News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

Mascot

Started by Cramulus, August 03, 2009, 04:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Actually, I think it is.  If I were any good at arts and crafts I'd take a stab at it. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

Quote from: Payne on August 03, 2009, 03:29:41 PM
Whatever the mascot is, it's going to be filled with massive contradictions, and will probably be impossible to fit into any kind of avatar due to the massive amount of different things it would have to represent.

Even the most basic philosophies of this place engender massive screeds of debate, argument and flame wars. There is the hideous and the cute, the intellectual and the silly, the disgusting and the sublime, the violence and the apathy. All of these things are important to PD, and any mascot would need to in some way reflect each of them in some way.

I'm not asking for a perfectly accurate map of the territory. Any avatar, by its nature, is going to be a gross simplification. For example, Mickey Mouse doesn't directly represent the ongoing destruction of the public domain perpetrated by Disney. But because he's a malleable symbol, he CAN represent it:

QuoteOne image kinda comes to mind though. A jailer in the background, with the inmate standing in the foreground and bars between them, but it being impossible to tell who is actually in the cell and who is outside it.

I like the figure/ground puzzle in this image. I also like it if the jailer and inmate are the same person, maybe in reverse colors.

something like...

Payne

Quote from: Cramulus on August 03, 2009, 03:42:23 PM
Quote from: Payne on August 03, 2009, 03:29:41 PM
Whatever the mascot is, it's going to be filled with massive contradictions, and will probably be impossible to fit into any kind of avatar due to the massive amount of different things it would have to represent.

Even the most basic philosophies of this place engender massive screeds of debate, argument and flame wars. There is the hideous and the cute, the intellectual and the silly, the disgusting and the sublime, the violence and the apathy. All of these things are important to PD, and any mascot would need to in some way reflect each of them in some way.

I'm not asking for a perfectly accurate map of the territory. Any avatar, by its nature, is going to be a gross simplification. For example, Mickey Mouse doesn't directly represent the ongoing destruction of the public domain perpetrated by Disney. But because he's a malleable symbol, he CAN represent it:

[pic snip]

I understand you don't need a perfect representation. We already have a perfect representation which is the forum itself. I just think it needs to be quite complex to be of any real use.

Payne

QuoteOne image kinda comes to mind though. A jailer in the background, with the inmate standing in the foreground and bars between them, but it being impossible to tell who is actually in the cell and who is outside it.

I like the figure/ground puzzle in this image. I also like it if the jailer and inmate are the same person, maybe in reverse colors.

something like...

Well, we could work with blue and orange, jailer and jailed as colours.

We can impose a number of meanings onto this if anyone asks about it, but it doesn't feel like it's too trite to me. Inmates running the asylum, you ARE in a cell like it or not, riffs on authority etc.

Captain Utopia

Faust

for me it will always be :sotw:
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cramulus

fomenter

i really though the ass-hat was a winner, it's Representative in so many ways  :lulz:... maybe a updated look with a  :horrormirth: tattoo on one arm and a bip on the other....

i will try to think of some fresh symbology for the pd experience..
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Requia ☣

actually

:lulz: this is our mascot
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

the last yatto

cant we go the geco insurance route and have an army of mascots? after all someone did want to make a BIP comic
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Cramulus

Quote from: la neige cône on August 04, 2009, 09:09:37 PM
cant we go the geco insurance route and have an army of mascots? after all someone did want to make a BIP comic

that would make sense. How would you divvy up the different aspects of PD?

maybe a different mascot for each subforum?

Template

Quote from: Payne on August 03, 2009, 04:24:17 PM

something like...

Well, we could work with blue and orange, jailer and jailed as colours.

We can impose a number of meanings onto this if anyone asks about it, but it doesn't feel like it's too trite to me. Inmates running the asylum, you ARE in a cell like it or not, riffs on authority etc.

Well, I tried to synthesize (color scheme), (jailer and prisoner indistinguishable), and proposed image above, with the following result:

Maybe without a margin:

Maybe not...

A more realistic silhouette fare better in this treatment.

Roaring Biscuit!

Quote from: yhnmzw on August 04, 2009, 11:08:42 PM

this makes my brain cry.

i'd like to nominate a Faceless Man for mascot, or mascot inclusion, as Discordia can be pretty much anything to anyone. i.e.  you can project what you like onto it.

Template

Quote from: Roaring Biscuit! on August 04, 2009, 11:15:23 PM
Quote from: yhnmzw on August 04, 2009, 11:08:42 PM

this makes my brain cry.

i'd like to nominate a Faceless Man for mascot, or mascot inclusion, as Discordia can be pretty much anything to anyone. i.e.  you can project what you like onto it.

Mine too, tbh.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cramulus on August 04, 2009, 10:28:19 PM
that would make sense. How would you divvy up the different aspects of PD?

The rage of PD:

The horrormirth of PD:
or maybe

The antipathy of PD:

The humor of PD:

The intellect of PD: