My opinion > Your opinion

Main Menu

FWD: Testing

Started by Captain Utopia, July 17, 2009, 04:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Utopia

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 19, 2009, 08:59:45 AM
Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on July 19, 2009, 08:55:40 AM
Nah, Daruko would have already outed himself by now.

Give it time.  He lasted almost 3 days last time.
Um, paranoia? Is the obvious truth, that I am just who I say I am, with the motivations I present, so boring that something fanciful needs to be invented in its place?

Unless you're just trolling me still? You're not going to hurt my feelings you know. Yes that is a challenge. If you take me up on it then you've just fallen victim to an obvious cards-on-the-table here-it-is counter-troll. Seriously, I'm not worth your time.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 19, 2009, 07:23:01 AM
Now, please explain to me what REALLY REAL DISCORDIANISM FOR REALNESS is.  I mean, you are obviously so much more intelligent that we primates.
If I've given you the impression that that was my intent, or if that indeed has any relevance, then that is obviously a flaw on my part.

I think I've hit a nerve, and for that I'm truly sorry.

Faust

an old nerve, the context behind this is for years now we have gotten a lot of people who act like complete know-it-alls coming in here who make horrible assumptions and every single one thinks its the first time we have ever been graced with their like.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Captain Utopia

Quote from: ☂Faust☂ on July 19, 2009, 01:46:48 PM
an old nerve, the context behind this is for years now we have gotten a lot of people who act like complete know-it-alls coming in here who make horrible assumptions and every single one thinks its the first time we have ever been graced with their like.
I'm curious how much of this might be due to the Pygmalion effect - if newcomers who make a few mistakes are seen only in terms of reflections of what has come before, then can the newcomer be held completely responsible for the chaos which ensues?

Captain Utopia

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 19, 2009, 07:26:27 AM
Quote from: fictionpuss on July 19, 2009, 02:21:23 AM
Quote from: ☂Faust☂ on July 19, 2009, 01:46:25 AM
but otherwise you were probably asking a genuine question. That email is as old as the hills at this stage and its not that interesting an effect. What you said about belief being the key to the ability to do it is a pretty straightforward concept. Look around and you will see some good stuff on mindfucking yourself.
I know it's old - I gave up tracing it to 2005. The fact that it's a mindfuck which can be replicated in a few minutes, and presented to people who otherwise had no previous interest in mindfucks, or even the idea that they can switch their belief systems at will, does still make it interesting to me.. but I'll have to do more experimentation to see if giving permission to complete the exercise correctly neutralises the seeming physiological effect as reliably as it did with myself. I think it'd be neat to know of a simple quick mindfuck which works reliably on the "average person".

If that's your idea of a mindfuck, you should probably go join the Scientologists.  They're more your speed.
Well let me ask you a serious question for a moment - if you're trying to turn someone on for the cause, do you send them puppet-like through a series of pre-crafted mindfucks intended to land them at a predetermined perspective, or do you give them all of the tools as quickly as possible and assume that, the medium being the message, they'll come to similar conclusions as you already have?

This entire thread I've been under the assumption that, if anything, the interest to Discordians might be to turn it into one of many potential preliminary tools useful in the latter category above. So your assumption that I come here proclaiming that I have something/anything of vast importance to impart, or that I must think myself incredibly superior, is by definition false.

I mean yes, saying flatly to your face that you're wrong does initially seem to contradict what I write. But the difference is over something so incredibly tiny and trivial that it would be impossible for me to extract much meaning at all from it, if indeed I turned out to be correct.

Cramulus

a few mislaid assumptions:

-we're trying to turn you on for "the cause"
-several year old e-mail forwards are great topics to discuss
-if we don't agree with the previous point, it's because of some poison in our group dynamic

Captain Utopia

I hold none of those assumptions.

Quote from: Cramulus on July 19, 2009, 03:28:51 PM
     a few mislaid assumptions:

-we're trying to turn you on for "the cause"
It's apparent that I'm thought to be some secret agent "Daruku"  - that would make me a lost-cause. But I have seen mention of the general principle of turning people on to a particular cause, I don't think I'm mistaken about that. The latter is the only cause I referenced.

-several year old e-mail forwards are great topics to discuss
Again, no. I mean, the fact that it has survived in the meme-pool with several mutations for several years, does imply that it has some qualities which gave it that memetic fitness. If the study of such is pre-school level shit around here then I'm quite plainly hopelessly behind all of you.

-if we don't agree with the previous point, it's because of some poison in our group dynamic
Until such time that I discover evidence to the contrary, or the example in question is patiently explained to me.. I am helpless to believe otherwise.

Since we're obviously just wasting each others time at this point, can I suggest that it might be easier to just give me the benefit of the doubt as I'm asking for, and let me prove myself (if such is required/cared about/infinite disclaimers) in other, more productive threads?

Sir Squid Diddimus

Who called it?
Rog?
I think you're right dude.
Sounds like Daruko.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: fictionpuss on July 19, 2009, 01:38:33 PM
You're not going to hurt my feelings you know. Yes that is a challenge. If you take me up on it then you've just fallen victim to an obvious cards-on-the-table here-it-is counter-troll. Seriously, I'm not worth your time.

You mean I'd do just what you expected me to do?   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ☂Faust☂ on July 19, 2009, 01:46:48 PM

Score at the end of this thread:

TGRR 5
Faust 0

Just saying.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: fictionpuss on July 19, 2009, 02:57:55 PM

Well let me ask you a serious question for a moment - if you're trying to turn someone on for the cause,

I'm not. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Squid on July 19, 2009, 05:56:16 PM
Who called it?
Rog?
Sounds like Daruko.

We were due.

Captain Utopia

Who called it?
Rog?
Sounds like Daruko.
So you're saying that there's nothing I can say or do which would prove to you otherwise, and you're _not_ falling victim to your own memes?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: fictionpuss on July 19, 2009, 06:56:43 PM
Who called it?
Rog?
Sounds like Daruko.
So you're saying that there's nothing I can say or do which would prove to you otherwise, and you're _not_ falling victim to your own memes?

Oh, your psychology is devastating!  Now I doubt not only my own arguments, but my own existence!

:retard:

Captain Utopia

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 19, 2009, 06:24:51 PM
Quote from: fictionpuss on July 19, 2009, 01:38:33 PM
You're not going to hurt my feelings you know. Yes that is a challenge. If you take me up on it then you've just fallen victim to an obvious cards-on-the-table here-it-is counter-troll. Seriously, I'm not worth your time.

You mean I'd do just what you expected me to do?   :lulz:
No, dude, I've laid myself completely bare before you here. How can I say more plainly that we're at a rhetorical stalemate? We can continue this circle-jerk if you like, or we can explore common goals.

Your call.