News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

Thick Black Theory

Started by Cain, August 18, 2009, 08:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Thick Black Theory is a philosophical treatise written by Li Zongwu (1879-1944) a disgruntled politician and scholar, born at the end of Qing dynasty. It was published in China in 1911. 1911 was a year of chaos in China, when Sun Yat-sen overthrew the Ching dynasty and set up the Chinese Republic. It may be regarded as the Chinese equivalent of Machiavelli's The Prince.

Li was a scientist of political intrigue. He wrote: "When you conceal your will from others, that is Thick. When you impose your will on others, that is Black (Dark)." Thick Black Theory describes the ruthless, hypocritical means men use to obtain and hold power: "thick faces" (shamelessness), "black heart" (cruelty),according to author's view of history. It went through several printings before being banned in China as subversive.

Li argued that "A great hero is no more than a person who is impudent and wicked." According to Li, the wickedest of all was Cao Cao. "I would rather betray someone than be betrayed." It shows how black Cao Cao' s heart was inside. Li picked Liu Bei (king of one rival kingdom competing with Cao's) as the highly-skilled person with a "thick face". He never thought it shameful to live inside another's fence. He was also a frequent crier, appealing to others' sympathy. There is even a humorous saying, "Liu Bei's JiangShan (kingdom) was obtained through his crying."

Before the Cultural Revolution, Mao Zedong studied "Houheixue" which is the "Thick Black Theory" or "Thick and Dark Theory". Hou is first word of "thick face" in Chinese; it means having a thick hide. Hei means black or dark in Chinese; it means having a dark mind in the context. During the 1980s, news spread that Mao had studied the Thick Black Theory and Li Zhongwu was in the spotlight again. In Beijing during the 1990s, many books related to the Thick Black Theory, "thick-black-ology", were published. In fact,this theory becomes one of basic presumptions or hypothesis especially in economy activities, sometimes even subconscious.

http://avaxhome.ws/ebooks/Thick_Black_Theory.html

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I like my politics like I like my coffee....

Thick and Black

:lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

So, it's The Art of War with no scruples, honor, or morals, then?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I thought this thread was going to be about sex.  :sad:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on August 18, 2009, 08:40:08 PM
So, it's The Art of War with no scruples, honor, or morals, then?

Hard to say, since it is very short, and makes constant reference to other Chinese texts, heroes and historical events and works on the assumption the reader knows all of these already.

Elder Iptuous

is there a version for the ignorant westerner with extensive footnotes out there?

Cain

This is supposed to be the only English translation.