News:

No, we're not mercenaries. We just carry weapons and kill things for the joy of the experience.

Main Menu

Book club planning thread and suggestions

Started by Cain, July 08, 2009, 07:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Modded: Moved to Literate Chaotic for suggestions on what to read and discus.

As proposed here http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=19893.msg724878#msg724878

What do you guys think?

LMNO

My first impression is, "cool!"

My second is "herding cats!"

My third is, "think of the arguments!"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on July 08, 2009, 08:06:20 PM
My first impression is, "cool!"

My second is "herding cats!"

My third is, "think of the arguments!"

In other words, YES!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

I suggest only books available on Torrent be admitted to book club.

Cain

Or my HD.

Not that there is much difference, nowadays.

LMNO

Good point.

Should we start it as a thread in Lit Chao, and see if it takes off enough to split?

Cain

Yeah, that would be a good place to also talk about what book we want to read, or what sort of topic (since I may not have precise texts).

LMNO

Suggestion: start out easy.  Catch-22 before Naked Lunch, and all that.

Cramulus

I think this is a good idea. Having people to discuss it with really increased my enjoyment/absorption of Black Swan, Art of Memetics, and Ourspace.

Triple Zero

I'll join this idea. Also because I wonder if I can keep up with you guys, I have the idea I read kind of slowly cause I get distracted a lot.

(A friend of mine just messaged me today why I had kept Transmetropolitan from him so long and I found out he read the entire series in two days, whereas I needed at least four on my holiday in Denmark this March. Well okay I had to watch some DVDs with friends and chat and drink white russians in between so I couldnt read non-stop)

Anyway, so I suppose we pick a title, set a date when everyone is supposed to have read the book, and form some questions and discussions about it? Is that how it goes? Would it be fun to also pick a time and discuss some in real time on the chat (separate channel), or perhaps the teamspag?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Sounds good, but I won't be able to IRC.

Cain

Given my access is going to be somewhat more limited over the next two months, the forum is better for me, as well.

Also, while those books sound OK, LMNO, I think something like The Art of Memetics or something which we can relate back to what we do here is also possibly a good route to take.

LMNO

I was just going for a familiar simile.  Relating back to PD.com is always a good idea.

Triple Zero

well that would be easy, I already read AoM :) but I could give it a second reading and take some notes.

stuff that's on my "been meaning to read" list:

- OurSpace
- Chicken Qabalah
- that new book by Neil Strauss "this book will save your life" or something, kind of has some connections with our Crazy Prepared thread
- Guns Germs and Steel
- Poker without cards? (what is that book about anyway, I heard it mentioned a few times)

ok that's what I got so far. I have hundreds of titles on my HD, but most of them I have no idea what they are about.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

fomenter

poker w/o cards is one i have heard mentioned a bunch and it has my curiosity too.
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp