News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

Update on the Antikythera Machine (BC Steampunk)

Started by Telarus, August 03, 2009, 05:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2009/07/jo-marchant-consultant-from-sw.html

QuoteJuly 29, 2009 12:59 PM
World's first computer may be even older than thought
antik1.jpgJo Marchant, consultant

From Swiss Army knives to iPhones, it seems we just love fancy gadgets with as many different functions as possible. And judging from the ancient Greek Antikythera mechanism, the desire to impress with the latest multipurpose must-have item goes back at least 2000 years.

This mysterious box of tricks was a portable clockwork computer, dating from the first or second century BC. Operated by turning a handle on the side, it modelled the movements of the Sun, Moon and planets through the sky, sported a local calendar, star calendar and Moon-phase display, and could even predict eclipses and track the timing of the Olympic games.

... [MOAR]...

They backdated it due to a recent translation of one of the regional Games that went into the Olympic scheduler that this BlackberryBC had equipped. Also, go see the updated animation. As someone with 3d training, working out that quality from x-ray scans was srsly impressive.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Bu🤠ns

BADGE OF HONOR

Ugh, stupid people in the comments are insisting that it's not a computer.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Requia ☣

Its not.  A computer is programmable.  (Or an actual person, if we're talking pre WWII terminology).
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Bu🤠ns

i'm not an expert on the terminology but wouldn't the construction of the components be constituted as 'the programming'?

BADGE OF HONOR

Yes.  It calculates the positions of planets in future dates among many other things.  It's absolutely stunning the kind of craftsmanship and mathematics that had to go into making it.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on August 03, 2009, 06:42:39 AM
Yes.  It calculates the positions of planets in future dates among many other things.  It's absolutely stunning the kind of craftsmanship and mathematics that had to go into making it.
Especially considering that they were using a geocentric model of the Solar System. I still can't believe that it took them that long to figure out that the sun goes in the middle.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Requia ☣

Quote from: 冷蔵庫 ც℧ℜℕ∫ on August 03, 2009, 06:40:31 AM
i'm not an expert on the terminology but wouldn't the construction of the components be constituted as 'the programming'?

No thats engineering.  If you try to change what it does the entire device fails.  You have to build from the ground up (or nearly) to create a similar device that adds in the planets that have been discovered since it was created.

Further, a computer is based on symbolic logic, this thing probably predates formal logic, and almost certainly predates any formal logic more advanced than Aristotle's.

That said, building this thing would be soooo much harder than writing any piddling computer program.

Remington

We really don't give the ancients enough credit nowadays  :argh
They were some pretty smart dudes, building this crap while fending off dinosaurs.
Is it plugged in?

Cramulus

Quote from: Havok on August 28, 2009, 07:47:07 AM
We really don't give the ancients enough credit nowadays  :argh
They were some pretty smart dudes, building this crap while fending off dinosaurs.

we give them too much credit. I suspect some kind of Flintstones / Jetsons crossover.

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Requia ☣ on August 03, 2009, 06:27:48 AM
Its not.  A computer is programmable.  (Or an actual person, if we're talking pre WWII terminology).

:facepalm:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Requia ☣

I'm sorry, I forgot dictionary people were experts in the field of mathematical history.   :roll:

Requia ☣

http://www.cciw.com/content/computer_etymology.html better link,

Edit: I just proved myself wrong didn't I?