement that they will still be able to access their sites and Geocities services until "later this year".

Let's all raise a toast in the memory of the home of the shittiest websites in the history of the interweb.  Who knows where all the crackpots and 12 year-olds will post their stupid shit from here on out.

Here.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Why is America failing?   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Sir Squid Diddimus

I will not miss it.

Geocities websites used to fuck up my old dinosaur of a computer back in the day.
i hated them.

Triple Zero

QuoteThe closure is also evidence that the revenue model for hosting free web sites is difficult to sustain, especially in the current economic climate.

Yahoo has encouraged Geocities members to start upgrading to the company’s subscription-based Web Hosting service, although it assured them in a statement that they will still be able to access their sites and Geocities services until “later this year”.

what fucking bullshit. this is websites of 10 years old we're talking about. back when you could generate more bandwidth by posting some floppy disks in the mail than you could with a phone+modem.

they could host all that stuff, all of it, for no more than 100 bucks a year, just for historical reasons.

just freeze the pages to cut down on maintenance.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Telarus

Should we start mining Geocities for Erisiana?
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Hahahaa man, I remember my Geocities webpage. It was craptacular.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BADGE OF HONOR

blogspot.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Corvidia

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on April 25, 2009, 09:58:20 PM

blogspot.
Myspace
One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret never to be told.

Pariah

Quote from: Laughtrack on April 25, 2009, 11:54:45 PM
Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on April 25, 2009, 09:58:20 PM

blogspot.
Myspace
Livejournal
Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Suu

*goes through her old Geoshitties sites and cleans up*

*found this*

:oops:

Don't even think it, boys. I was 17 at the time.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Iason Ouabache

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

bds

Quote from: Suu on April 26, 2009, 01:39:52 AM
*goes through her old Geoshitties sites and cleans up*

*found this*

:oops:

Don't even think it, boys. I was 17 at the time.

Holy sweet merciful :fap:!

the last yatto

summa and apocrypha aside is there enough to fill 20+ pages?

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dimension/8484/3stooges_stang.html
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/7971/panpleasant/z-warlockry.html

QuoteBURN YOUR RETINAS MORTAL!!!

Ok, just kidding.  This is the repository of secret Discoridan and lore of   High Wierdness.  Use well the secrets you see here, for if you do not, you may be subject to the cosmic Wu Fang(which is bad).

http://www.geocities.com/hygg/index2.htm  :horrormirth:

http://www.geocities.com/hygg/Gods.htm  :lol:
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit